Freaking out a little over how to diet!!?? HELP!

Options
Ok I have a question.. (I AM VERY NEW TO DIETING) which I don't even know now if I am realIy dieting...

I started working out 60min a day everyday since the 20th.. I cut out pop and night snackin.. I was not eating breakfast or lunch usually... but now I am as (I have read) this helps you lose weight.. smaller but more meals.. I am still eating the things I was eating for dinner (as I have a family of 6 and it's hard and costly to make two meals... but I have keep my calories at 1200/1450.. so far... by a lot smaller portions of our dinner, and eating fruit and salads during the day.

So my question is can I keep losing weight this way??? Can I eat what I want to as long as I keep the calories down? How do you plan out what you are going to eat for each week week?? And how did you start eating right??? This is going to be the hard part for me.. i really have no idea where to start!! Is there a menu planner here??

Replies

• time2loseitall
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mention.. i have lost 11 lbs since Dec 20th.. just from mostly working out and getting up more.
  • NyteMirage
    NyteMirage Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'd start with planning healthier meals for your family. It'll benefit everybody involved. And as far as eating the right amount of calories... yeah you'll probably lose weight, but it won't be healthy. I'm not a big fan of veggies and I've dieted before and not eaten many veggies or fruit and still lost the weight.
  • jenn7964
    Options
    good question..thats i guess what im wondering seeing how im doing pretty much the samething. id like to hear all the responses...
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    yes you can lose weight by staying within the calories that are set for you. The moving and cutting out pop all helps. :)

It's just portion control and calorie control.
  • rsensenig
    rsensenig Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am sure you have seen progress so far. If you are only eating between 1200 and 1450 calaries a day and you are working out 60 min a day you will lose weight and shape your body. The good part of cooking meals for the whole family, is you can cook healthy meals, and even impact your whole family's nutritional intake. Good luck.
  • jisabelle
    jisabelle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    :smile: :smile: :smile: Hello and welcome,
    As long as you are not going over on your calorie intake and you keep up with your exersice you should be fine.
    Lots of fruits and veggies and lots of watter.
    Don't forget to pay close attention to not having too many fatning foods.
    slow and stedy is the best way. You might have bad days but insted of getting discuraged just say ok I messed up and now i'm gonna fix it. With that in mind move forward and keep at it and soon enough you will be loosing weight.
    Good Luck!!
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You seem to be off to a great start! Eating smaller meals more often is a good practice. Eating breakfast is very important to keep your metabolism high because you haven't eaten for many hours while sleeping, and breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism for the day. A good idea would be to read the "Newbies Please Read Me" post under the "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" section of the message boards. That would give you some good information about diet and exercise.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    What you're doing right now is creating a lifestyle change and you're doing it well!:flowerforyou: You've added in workouts, cut out pop and nightime snacking (you can most definitely eat healthy snacks or portion out less healthy snacks), coming here for help and joining this site to log and keep track.

I don't see that you're doing anything wrong starting out, many ppl simply eat smaller portions of what they ate before, moderation really is the key to all this changing of habits. Lose the word 'diet' and you'll be set:tongue::flowerforyou:

As time goes on you might find you enjoy healthier choices for dinner more and begin to incorporate them for family meals and bring your family along for the ride. It often works that way with folks on here.:wink: But to start out you've really made huge strides and you don't have a thing to worry about because you ARE doing it, you're making changes and you're in the midst of changing your lifestyle already!:flowerforyou:

I don't know if 1200/1450 is the proper cals for you, if that's what MFP has suggested then I say go for it:drinker:

To answer your question you will most definitely see losses with all the changes you have made, just keep track of your sodium with the family dinners and be sure it's not to high, if so you can switch things up abit there.

I'm so proud of all that you've already accomplished, you're gonna be just fine!!!:heart:

EDIT: oh and don't forget to get plenty of water in each day to flush out the toxins and simply because our body needs it and loves it!:love:
  • Loribell23
    Options
    Give your kitchen a make-over. Go to the store and stock up on healthy snacks and meals because a little planning will take you far!

Lots of fruits and veggies!

Great job on cutting out the night snacking. That is my number one problem so I know it's huge when you cut it out.

Log in EVERY single thing you put in your mouth here on this site. What a wonderful tool it is- and right on your computer. :smile:
  • _Sarah_
    _Sarah_ Posts: 63
    Options
    Have a seriously picky eleven year old and I've been trying to make subtle changes to meals we already eat like whole wheat bread instead of white, mission brand carb smart wheat tortillas instead of the regular white flour tortillas and so on. It's slowly getting easier.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    The day after I started my lifestyle change, I went to the grocery store and bought all healthy items for me. We're a family of 5, so I know what you mean about preparing food. I've been on this site for 8 days now and I've lost 6lbs by watching what I eat- always portioning everything out. I never used to be a breakfast person either until I started doing this- a cup a coffee is all I used to have. Now I have a cup of Raisin Bran and a cup of 1% milk. For lunch, I'll have lots of veggies (raw celery, carrots, cucumber) with light Ranch and a sandwich. For dinner it's a little tough.. sometimes we might go to Subway or I'll have some grilled chicken breast with steamed veggies. You literally have to keep an eye on everything you make your food with. Drink lots of water- I've never drank this much water in my life.

