Fodmaps Diet for IBS

Options
Hi All

Just wondered if any one else had heard of the Fodmaps diet to help relieve the symptoms of IBS?

I would appreciate any tips or suggestions please or advice, if you've tried it, what you though etc.

thanks in anticipation: ohwell:

Replies

• Happy_Niss
    Happy_Niss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I, personally, have not tried it but I have heard a lot of success and a lot of negativity associated with it. It all depends on the type of IBS and what your triggers are.

That's the terrible thing about IBS...everyone that has it has different issues.
    And no coffee for us IBS-D sufferers :(
  • lexidear
    lexidear Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yes I've tried it and try to follow it mostly - some things I will still have in moderation. Some things are about the combinations of foods. Although there are some low FODMAP foods that I just can't eat - we're all different in this sense sadly!

Check out the MONASH app, it's really good and straight from the group who are researching the fodmap diet.
  • allychew2
    allychew2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello. Recently I've been having lots of trouble with IBS symptoms... mostly "the morning rush" and then resorting to immodium which would tie me up for a couple of days and then it would start again. I'm sure part of it is stress, but food always plays a part. Anyway, I poked around the internet and discovered the low-FODMAP diet. I did lots of research, and thought I'd give it a try because you can have a balanced diet on it. I've been on it two weeks now, and except for some bloating after eating something thoughtlessly (sour cream and onion potato chips! Who knew that they have real onion?) I haven't taken any stomach meds. At the same time however, I decided to eliminate my daily Advil routine for knee pain which I'm sure was mucking up my stomach too. So the low-FODMAPS could be helping, or it could be the lack of Advil, or it (probably) is a combination of both.

I can give what little advice I have after only two weeks. One is that low-FODMAP doesn't mean NO FODMAP and you're working on finding what triggers you. If there is a "trace" of wheat, I'm not going to go crazy, but if it bothers me, then I'll know to avoid. Also, I'm from a Asian background, so when I looked over the low- & high-FODMAP lists, what jumped out at me is that as long as I can avoid the onions and garlic (and high fat foods), that Asian cooking is ideal, and I've gone to Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese/Thai/Cambodian restaurants with no problem. Wheat, dairy & beans are not common ingredients in the Asian diet. When I'm running around the mall shopping, and I need a lunch, instead of getting a hamburger or burrito and a soda I'll get a tray of sushi and a green tea. Rice noodles instead of wheat noodles. Bok choi instead of green cabbage. I don't want to buy all that expensive gluten-free stuff, so I use corn tortillas, rice cakes, and rice for my carbs.

At any rate, good luck. I'm hoping my luck continues, and I can keep on avoiding unnecessary meds!
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Diet has almost managed to control my IBS. I am still getting some random pains but it seems to be a cycle that I'm trying to figure out, I believe it's related to female hormones.

I am on a strict FODMAPS diet BUT please be clear that you will still have trigger foods that are on the "FODMAPS" diet list. You need to figure out your personal trigger foods.

For me I can't eat dairy(can eat cheese once a month or so), gluten, sugar (can't do fruits either and I don't eat anything out of a box. Nothing processed.

I get unbelievably painful reactions to avocado. Raw veggies are out. Cooked green beans, asparagus, zucchini and spinach are my veggie staples.

It's hard but you can manage diet with IBS. It takes a long while of documenting each food and seeing the reactions.

I just scratched carrots off my OK food list the other day because of tracking I determined that was the only possible culprit.

Add me to friend sand msg me anytime, i'm always eager to help.