Nerds Unite!

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm super heavy into Pac Man and Monopoly.

This is how I'm feeling right now. I used to think I was nerdy but apparently not. I just got ousted by a pretty clear set of nerds who apparently didn't think I was nerdy enough for them probably because i'm more b!tchy than nerdy and what's more even more honest than even both those things. I don't know all I know is the queen nerd started pushing all their insecure nerd buttons and exploiting whatever leftover nerd feels they still have from whenever high school or prom or whatever. So yeah ENNUI if you wanna start a club where Pac Man and Monopoly are enough I'd like to join it with my ardour for maths and strange words like ardour ...that's all I got.

Ardour is a great word. And in realm of nerdisms and the love of math and strange words may I suggest the writer that battled ennui (but not ENNUI) writing about love, linguistics and coming of age; all that in:

Ada or Ardor by Nabokov

May it give you the joy it gave me.

And The Chess Player but that's not his.

:flowerforyou:

okay but i'm currently in a re-read of Viktor Frankl's--man's search for meaning. I'm thinking of doing a second re-read once I'm done and then I'll go on to those you suggested. Thanks for those suggestions b/c this Frank'l book had me wanting to follow up with Treblinka but I think that's not a good read during summer vacay. Now I can read these during vacay and hold off on Treblinka re-read until fall. :flowerforyou:
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lp7de332HG1qgbccyo1_500.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    tumblr_lp7de332HG1qgbccyo1_500.jpg

lolololol.....That's like when a fashion girl shows up with coach logo Knee high boots, a gucci logo'd oversized purse, AND oversized Prada sunghalsses...trying too hard.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

This is how I'm feeling right now. I used to think I was nerdy but apparently not. I just got ousted by a pretty clear set of nerds who apparently didn't think I was nerdy enough for them probably because i'm more b!tchy than nerdy and what's more even more honest than even both those things. I don't know all I know is the queen nerd started pushing all their insecure nerd buttons and exploiting whatever leftover nerd feels they still have from whenever high school or prom or whatever. So yeah ENNUI if you wanna start a club where Pac Man and Monopoly are enough I'd like to join it with my ardour for maths and strange words like ardour ...that's all I got.

Ardour is a great word. And in realm of nerdisms and the love of math and strange words may I suggest the writer that battled ennui (but not ENNUI) writing about love, linguistics and coming of age; all that in:

Ada or Ardor by Nabokov

okay but i'm currently in a re-read of Viktor Frankl's--man's search for meaning. I'm thinking of doing a second re-read once I'm done and then I'll go on to those you suggested. Thanks for those suggestions b/c this Frank'l book had me wanting to follow up with Treblinka but I think that's not a good read during summer vacay. Now I can read these during vacay and hold off on Treblinka re-read until fall. :flowerforyou:

Defintely not vacay reading but Treblinka is excellent.
    If you go that way (and these are excellent but hard reads) I'd add:

- Solzhenitsyn - Day in the Life ... and Gulag Archipelago
    - Periodic Table, Survival, Search for Roots, If This is a Man - Primo Levi
    - Night - Wiesel (although I confuse this Levi's work)

- The Reader (a different view point) - Schlink?
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    mylittlepony-ogre-nerds.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Ada or Ardor by Nabokov

Defintely not vacay reading but Treblinka is excellent.
    If you go that way (and these are excellent but hard reads) I'd add:

- Solzhenitsyn - Day in the Life ... and Gulag Archipelago
    - Periodic Table, Survival, Search for Roots, If This is a Man - Primo Levi
    - Night - Wiesel (although I confuse this Levi's work)

- The Reader (a different view point) - Schlink?

then those will follow Treblinka. I've already read it twice and so know too well it is NOT vacay reading. However it is important IMO. Every once in awhile something on the news catches my eye and I feel compelled to re-read it. So I will choose on or two of those to follow Treblinka in the fall. Knowing that you know Treblinka helps me be confident in those suggestions. I'm liking the Ada description right now I found on Wiki. Sounds perfect for lounging by the pool or beach.
  • Heatherybit
    Heatherybit Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Loving the Firefly Ticker! Shiney!

wink-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-2550.gif

I'll be in my bunk!
  • apple_cakes
    apple_cakes Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Erin and I make cosplay costumes from scratch because it's fun. I like to game and I get really passionate about tv shows :flowerforyou:
  • Not_Famous
    Not_Famous Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Not_Famous, I'm a full time student trying to get my computer science degree. But when I'm not doing homework or studying, I'm watching Doctor Who, X-Files, SHIELD, etc... or playing video games. I would like more cool nerdy friends. feel free to add me.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I don't think we're trying to outnerd each other..... I think we're reveling in our shared passions. :)

Why do some people have problems with that, anyway? Can't we just exuberantly enjoy the things that we like?

