Rhubarb....healthy recipes????

Options
2»

Replies

• vbalchick_09
    vbalchick_09 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Splenda is the worst thing for you. Dont you use. Same goes for "diet" soda...ect
  • dontpanic1984
    dontpanic1984 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Splenda is the worst thing for you. Dont you use. Same goes for "diet" soda...ect

I've heard people say this. I'm curious as to how. Could you link something, or just summarize. Thanks!
  • tmmarsh81
    tmmarsh81 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try using raw honey as your substitute for sugar. Natural sugars are processed through the body like food, in the stomach and intestine. Artificial sweeteners are processed through your liver like it would process alcohol.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Try this … got it from a newsletter I get from GI News, it's out of Australia, so the measurements are metric.

Rhubarb and pear coconut crumble.

Rhubarb and pear make wonderful partners and when teamed with a coconut and macadamia nut crumble topping in this dessert it brings sunshine to cold wintery days. The coconut sugar lends a lovely rich caramel flavour but can be replaced by brown sugar if you wish. I served it with coconut milk yogurt alternative, which worked well.

Serves 8

Preparation time: 20 minutes
    Baking time: 35-40 minutes

1 bunch rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 4cm/1½in lengths (about 500g/1lb 2oz trimmed and chopped rhubarb)
    4 firm ripe pears such as Josephine, Williams or Packham (about 750g/1lb 8oz)
    2 tbsp coconut or brown sugar
    Coconut milk yoghurt alternative, to serve

Crumble topping
    ½ cup rolled oats
    ½ cup flaked coconut
    1/3 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
    ¼ cup coconut or brown sugar
    2 tbsp (40ml) LSA (ground linseeds, sunflower seeds and almonds)
    1½ tsp ground cinnamon
    ¼ cup sunflower oil
    ½ tsp natural vanilla essence or extract
  • NK1112
    Options
    Low GI Food of the Month

Do You Have the GI for Fresh Rhubarb Stalks?

No. Despite being popularised by celeb chefs as a great low GI food in their TV shows and books, fresh rhubarb contains so little carbohydrate (less than 2 grams per 100 grams), that it is actually not possible to measure its GI. But if you like to crunch raw rhubarb, pile your plate high and enjoy a veggie that’s a great source of vitamin C and potassium and a good source of fibre with virtually no calories and certainly no fat. However, most of us find eating rhubarb this way a little hard to take: unbearably tart and way too crunchy. And so we cook it and sweeten it. And that’s where the carbs come in along with the calories (kilojoules) – and the GI. Sugar is probably the favourite sweetener (brown sugar is hard to beat) and many recipes recommend around 120 g/4 oz sugar (or even more – they call it ‘to taste’) to 450 g/1 lb chopped rhubarb stems. However, you can sweeten rhubarb in other lower GI ways: try combining it fifty/fifty with chopped (low GI) apple, a little grated ginger root, the juice of 1 orange and about 3 tablespoons of pure floral honey … or leave out the ginger and orange and bake it with a couple of split vanilla beans. The options are endless as you’ll find if you check out the ‘Rhubarb Recipe Collection’ on www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipe-index.html
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Try using raw honey as your substitute for sugar. Natural sugars are processed through the body like food, in the stomach and intestine. Artificial sweeteners are processed through your liver like it would process alcohol.

This is fascinating; where did you learn this? And why post it to a thread which is 4 years old? Strong first post though.
  • NK1112
    Options
    try this link for a recipe from allrecipes.com for a low sugar strawberry rhubarb crumble
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/low-sugar-strawberry-rhubarb-crunch/
  • cyncm
    cyncm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I grew up with rhubarb desserts and I agree - yum! But without the sugar...

Recently I experimented with making a kind of simple "chutney" from rhubarb, to go with a pork roast. Put diced rhubarb in a small oven-proof dish, add some kind of fruit - apple, pear, orange - also diced. Add optional spice - I think I used mace. Think chutneys - cinnamon, grated nutmeg, orange peel, raisins... Seal the dish with aluminium foil, cook in oven with the roast. It was gorgeous.

Another option is diced finely in muffins - I use it in a basic orange with oatmeal muffin recipe.
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    :love:
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love rhubarb - nom nom nom

Try cooking it in a little lemon juice and water, with added stevia or honey depending on preference.
    Mix with a sweeter fruit (eg apple, pear, strawberry, apricot - you name it) to sweeten it without adding sugar
    Mix with yoghurt
    Give it a blast in the microwave with a source of sweeteness (another fruit, stevia, honey) then place in a pie dish. Take sheets of ready made filo pastry, 'scrunch' them up a bit and use to top the 'pie', then into an oven until brown and cripy on top
    Mix with ice cream (yum yum yum)
    Add it to your morning porridge
    Add it to your rice pudding
    Add it to your cake recipes

Mmmmmmmmmm...............................