I had to cut out soda and all that sugar.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    The day after I started my lifestyle change, I went to the grocery store and bought all healthy items for me. We're a family of 5, so I know what you mean about preparing food. I've been on this site for 8 days now and I've lost 6lbs by watching what I eat- always portioning everything out. I never used to be a breakfast person either until I started doing this- a cup a coffee is all I used to have. Now I have a cup of Raisin Bran and a cup of 1% milk. For lunch, I'll have lots of veggies (raw celery, carrots, cucumber) with light Ranch and a sandwich. For dinner it's a little tough.. sometimes we might go to Subway or I'll have some grilled chicken breast with steamed veggies. You literally have to keep an eye on everything you make your food with. Drink lots of water- I've never drank this much water in my life.

I had to cut out soda and all that sugar.
    Congrats to you on the lbs lost Hon!:flowerforyou: :wink:
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    your in charge make 1 healthy meal
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    OK I have a question.. (I AM VERY NEW TO DIETING) which I don't even know now if I am realIy dieting...

I started working out 60min a day everyday since the 20th.. I cut out pop and night snackin.. I was not eating breakfast or lunch usually... but now I am as (I have read) this helps you lose weight.. smaller but more meals.. I am still eating the things I was eating for dinner (as I have a family of 6 and it's hard and costly to make two meals... but I have keep my calories at 1200/1450.. so far... by a lot smaller portions of our dinner, and eating fruit and salads during the day.

So my question is can I keep losing weight this way??? Can I eat what I want to as long as I keep the calories down? How do you plan out what you are going to eat for each week week?? And how did you start eating right??? This is going to be the hard part for me.. i really have no idea where to start!! Is there a menu planner here??
    If you figure out your daily cals I know there are a number of suggestions for menu's for say 1500, 1200, cal etc. meals in the archives.. Let me know what you're looking for or any of us and we can bump it for you. I don't mind at all. Google also is very helpful in that as I'm sure the ones I've shared on here originally came from there. :flowerforyou:

Its not like a 'diet' plan per se like something you've have used in the past but it gives you ideas on what/how to plan your meals when you have 1200 cals to eat a day or 1500 or whatever you are allotted. Some great ideas on those threads.

Actually lots of really good ideas ppl have shared before you that others have ask about 'lunch ideas', snack ideas', healthy dinners' that the whole family will eat. Many on here have learned to switch their whole family over to healthier meals and the family has not all flipped out. Crockpot meals go over well and it amazes me how some kids have adapted quite well to veggies I've not even tried out myself. Just don't call it 'diet' food and sometimes even the word 'healthy scares those that don't understand 'healthy can mean yummy! LOL
  • bree1609
    bree1609 Posts: 136
    Options
    It really is all about planning, and that can be the hard part. I don't have a huge family yet (it's just my husband and me for now) but planning meals around our schedules and eating the right kinds of foods can be tricky. Thankfully, my husband will eat anything I make, and he loves whole grains and vegetables.

I juse the MFP recipe tab to figure out the calories in the meals I make at home. You can say how many you are serving (six, in your case) and add all the ingredients and see how many calories your meal is per serving. It really helps to give a better picture of what you're eating at home.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    To answer your questions :
    "So my question is can I keep losing weight this way??? *More than likely but everyone is different its best to talk to your Physician and work with a Nutritionist.*
    Can I eat what I want to as long as I keep the calories down? *Not usually...and as soon as you slip up the weight will more than likely come back, Your food choices need to provide as much nutrition as possible, empty calories are really wasted calories in my honest opinion so choose wisely for healthy reasons not just weight loss its a lifestyle change to live longer and more productive*
    How do you plan out what you are going to eat for each week week?? I dont really plan by the week I take every day as a new day and every meal is thought out prior to putting anything in my mouth. I always need to ask myself why am I eating is it because Im hungry or stressed etc.*
    And how did you start eating right??? * I just did it I didnt want food to have that much power over my day and life.*
    This is going to be the hard part for me.. i really have no idea where to start!! Is there a menu planner here?? * I dont think there is a menu here Ive never seen one but there is recipe section. I think your over analyzing it all just relax and make every choice a good choice and its not important to label your new changes a "diet" I think its best to say your just realizing how important it is to take care of your body and encourage your family to do the same*....good luck Mya