Fat seems a waste of calories to me...

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Nope I feel better when I eat higher fat and lower carb. It's a lot more satiating.

This! Pass the BACON! :love:

I do like bacon, I need to remember to buy some!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    So you ignore good advice and are under on fats. Nothing to see here. Best of luck.

Well, it's hard enough to stay under my calories and have enough protein most days, sorry I'm not going to lose any sleep if I'm 10g below on fat a few days a week :laugh:

I wasn't asking for advice either... I know where to get fat, if I want to have some. I just don't want to force myself to eat things I don't enjoy. Was just wondering if I was alone with this.

Oh, you're definitely not alone in ignoring recommended nutrition intake
  • Francl27
    Options
    It's actually funny because my fat average is definitely over 60g.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    It's actually funny because my fat average is definitely over 60g.

So you changed your mind from your OP? Got it. Trolling.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    No, they're not a waste of calories, they're vitally important to proper bodily function.

Vitamins A (vision), D (bone health), E (antioxidants, keeps down LDL), and K (dental, bone, and hearth health) are fat soluble, meaning they require fat in order to be absorbed and used by the body. The body also requires cholesterol to manufacture vitamin D. The brain is made entirely of fat and cholesterol, as are our cell walls.
    So much this.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I have to pay attention to make sure I hit my fat macro, especially if I am calorie restricting. But since fats are essential....

I suck it up and manage. :flowerforyou:
  • gypsyeyesforyou
    Options
    I am so glad someone else posed this question. I was conflicted about this as well. I use olive oil on my salads and I put a tablespoon of coconut oil into my whey protein shake this morning and was floored by the calories. But...I know they are good for me. And I have noticed...the oils....um, help with digestion. :D As for steak...nothing comes between me and my steak! LOL!
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'd loooooove to not like fat as much as I do. I think I'd down whole jars of coconut oil, peanut butter, and Nutella if I could. I almost always go over my fat macro. For awhile I was eating a ton of nuts every day, so I was eating upwards of 100g of fat a day. Fat makes things taste rich and delicious to me.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I don't eat low fat anything, esp milk. The barista at starbucks always seems confused when I order my latte with whole milk (because I look skinny). What's the point of drinking a latte if it tastes like nothing? Plus it really does keep you fuller, longer.

Also, lowfat cheese is just criminal. And skin on chicken is the best part.

I am usually around 40% fat per day and I'm absolutely fine with that.

That's the thing though... limited calorie budget. Got to pick your battles. Whole milk isn't something I want to spend my calories on, and typically I can't really tell the difference when it's just in coffee anyway (we use 2% at home for the kids anyway so when I use milk, it's what I use).

For cheese, if it's just going to be melted cheese on eggs or shredded cheese in my taco salads, honestly I don't care if it's low fat. But if I'm going to have a nice piece of cheese, I'll take some full fat cheese... I just don't do it that much anymore because one serving of cheese is not satisfying enough for me... but again, not 'healthy' fats anyway.

Someone mentioned chicken, I do like dark meat better, but it doesn't fill me up more than while meat, so it's often not worth the calories for me... As I said, fat doesn't seem to fill me up that much, compared to a combo of protein and carbs. But yeah, major sweet tooth here...

Two things:

1. The fat in cheese is, in fact, perfectly healthy. The only fat you should outright avoid is artificial trans fats. The only naturally occurring fat that you should watch is Omega-6, and that's only in relation to your level of Omega-3 intake.

2. If you stick to the number of grams in the goals you set in MFP, it's not possible to go over in calories, even if your fat was set to 100%, since those numbers are derived from a percentage of the whole.

Just sayin'
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Mentally, I think of carbs as a "waste" of calories.

Which is to say: a lot of this is in your head.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    maybe fat thinks that you are a waste of calories. did you ever think of that?
  • Cycle4Life99
    Options
    If it's working for you, who's anyone to knock it? Just please make certain that all of your blood levels are good and that you feel healthy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't eat low fat anything, esp milk. The barista at starbucks always seems confused when I order my latte with whole milk (because I look skinny). What's the point of drinking a latte if it tastes like nothing? Plus it really does keep you fuller, longer.

I got low fat cabot once- I love their cheese and I was mostly looking for a way to eat more of it and still stay in my budget- it tasted like old rubbery cheese- I bought it on sale- all of them- I threw away like 3 pounds of cheese.
    I was crushed.

Worst experience EVER.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

I got low fat cabot once- I love their cheese and I was mostly looking for a way to eat more of it and still stay in my budget- it tasted like old rubbery cheese- I bought it on sale- all of them- I threw away like 3 pounds of cheese.
    I was crushed.

Worst experience EVER.

Oh yeah, low fat and no fat cheese is a no-go. Sorry you had to find out the hard way. I feel like they should have warning labels.
  • Francl27
    Options

I was crushed.

Worst experience EVER.

:laugh:

I use it shredded in salads or in omelets. Honestly can't tell the difference. But yeah, I wouldn't eat it plain. And I'm not even trying the very low fat stuff... yuck.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I with you OP..

I don't like 2% greek yogurt, I like 0%
    I don't like whole milk.
    I don't like oils
    Not a fan of nuts (other then PB! which I LOVE!, not so much almond butter though)
    I don't like red meat, nor do I like fatty meat.

I'm always low on fat.

I do like cheese though. Full fat cheese. But a little goes a long way.
  • confetticupcake
    Options
    I have gastroparesis, GERD, and IBS so low fat is always recommended to me by doctors but I won't. I hate low fat/non fat foods. I spent years eating them because they were lower cal. Bleh. Now I just eat less of the full fat versions.
  • cyncm
    cyncm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to the website for Udo Erasmus, whom I think of as the fat guru. But really, read his book.

http://www.udoerasmus.com/index.htm
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I agree... Im a volume eater so I'd rather eat 12 oz of chicken instead of 8 oz and not use a tbs of oil to cook it in. Or I'd eat 3 apples instead of one apple +peanut butter for the same amount of calories lol
    I mainly get my fats from my proteins, like salmon steak and eggs. In general tho, I'm usually low on fat as well
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I was crushed.

Worst experience EVER.

:laugh:

I use it shredded in salads or in omelets. Honestly can't tell the difference. But yeah, I wouldn't eat it plain. And I'm not even trying the very low fat stuff... yuck.

it had the consistency of the end that got left out- it turns a slightly different opaque color... and was like- gummy almost.

just awful.

I had a sad. :(

(well short lived -I just house a big thing of bacon and eggs- so I'm not sad now!!!)
    Oh yeah, low fat and no fat cheese is a no-go. Sorry you had to find out the hard way. I feel like they should have warning labels.
    you know- you can tell by looking at that particular brand it's not the same- i'm a god damn engineer- I should have been able to you know- use some sort of scientific reasoning to keep me from biting into that garbage!!!

But yes- warning labels- would have saved me 9$ and my pride of throwing away cheese!!!