Do I HAVE to count calories?

Options

Replies

• NOMORECARS
    NOMORECARS Posts: 156
    Options
    Why the hell hasn't this trainwreck been locked?
    Because other people might not agree with your solution to problems.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Yes, very real, and driving is VERY DEADLY.
    Some of us live in states that get very cold in the Winter, some of us have very long commutes. Some of us travel around to other states, even other countries, places too far to travel on some electric scooter thing.

Get off your soap box dude, you solution is not workable for a huge chunk of the population, even if we wanted to do it.

Too bad Americans have no choice about where they live and work, eh?

Few do.
    Does the government mandate that you live as far away from work as possible and at least 20 miles from the nearest grocery store? Does the government also mandate that your only means of transportation can be a luxurious sofa enclosed by at least a ton of tin and to burn a hundred times more energy than would otherwise be needed to get you where you are going? Did you also know that the average horse cannot last for a marathon at top speed while humans can do it easily(unless they have forced themselves into an automotive stupor)?

uh, the government may not but housing availability, the job market and financial standing does. I'm 22 and understand the basic life situations that many fall into. How are you nearly 40 yrs my senior and think people have 100% choice in their situation? Must be nice. Rich parents?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I'm just beginning to try to lose weight, and I think that counting calories might just be more effort/more destructive or discouraging...thoughts?

You DO NOT NEED TO COUNT CALORIES. Eat as much as you can possibly stuff into yourself, just be sure that everything you eat is FOOD. You will be healthy beyond belief in several months. p.s. Doritos and Pepsi is not food. Stay out of bakeries, bakeries do not sell food. Candy stores do not sell food. 90% of your local supermarket shelves are filled with substances which are not food. People can never become obese by eating food.

Seriously? No, this is WRONG. YES, you should be eating REAL food, but not "as much as you can possibly stuff into yourself". It is absurd to think you will not gain weight by eating unlimited amounts of anything. It is STILL calories in verses calories out!

Seriously, when you nourish your body properly you will discover natural limitations on how much you can eat because your body will tell you when it has had enough. This does not happen with food-like substances from a bakery, candy store or Doritos bag. Contrary to popular belief, it is not calories in/calories out. Eating too little will put your body in starvation mode and slow your metabolism. Eating more will quite often help in losing weight as long as you only eat food. Chemicals which resemble food such as Doritos do not have this same effect and the calories in/calories out theory will indeed occur. Deprivation is an extremely idiotic and ineffective method of losing weight.

All these things are factually wrong and your advice has been proven over and over to be largely counterproductive and ineffective.

LOL, NO WONDER THERE IS AN OBESITY EPIDEMIC. I GIVE UP. ENJOY YOUR DORITOS AND BE SURE TO TAKE YOUR METHFORMIN REGULARLY.

I like Doritos,have eaten them many times.
    And yet I am not obese and indeed I have never been obese.

Amazing,hey?

You're just a special snowflake, or whatever people say around here. You know full and well that eating Doritos, if even only one time a year, or a few a day, will MAKE YOUR *kitten* HUGE. Oh Goodness, don't you get me started, you. I bet you drive a vehicle and use a computer that transmits CANCEROUS RAYS into your brain, you orange cheese finger licking demon.

Despite thousands of years of evolution (thousands, right?) the human body is so fragile that it simply cannot handle any foods that cave men weren't able to eat! Do you think that Adam and Eve went to 7/11 in their Mustang and bought Slurpees and chips??? NO! They ate APPLES, AND AS MANY AS THEY COULD HUMANLY INGEST. Do you think they had fat *kitten*? NO.

We need to turn up the prayer conditioning in this thread.

hahaha :laugh::laugh: :laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I bet chronic sleep deprivation is responsible for a lot of deaths too. Isn't it time for certain people in this thread to get some sleep?
  • NOMORECARS
    Options
    Yes, very real, and driving is VERY DEADLY.
    Some of us live in states that get very cold in the Winter, some of us have very long commutes. Some of us travel around to other states, even other countries, places too far to travel on some electric scooter thing.

