Completed Week 1...need some encouragement

Options
Please tell me I can do this. :( It's really hard. I hope this gets easier.

Replies

• aprylfischer
    Options
    You can do it! What are you doing exactly? General weight loss or a specific program?
  • karlydaniels
    karlydaniels Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You CAN DO THIS! you ARE doing this, you just need to keep going!

I am also at the end of my first week, and feeling pretty damn good actually. now I've got the eating right it's time to focus on exercising..

add me if you need some support I don't mind giving you a daily kick up the bum if you need it?
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is hard.
    Yes, it gets easier.
    YES! You can totally do it!!!
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    My routine is doing the treadmill 6 days/wk for 30+ minutes. Staying within calorie limit. No pop. No candy. No fast food. Limiting sodium intake as well. It's just hard when other people around you are making bad food choices and you want to just give in. I haven't gave in yet. But I feel like I'm going to break soon. And I don't want to give in b/c if I do then I'll get no where. Since Jan 1 I've only lost 2.4 lbs. So with the slightest mistake I could gain that back.
  • lfondots
    lfondots Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Little steps are the easiest. Also, I think the hardest party is sticking to it. Try eating smaller meals and about every 3 hours but stay with the calorie intake. That way you don't get hungry. Drink lots of water also. That is my biggest problem. Good luck and you have started. Don't give up!
  • crystallayne
    crystallayne Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It does get easier!!! After week one your body adapts. Don't worry you can do this!
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Breaking habits you've had for years isn't going to happen overnight. Your mind has a set way of thinking and blocking out things like unconscious eating.

Reward yourself for the accomplishments, if you went over your cals but still didn't eat as much as the day before that's great! If you came on everyday for a week and read some posts by other people and tried something new Excellent!

With exercise remember you DON'T have to do it all in one shot. 30 minutes can be divided into three 10 minutes intervals. Remember something that seems to boring like shoveling snow IS Exercise, mowing the lawn IS Exercise. Rather than leave stuff that has to go upstairs in a basket and take it all up at once, take each item up seperately.

Add friends. Reading their struggles lets you know you're not alone. Reading their accomplishments encourages you to do better as well. Having someone to stalk you when you go MIA for a few too many days is a great safety.

YOU CAN DO THIS! It won't happen in a week or a month. Learning healthy eating and exercise habits is a lifetime commitment.
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes I have noticed that after a few days I'm getting less hungry as I usually am. I also get full faster with smaller meals rather than having to have a huge meal. I'm someone though who "food makes me happy". So I've not been in the best mood and others are starting to notice my mood.
  • erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week! You probably won't see a big change in the scale the first few weeks because you're gaining muscle. Believe me, though, you'll start to SEE changes. Like tone in your arms in legs, and fewer inches around your middle.

No one can be 100% disciplined for months on end. Believe me, a week of "perfect" eating and exercise and I'm about to snap! I make sure to do a tough workout on Sat so I can have my Red Mango frozen yogurt or that beer when we meet up with friends. You have to have little splurges here and there to stay sane. Just don't make those splurges more than 300 calories or so and you can reverse your progress.

I truly believe the first few weeks are the hardest because it's the most drastic shock to your system and change in habits. It takes 30 days to kick a bad habit and 90 to form a new one. Stick with it! Put up motivators around your house too! I have "before" pics on my screensaver and inspirational photos and messages on my fridge. They're corny, but they really do help!
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    Yes, you can definitely lose weight! I will give you a tip though, maybe you want to make sure you allow yourself a teeny indulgence once in a while, don´t make it overly harsh. There´s a forum topic about chocolate cravings that can give you an idea about what people do so they don´t have to give up EVERYTHING. That way you can give up one thing that really might give you trouble (such as pop for example, I gave that up years ago, but each person is different so that´s a decision you have to make) but indulge in something else by finding a lower caloric option for it, or making sure you limit your amount to a very small amount for example.
  • Eyesee
    Eyesee Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    2.4 pounds is AWESOME. You're a little ahead to lose the 40 by June. (2 pounds per week). The first week can definitely be the hardest, because you're breaking so many old habits and your body is fighting the change, but it's great that you noticed already that you're starting to adapt to the new routine. You can do it, and you've already proven that with your loss this week. The doubt that you're feeling is just your mind getting you down-- not an objective look at your progress. Seriously, I hope you realize what you're are capable and have accomplished, because that's the truth, not the low self-esteem that's making you think negatively about it.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Anyone can do it. Just a matter of how badly you want it. Do you want to be fit and healthy or not? Do you want unhealthy foods and habits to be in control, or do YOU want to be in control? Every time you are tempted to make a bad choice, ask yourself those questions (or whatever works for you), what you do after that will then answer them.

It's a bit of an ego trip, but while everyone around you is eating unhealthy foods and doing unhealthy things...you need to constantly congratulate yourself on being able to do what *they* will not do, making healthy choices for yourself. That doesn't mean you can never have a treat, but it does mean controlling in a healthy and moderate way how you give yourself that treat.

One last thing. You say "only 2.4 pounds in a week". That's a very respectable loss! Personally, I don't think people should try to lose more than 2 pounds per week (unless directed and guided by a doctor, of course). I try to stick with 1 to 1.5 pounds per week, I figure it is easier to make lifetime changes in my habits that way, and it won;t be as big of a transition to make when I go into maintenance mode after I make my goal weight.

Add me as a friend if you like. We can help motivate each other :)
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Trust me...the first 2 weeks are the hardest...but if you keep at it..it will become a routine!

Keep pushing, DO NOT GIVE UP!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,362 Member
    Options
    2.4 pounds is AWESOME. You're a little ahead to lose the 40 by June. (2 pounds per week). The first week can definitely be the hardest, because you're breaking so many old habits and your body is fighting the change, but it's great that you noticed already that you're starting to adapt to the new routine. You can do it, and you've already proven that with your loss this week. The doubt that you're feeling is just your mind getting you down-- not an objective look at your progress. Seriously, I hope you realize what you're are capable and have accomplished, because that's the truth, not the low self-esteem that's making you think negatively about it.

I could not have said it better! Congrats on 2 pounds! Keep up the good work!
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
  • bluebeta
    Options
    Your doing great, keep up the good work. Remember Rome wasn't conquered in a day nor will bad habits be conquered in a day. Take baby steps one week focus on counting calories, the next week add watching sodium levels, then continue to add every week until you are happy and healthy.
  • MelanieP_TX
    MelanieP_TX Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a couple wks and try not to give up! Before you know it you will lose your first 10 and then it will seem like the weight is flying off!!! You won't want to go back to your old ways! TRUST THE PROCESS!!!
  • Dori1213
    Options
    YOu can do anything you put your mind to....keep it up..we will be hot...lol....
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO THIS!

The result you want to get too is totally WORTH IT!

Its a long journey but you will gain so much out of it; self confidence, comfort in your own skin, SMALLER CLOTHES!! :) Plus, health benefits.
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    Yeah I think I was being too hard on myself This morning I was at 178.6 So from Jan 1 that's a 3.4 lb loss Regardless of the 3 of the scale (I'm not losing inches yet) I still feel better when I exercise :)