How sore should I be following a workout?

I've been consistently going to the gym 5 days a week for the past month. My plan is to lose 40+ pounds (i've lost 3 so far). I usually do 30 minutes of cardio then some strength training, mainly a variety of squats and lunges with weights and a variety of upper body exercises among other things. I feel like I am pushing myself and using a challenging weight but how sore should I be the days after a workout? I'm a little sore but not that sore. Should I up the intensity of my workouts? Should I focus more days on cardio and fewer on strength training? Any opinions and suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Soreness doesn't mean anything. As long as your workouts are intense and you've pushed yourself, then you've done well.
  • meghanbefit
    meghanbefit Posts: 9 Member
    OK thanks!. I don't know why i assumed I'd be sore after workouts.
  • I'd also recommend doing your 30 minutes of cardio AFTER your strength training. You'd be surprised on how much that hinders your lifts.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    I'd also recommend doing your 30 minutes of cardio AFTER your strength training. You'd be surprised on how much that hinders your lifts.

^^^This.

Also agree that soreness doesn't mean much....but...I work out 6 out of 7 days a week...and I'm ALWAYS a little bit sore at least. Wouldn't know what it felt like not to be...but then again, I'm an old fart so maybe it's old age. Nahhhh. :tongue:
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Soreness doesn't mean anything. As long as your workouts are intense and you've pushed yourself, then you've done well.

Yup