9c17e124ca4676a199c5b3723eecec7b.jpg
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm a nerd, I don't really care if it fits anyone elses definition of "nerd" or not. I don't see any nerd one-upping in here. It's a label that people identify with - and a cool way to meet like-minded people without judgment. I don't get the umbrage from some in this thread. *shrug*

Things I love:

Anything to do with Harry Potter. ANYTHING.
    Video games - I tend toward indie titles rather than mainstream, mostly because I prefer to game on my PC and they are cheap. Minecraft, Binding of Isaac, Cube World - to name a few.
    Anything to do with Zombies (excepting love stories - can't go there).
    Anything to do with GRRM.
    The Goonies (a sequel coming out? YES, PLEASE).
    Pitch Perfect - random I know, but deep, deep love for this movie.
    Reading - ALL THE THINGS.
    I recently started playing MTG, but I'm not very good at it yet.

I don't watch Dr. Who, but I do enjoy Sherlock (Benedict, nom). I enjoy shows like The Fringe, Warehouse 13 and stuff like that. Right now we're binge watching The Killing on Netflix.

So, that's me :)
  • Samphires
    Samphires Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow nerds,

I'm 25, medical student, all-round nerd who loves getting obsessive about things and i have 100lbs to lose. Would love some buddies on MFP to help keep me motivated, feel free to add me :)

Samphire xx
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm a nerd!!

My nerdly activities include.

Minecraft: however I dont like the regular mine craft anymore i'll play it with friends but I prefer to play Minecraft MadPack 1.4.7. Its got magic and harder monster and sooooo many different blocks I love it.

Minecraft unfortunately is also keeping me from working out like I should. So I'm trying to cut back!

I have a PS3 and XBOX360. I'm currently playing FFX in HD on ps3. Its very pretty.
    I also play CoD games and have Titanfall, Terraria, DayZ and stuff on my computer. But all this health stuff is taking priority. I love watching PewDIePie on Youtube as well. I just found him on there believe it or not and he is hilarious.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Minecraft: however I dont like the regular mine craft anymore i'll play it with friends but I prefer to play Minecraft MadPack 1.4.7. Its got magic and harder monster and sooooo many different blocks I love it.

Minecraft unfortunately is also keeping me from working out like I should. So I'm trying to cut back!

I have a PS3 and XBOX360. I'm currently playing FFX in HD on ps3. Its very pretty.
    I also play CoD games and have Titanfall, Terraria, DayZ and stuff on my computer. But all this health stuff is taking priority. I love watching PewDIePie on Youtube as well. I just found him on there believe it or not and he is hilarious.

Have you heard of Feed The Beast? They make lots of different sorts of modpacks for the masses. Lots of fun in there.

I watch YT, too. My favorite is Etho's Lab.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi there :] My name is Abby, I'm 29 with 200 lbs to lose. I've always wanted to go to an anime convention and do some cosplaying but never have because of my weight. Really hoping that after I get close to the size I want that i'll be able to start doing that.

I've been an anime fan for 20-some years now. Eventually my love for it got me travelling to Japan and staying in Okinawa for a month with cousins. I'd love to eventually be able to go back.

I also roleplay, and write short fantasy stories. All my roleplay has been textual, dating back to the chatrooms of AOL 3.0.... to this day I still keep in touch with some of the buds I RP'd with back when I was like 10 :)

Abby and everyone else who said they didn't want to cosply because of their weight - I'm a photographer and shot an anime convention last year. It was super fun and there were people of all shapes, sizes, ages, etc. there. Don't wait - just go. You'll be glad you did! Everyone there had a great time and the people there were so accepting of everyone's different styles and interests.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I don't think we're trying to outnerd each other..... I think we're reveling in our shared passions. :)

Why do some people have problems with that, anyway? Can't we just exuberantly enjoy the things that we like?