Get off your soap box dude, you solution is not workable for a huge chunk of the population, even if we wanted to do it.

Too bad Americans have no choice about where they live and work, eh?

Few do.
    Does the government mandate that you live as far away from work as possible and at least 20 miles from the nearest grocery store? Does the government also mandate that your only means of transportation can be a luxurious sofa enclosed by at least a ton of tin and to burn a hundred times more energy than would otherwise be needed to get you where you are going? Did you also know that the average horse cannot last for a marathon at top speed while humans can do it easily(unless they have forced themselves into an automotive stupor)?

uh, the government may not but housing availability, the job market and financial standing does. I'm 22 and understand the basic life situations that many fall into. How are you nearly 40 yrs my senior and think people have 100% choice in their situation? Must be nice. Rich parents?
    When I was 22 and in university, I always chose where I lived so that I could walk to school. My standard of living was not upto the expectations of modern youth and I took what I could get. I have spent most of my life living in places that would be beneath you but I did it by choice. Modern youth demands an unrealistic degree of luxury and when they fail to procure it they scream that they have no choice. Hence the appellation: ME, I, GENERATION.
    Speaking of rich parents, how can someone pay an average of over $800. per month to own and operate an automobile and then complain they cannot afford high rent closer to the city? LOL
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Bill, you have such simplistic views on everything - most people have limited choices, work is not available wherever they want it, at the pay they want and with affordable housing etc - most people make complicated choices weighing up pros and cons of situations.

Yes of course some people can manage fine without driving a car - but not everyone is in such situation or would want to change their other circumstances to be so - and anyway this is largely irelevant to weight loss.

Poster above made joking response to me eating Doritos - but he/she is right - I do drive a car, I do own a computer and a TV.
    I also walk to work sometimes - but I am not silly enough to think therefore everyone everywhere can walk to work too.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I commute to and from work in a car. I also use a car to go to the store. I'm also a healthy weight and in really good physical condition.

Does this make me an outlier?
  • NOMORECARS
    Options
    work is not available wherever they want it, at the pay they want

I WANT being the two operative words of this generation.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I guess Bill has me muted...probably because of the irrefutable logic in my questions.

Now I'll never know how I managed to defy the odds.

ETA: and my comment on sleep deprivation and my question about how I managed to add weight (at a calorie surplus) while avoiding white sugar/flour and drop weight (at a calorie deficit) while eating those foods.
  • Menecairiel
    Menecairiel Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm just beginning to try to lose weight, and I think that counting calories might just be more effort/more destructive or discouraging...thoughts?

Want to lose weight? Eat less. How do you know you are eating less? Counting calories.

More effort? Than what, just doing the motion from plate to mouth?
    More destructive? As opposed to overeating?
    Discouraging? What, losing weight is discouraging?

If you are lazy or have no will power, dieting will not work. You have to have will power to make it work.

tumblr_inline_mrtkt1FlmQ1qz4rgp_zpsbdd3ab11.gif
  • paperpudding
    Options
    work is not available wherever they want it, at the pay they want

I WANT being the two operative words of this generation.

My point was that people make complicated choices weighing up pros/cons of situations, - don't make my sentence into something it wasn't.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Why the hell hasn't this trainwreck been locked?
    Because other people might not agree with your solution to problems.

What the hell are you even talking about?

This thread has gone wildly off tangent and the last several pages have turned into a b*t*h n' bash fest.

The fact that this hasn't been locked is baffling, as it's now agaisnt the rules. This has nothing to do with my "solution to problems".
  • Menecairiel
    Options
    When I was 22 and in university, I always chose where I lived so that I could walk to school. My standard of living was not upto the expectations of modern youth and I took what I could get. I have spent most of my life living in places that would be beneath you but I did it by choice. Modern youth demands an unrealistic degree of luxury and when they fail to procure it they scream that they have no choice. Hence the appellation: ME, I, GENERATION.
    Speaking of rich parents, how can someone pay an average of over $800. per month to own and operate an automobile and then complain they cannot afford high rent closer to the city? LOL

It's not just about that. It's about what is available at the time, if landlords want to let to them, ect.

