Vegetable swaps

Options
rebprest
rebprest Posts: 149 Member
I'm looking for recipes where you can swap wheat/carbs or a less nutrient dense ingredient for vegetables. Eg-spaghetti squash or bean sprouts for pasta and mushrooms for hamburger buns. Any ideas/recipes? Having cut out many of my wheat related carbs, I find that I don't really want them as much, but I'm not sure what should take their place in meals. Please...no lettuce or leafy vegetables. They are my arch nemeses.

Replies

• jsb76
    jsb76 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Today I made shrimp scampi with roasted cherry tomatoes and put it on top of sauteed zucchini instead of pasta. With the amount of pasta I used to eat, this swap saves me a couple hundred calories- and it's delish :)
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You can use zucchini strips as lasagna noodles. Eggplant or cauliflower instead of pizza crust. Ummm... that's about all I've tried.
  • alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    mashed up banana and egg whites to make pancake batter

eta: whatever, it's a fruit
  • H0llyG0lightly
    H0llyG0lightly Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it, but have heard cauliflower "mac" and cheese is good.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest- I've tried several- and I have given up on them- I can't stand veggie replacements in general. To much work- and not particularly satisfying.

The only swap that's stuck with me is the spaghetti squash- I love that stuff.

Otherwise if I wanted to have a thing- but not a big part of it- I just make the other have more meaty/beefed up.

Spaghetti- I don't eat any more (outside spaghetti squash) I can't stand the noodles- they make a mess!! adn I'm never satisfied- so I just meat with sauce on it- instead of sauce with meat in it- so it's like 5 pounds of meat and 2-3 cans of tomatoes.

Stir fry- no rice- gave up- cauliflower is good- I like it. But it was a weak replacement for rice- and way to much work- now I just have meat and veggies no rice. Occasionally I splurge- but I've found I am just unsatisfied with the replacements- so I just take out the item and make the rest of the meal bigger.

I liked the banana pancakes- but again- lots of work.

Not to dissuade you- just let you know- it's normal if you just kind of phase rice out and not replace it- that's okay too!
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    Use a lettuce leaf in lieu of a bun or tortilla. It's delicious, holds all your condiments and toppings in place, and gets some extra nutrition in for far fewer calories.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Use a lettuce leaf in lieu of a bun or tortilla. It's delicious, holds all your condiments and toppings in place, and gets some extra nutrition in for far fewer calories.

I stand corrected.

I do use this- a lot for tuna wraps and tacos.

Totally spot on- I hate how 'expensive' tortilla's are!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've heard of people using bell pepper halves instead of bread for a sandwich or burger.
  • ffargynnig
    ffargynnig Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Romaine lettuce is the perfect shape for that! It tastes amazing with Tuna/hummus salad!
  • rebprest
    rebprest Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    uuuugh I hate lettuce, but maybe one leaf just to hold other things won't be as repugnant. Love the red bell pepper bun idea, I can't get enough of bell peppers! Maybe I should be looking more at vegetable based dishes and then just adding a little bit of meat! Thanks all!