9c17e124ca4676a199c5b3723eecec7b.jpg

Wil Wheaton on being a nerd:

"So, there’s going to be a thing in your life that you love. I don’t know what that’s going to be … and it doesn’t matter what it is. The way you love that, and the way that you find other people who love it the way you do is what makes you a nerd. The defining characteristic of [being a nerd] is that we love things. Some of us love Firefly and some of us love Game of Thrones, or Star Trek, or Star Wars, or anime, or games, or fantasy, or science fiction. Some of us love completely different things. But we all love those things SO much that we travel for thousands of miles … we come from all over the world, so that we can be around people who love the things the way that we love them.

That’s why being a nerd is awesome. And don’t let anyone tell you that that thing that you love is a thing that you can’t love. Don’t anyone ever tell you that you can’t love that, that’s for boys … you find the things that you love, and you love them the most that you can."

eta: whole speech here:

http://uproxx.com/tv/2013/05/wil-wheaton-explains-to-a-newborn-what-it-means-to-be-a-nerd/
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options

I read MSFM so long ago... all I remember about it was half a book about how much it sucked to be a Jew in WW2 and then another half a book about how most peoples problems could easily be solved if one just understood why they didn't go and kill themselves when things got rough (aka Logotherapy).
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm a nerd, I don't really care if it fits anyone elses definition of "nerd" or not. I don't see any nerd one-upping in here. It's a label that people identify with - and a cool way to meet like-minded people without judgment. I don't get the umbrage from some in this thread. *shrug*

Things I love:

Anything to do with Harry Potter. ANYTHING.
    Video games - I tend toward indie titles rather than mainstream, mostly because I prefer to game on my PC and they are cheap. Minecraft, Binding of Isaac, Cube World - to name a few.
    Anything to do with Zombies (excepting love stories - can't go there).
    Anything to do with GRRM.
    The Goonies (a sequel coming out? YES, PLEASE).
    Pitch Perfect - random I know, but deep, deep love for this movie.
    Reading - ALL THE THINGS.
    I recently started playing MTG, but I'm not very good at it yet.

I don't watch Dr. Who, but I do enjoy Sherlock (Benedict, nom). I enjoy shows like The Fringe, Warehouse 13 and stuff like that. Right now we're binge watching The Killing on Netflix.

So, that's me :)

You had me at umbrage. :laugh::love:

I also love to read.
    read-all-the-things.png
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Feel free to add me, I have over 100lbs to lose.... I love Xbox, Marvel comics (have marvel unlimited account), D&D and other table top games, Minecraft (spent waaay too much time invested in one save), Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, LOTR, MMOs, Geocaching (high tech treasure hunt), Ice Hockey and running.

I used to be a security manager for the BBC working at the Doctor Who Experience in London, every morning I got to power up the tardis and test out the controls and also I was the last to leave powering down the equipment. I was literally a nerdy kid in a nerdy sweet shop.

I nearly cried when I powered down the tardis for the last time before it was packed up and sent to Cardiff, a childhood dream had ended.
    Wil Wheaton on being a nerd:

"So, there’s going to be a thing in your life that you love. I don’t know what that’s going to be … and it doesn’t matter what it is. The way you love that, and the way that you find other people who love it the way you do is what makes you a nerd. The defining characteristic of [being a nerd] is that we love things. Some of us love Firefly and some of us love Game of Thrones, or Star Trek, or Star Wars, or anime, or games, or fantasy, or science fiction. Some of us love completely different things. But we all love those things SO much that we travel for thousands of miles … we come from all over the world, so that we can be around people who love the things the way that we love them.

That’s why being a nerd is awesome. And don’t let anyone tell you that that thing that you love is a thing that you can’t love. Don’t anyone ever tell you that you can’t love that, that’s for boys … you find the things that you love, and you love them the most that you can."

eta: whole speech here:

http://uproxx.com/tv/2013/05/wil-wheaton-explains-to-a-newborn-what-it-means-to-be-a-nerd/

I saw that speech a while ago, Wil is a really insperational guy. He is extremely funny on the PAX D&D videos on youtube.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options

You had me at umbrage. :laugh::love:

DoloresUmbridge.jpg

Oblig

At work, will add lots of people when I get home!