Best Inexpensive Pedometer?

Options
funsteps
funsteps Posts: 74 Member
I'm looking for a good pedometer to last me through the summer and into the fall when a Fitbit or Jawbone UP is more in my budget. Ideally I'm looking for something that I can clip on a bra because I wear dresses nearly every day in the summer. Trying to stay in the $20 range for now (although I have no idea how realistic that is). Any suggestions?

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to get a very accurate one for $20. Those that clip on a bra are activity/pedometer monitors. For the best accuracy, a cheaper pedometer must be worn on your belt in line with your knee.
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Try Omron. They have a really good pedometer for about $15
  • funsteps
    Options
    You aren't going to get a very accurate one for $20. Those that clip on a bra are activity/pedometer monitors. For the best accuracy, a cheaper pedometer must be worn on your belt in line with your knee.

Fair enough! I've never really shopped for pedometers before so I wasn't sure of what to look for. Thank you!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If you have a Wii or WiiU, you should get a Wii Fit Meter. It's pretty damn accurate and can tell when you're jogging or walking. Also, if you get that, I think you still get Wii Fit U for free. It's a fun program. I have a Wii Fit Meter.
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Im in the exact same boat! I am interested in getting a fitbit, but cannot really afford it quite yet and want to see if a pedometer is helpful with my lifestyle. I will be curious to see if anyone has good recommendations.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I had a NewBalance Via Slim (w/3 axis accelerometer) that I got on sale at Target for around 20 bucks and it was fine for daily activity. Unfortunately, I didn't know that it wasn't sweatproof (so not suitable for exercise) and I sweated it to death on a run. So, whatever you buy, just look for "sweat proof" if you'll be exercising with it, or else if it's not sweatproof, don't wear it running.
  • rebeccawesterfield5
    rebeccawesterfield5 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip which cost $45 from Amazon.com. You can find them for less on eBay or craigslist. It seems very accurate and I love knowing how many steps I have taken each day. Depending on my outfit I will wear it clipped to my pants or bra, seems accurate either way. Good luck, I have found mine very motivating!
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone you most likely already own one, check your apps :flowerforyou:
  • karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bump for reading later
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Check for Omron brand pedometers at Amazon. They make some good ones from what I recall, and not high priced.

Also if you have an Android or iPhone - check out the Pact app. Make a few $ each week by committing to doing a certain # of healthy acts. Logging food at MFP, taking a 30+ minute GPS tracked walk (using MapMyWalk or similar) and eating fruits/veggies. I've made about $80 since beginning of Feb. Note: if you don't keep your commitments, you pay...
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    If you have a smart phone you most likely already own one, check your apps :flowerforyou:

^^2nd this!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you have a Samsung S4 or similar - check to see if it has a pedometer app.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If you have a Samsung S4 or similar - check to see if it has a pedometer app.
    Very cool! I just added the app! Thanks!!
  • funsteps
    Options

I do have a free one on my phone, however, I would say I'm only carrying my phone about half the time that I'm up and moving around at home, work, etc. Lots of missed steps. I don't wear enough outfits with pockets! I imagine this being a really great solution for someone who keeps their phone on them all the time, though.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit. It links to MFP and automatically gives you earned calories for the day. It will also monitor your sleep so you can see if you are getting enough good restful sleep at night :)
  • shiec92
    shiec92 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Again another fitbit recommendation. I only got mine last week but it's great!
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    I use fitbit one and love it