Not being funny, but I don't drive because the choice I had when I was 18 was a driver's license or my parents helping me with moving abroad. I chose to go and study abroad. I ended up in London. I don't live central (could never afford to and even working full time I can't afford that), but I take public transport in. I am lucky, my work is not that far away from where I live. But many who I work with have cars and attempt to drive into work because it is cheaper than the public transport costs (or pretty much the same). I think I too would prefer being in a warm car with my own space and music, rather than standing at a train platform freezing my backside off, only to spend the rest of the journey with someone's armpit in my face.

So, I get it. I also get that people are less active than before. In the 70s, people ate more calories than we did. Worse diets, more booze, full fat milk...so what was their secret? More exercise. We get it.

Thing is, counting calories help. Not everyone's blessed with parks or nature close by, or can afford the gym. For some, calories is all that can be cut in order to stay healthy.

And don't tar everyone with the same brush either. I might of a certain generation but it doesn't mean we are all the same. Individuals. Different people. Different stories. Different cultures. It's not just being born in a certain decade. Human beings are more complicated than that.
  • Heatherybit
    Heatherybit Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories and am still losing weight. I don't walk marathons everyday either.
    I don't walk to lose weight; I walk because that is what humans are built for, not strapped into a tin box to burn gasoline.

I like counting calories, don't have to. As for this comment ^^^ what are people that live in states like Minnesota supposed to do when it's 30-? The winters are slippery and riding a bike is not possible, not eveyone lives in California.

As someone who lives in Minnesota and seeing ice still on the Lake outside my window..EXACTLY!
  • Menecairiel
    Options
    I don't count calories and am still losing weight. I don't walk marathons everyday either.
    I don't walk to lose weight; I walk because that is what humans are built for, not strapped into a tin box to burn gasoline.

I like counting calories, don't have to. As for this comment ^^^ what are people that live in states like Minnesota supposed to do when it's 30-? The winters are slippery and riding a bike is not possible, not eveyone lives in California.

As someone who lives in Minnesota and seeing ice still on the Lake outside my window..EXACTLY!

As someone who comes from somewhere so cold the Scandies fled to Minnesota from there...can't bloody blame you!

Cars have their uses. Like preventing you from freezing to death just to get to school.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    DEAR
    SHMEREK:
    IF ALL THESE STUDIES ARE NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU, LEARN TO SPELL G-O-O-G-L-E AND YOU WILL FIND HUNDREDS MORE....DUDE

Perhaps next time you should consider rounding up sources from scholar.google.com. That's where you'll find peer-reviewed, valid, academically supported resources to support or debunk claims. As for links directly from google, you can find articles, blogs, and other pieces that support any claim at all.

In other news, I thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment value of this thread.
    tumblr_m4wrcbeBrP1rqfhi2o1_250.gif
  • Snoof1980
    Snoof1980 Posts: 4
    Options
    DO NOT DRIVE AT ALL-EVER. 61 YEARS OLD NEVER HAD A CAR.

I'M 34 YEARS OLD AND ALSO HAVE NEVER HAD A CAR. ARE WE SUPPOSED TO EXPECT PEOPLE TO GIVE A RAT'S *kitten*?

Buddy, I gotta hand it to you. I've seen a lot of trolls in my time on the interwebs, but you are truly taking it to a whole new level.

....Kinda sad for someone your age, though. You'd think someone who is 61 YEARS OLD would be able to find something more productive to do with his time.
  • Menecairiel
    Options
    In other news, I thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment value of this thread.
    tumblr_m4wrcbeBrP1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

This thread is shiong mao niao. In a rather addictive way, actually. Sorry, couldn't resist! Your tracker made me sigh wistfully.
  • NOMORECARS
    Options
    I guess Bill has me muted...probably because of the irrefutable logic in my questions.
    Take 2 people with exactly the same diet and explain why the two of them are different people. This is your logic. I have no response.
  • NOMORECARS
    Options

The winters are slippery and riding a bike is not possible, not eveyone lives in California.

CALIFORNIA??? I LIVE IN CANADA DUDE.