Wheat Flour vs White?

Options
2»

Replies

• soniyamas
    soniyamas Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Are there any recipes that you've really noticed a difference in, if you use whole wheat flour instead of white? Will it change the outcome when baking certain things? Do you need to use more or less in some recipes, than you would of white flour?

Using whole wheat flour, you need more liquid. I normally add sour cream to give it a softer texture. Once you get accustomed to whole wheat flour. there is no returning white flour. I do all of my baking with wwf (King Arthur to me is the best - more expensive), they have a wonderful website with tested recipes.

Yes, King Arthur is the best, specially King Arthur White Whole wheat Unbleached Flour :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are there any recipes that you've really noticed a difference in, if you use whole wheat flour instead of white? Will it change the outcome when baking certain things? Do you need to use more or less in some recipes, than you would of white flour?

Yes. Whole wheat flour has a 'heavier' taste to it. All wholemeal flours that I have tried have a heavier taste. I actually prefer the heavier taste, though I usually like a mix of whole meals rather than just whole wheat. For pancakes I prefer those with a good deal of corn flour. For bread, I like added oat flour and rolled oats and maybe some seed meal.

I don't like whole wheat pasta very much. And I think it's just too messy to make my own pasta. I use either Fiber Gourmet, Barilla Plus or just regular white pasta.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I recently found organic 'sifted' whole wheat flour. I sifted it again before using (I do this to check for bugs). And baked wonderful fluffy bread. :)
  • NS81
    NS81 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone!
  • cyncm
    cyncm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have found that it depends on your expectations about what the product is supposed to taste like. Lighter products won't taste the same with WW. But I made a fairly dense cocoa based chocolate cake with whole wheat flour recently and while I found the texture to be different, everyone raved about how good it was. It was a recipe that used vinegar and baking powder.

I suspect that the issue is sometimes about people tasting something unfamiliar.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    nt
  • NS81
    NS81 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have found that it depends on your expectations about what the product is supposed to taste like. Lighter products won't taste the same with WW. But I made a fairly dense cocoa based chocolate cake with whole wheat flour recently and while I found the texture to be different, everyone raved about how good it was. It was a recipe that used vinegar and baking powder.

I suspect that the issue is sometimes about people tasting something unfamiliar.

Thanks for the input :smile: I've recently started using about 1/2 WW to see how much of a difference that makes, then I'll slowly convert a bit more... so far, no one has really noticed (or they're being super polite - either way lol)