Help finding a recipe

Options
artofdawn
artofdawn Posts: 14 Member
This will be a challenge, but I will be eternally grateful if someone can help me find at least one recipe to add to my diet and help me lose weight. What's so challenging about it? Well I have certain food allergies that make it difficult to find foods I shouldn't eat and my husband is a picky eater.

Right now my husband cooks dinner because I've been so busy working. But he only knows how to cook two things: tacos, rice, and spaghetti. I begged him to cook other stuff, but he says it sounds too complicated.

Here are his required things in a meal:
- Can be cooked easily in a frying pan.
- Must have meat.
- Meat must be ground beef (it's the cheapest meat in the store).
- Doesn't take hours to prepare.

And here is what I'm looking for:
- No tomatoes (Allergic - not serious)
- No cheese (Allergic - not serious)
- No onions (Allergic - not serious)
- Not too spicy (No gallbladder)

With all these needs and can not haves, it has made it nearly impossible for me to find something that I can eat comfortably and that my husband can cook. When I react badly from too much tomatoes/cheese/onions in the taco/spaghetti meals, I end up fixing myself bean burritos for the next few days till it goes away. But my husband says that he is willing to cook something different if he feels the recipe is easy enough to make, cheap, and doesn't involve baking.

Also note that we do not have a grill. We live in a tiny apartment with no patio/yard.

Replies

• melaniedsm
    melaniedsm Posts: 55
    Options
    My husband doesn't really cook either. He has a few really good staple recipes, but they aren't the healthiest. I can't imagine he would ever make me dinner that I am allergic too, that seems like another issue. Chicken is close to as cheap at ground hamburger and way better for you. Expecially if you buy the bulk frozen kind. I mass do my meat and put it in freezer bags. Dinner consists of putting a chicken breast or turkey ball in the over at 350 for 45 minutes. I stuff the ground turkey or chicken with a small amount of cheese and spinach. Usually something with a strong flavor like aged parm or Farmer's Cheese. In yours just leave the cheese out and put a garlic clove. Then I top with different spices so I have a few different flavor profiles and don't get bored. Add a baked sweet potato (microwave for 5 minutes) and veggie (also microwaved). Maybe 3 minutes of prep during the week. Plus if I want something different than my husband, no biggy we just each pick our own meat.
  • cakebarn
    cakebarn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Have you ever thought of making stuff in the crockpot? I make boneless and skinless chicken thighs in the crock pot with some balsamic vinegar thrown in there. Boneless skinless chicken thighs are cheaper than ground beef. On high for about 5- 6 hours It stinks.. but tastes amazing. I usually eat that with steamed veggies.. Yummy:flowerforyou: Or you can make turkey burgers! Turkey is cheaper than beef.
  • cakebarn
    cakebarn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I shop at WalMart for meat. I can get a package of chicken thighs for way cheaper than burger. When I make the chicken in the crockpot.. I eat a 5-6 oz serving with cut up cherry tomatoes (I know you can't have any) and then some steamed veggies.. no corn. when I eat the chicken all week.. I do very well with weight loss. Clean eating.
  • cyncm
    cyncm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Stop looking for recipes and just make it up. Like:

Ground beef, garlic(? I assume that's ok?), zucchini, roma tomatoes, zucchini, serve over brown rice.

Ground beef, peppers, Japanese eggplant, minced ginger, add a bit of soy, serve over brown basmati.

Ground beef, green beans, roma tomatoes, tbsp sun dried tomato pesto, serve over pasta or new potatoes.