strength training with no cardio?

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    What are your fitness goals?

If you're trying to lose weight there's nothing wrong with strength training in fact many people from the community would highly recommend it even when trying to lose weight. The problem however is that it is inefficient to try to grow muscle mass while eating at a calorie deficit. I personally lift heavy weights while eating at a calorie deficit to preserve my muscle and mitigate muscle loss from eating at a deficit. I am noticing some gains in strength now but I'm also still a noobie to lifting and that's to be expected for now.

I'd recommend a combination of strength training and cardio. Have a good 5x5 program like Evan recommends but maybe in the in between days do cardio. I can burn 800-900 calories on an elliptical working at my target heart rate for an hour, lifting weights I can only burn 1/3 of that (at least by my estimates).

this is pretty solid advice.

Goal dependent
    Focus on not losing muscle mass if weight loss is the goal.

Balanced program for over all health including cardio and weights.
    oh edit.
    also calorie deficit- that's a biggie. If you're trying to lose- than you need that.
    boom.
  • futureMrsWalker
    futureMrsWalker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments, keep them coming. It's helping motivate me too somehow lol

I'll definitely look into the 5x5 thing. My goal isn't necessarily to gain huge amounts of muscle, I just want to be strong. I don't want to struggle to pick my daughter up and carry her around. And yes, I want to have a nice butt :)
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I shared this on another thread, but it's applicable, I think, to what you want to know:

The idea is that it's: 80% diet, 10% exercise, and 10% genetics. If you've plateaued from dieting, OR you want to eat the same and still lose weight, then cardio is good at helping with that. However, if you want to see real changes in your shape, I highly recommend heavy lifting.

***Just throwing this out there: I lost 35 lbs. without doing ANY exercise. At the time, I felt like engaging in a fitness routine was unsustainable, for me. Now, that I'm reaching my goal size, I'm finding that exercise, specifically, weight lifting is most important to reaching my esthetic goals. I STILL have to watch my intake, of course. Cardio is the last on my list, for my goals.***
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments, keep them coming. It's helping motivate me too somehow lol

I'll definitely look into the 5x5 thing. My goal isn't necessarily to gain huge amounts of muscle, I just want to be strong. I don't want to struggle to pick my daughter up and carry her around. And yes, I want to have a nice butt :)

See highlighted text...

You won't. It's extremely difficult to bulk up with very little testosterone. HOWEVER, you will love the subtle changes you see in your body if you are somewhat consistent with your efforts.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    t
    Will lifting with no cardio help with weight loss at all? I do have a bunch of weight to take off, but I'd prefer to focus on getting strong (along with eating healthier).

If you want to loose, I strongly recommend you to do cardio. You will burn a ton of kcal. Just by adding between 2-3 sessions of cardio and without changing your diet, you will loose weight quickly.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    On MFP, you can record weightlifting under cardiovascular exercise if you search for:
    Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)
    It won't give you many calories burned for lifting, but if you enter it under strength training you won't get any calories credited.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    “Is it okay to do? What kind of results might you expect to see?”
    “Will lifting with no cardio help with weight loss at all?”

Sure it's OK, as in it's not going to harm you.

Lifting weight will re-shape your body, make you more lean & compact, so you're going to lose inches & your clothes will fit better. But it's not going to do much, if anything, toward losing weight. In fact, initially you'll probably gain weight because muscle weighs more than fat per volume.

Muscle burns more calories per gram of tissue than fat, so it will increase your metabolism & have you burning more calories even at rest, but it's not a big enough difference to do much toward losing weight.

You'll burn more calories per minute doing cardio.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    “My goal isn't necessarily to gain huge amounts of muscle, I just want to be strong.
    And yes, I want to have a nice butt.”

Women won't “gain huge amounts of muscle” because we don't have enough testosterone to bulk up. But you can get more compact and stronger.

To have a nice butt, you need strong muscles (lots of walking, elliptical, even squats, hip adduction & abduction), and you need to lose the overlying fat (by eating fewer calories than you burn, and doing cardio exercise) so the sleek muscles can be seen / appreciated.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    “Any recommendations for a beginner?”

1 - Start off by checking with your doctor to be sure exercise is safe for you, and discuss what a healthy goal weight is for you / your husband.

2 - Next, figure out your goal weight (if your doctor didn't already help you with this) & calories.
    Here's a BMI chart: http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    Find your height, and as a start, aim for the highest number in the green range (look to the top of the chart). If you want to adjust by a few pounds once you get there, worry about that later. So for example if you're 5'6” your goal is 150 lb.
    (I'm 5'10", my initial goal is 170, which will be 105 lb down from where I was JAN14.)

The best way to control weight is to control what you eat, because it's hard to burn off calories and very easy to eat them.
    It can take me an hour on the elliptical to burn 650 calories, but that's a medium chocolate malted at Culver's, which I can eat in 10 minutes.

The easiest way to figure out a healthy amount of calories is to take your goal weight & multiply it by 10. This is what my doctor & nutritionist do. So using the example of 5'6” & 150 lb, your goal should be 1500 calories. That will slowly bring you to 150 lb.

Another simple way to figure out your goal calories is to use your current weight to get the current calories needed to maintain that weight (multiply it by 10), then subtract 500 (to lose a pound a week) to 1000 (to lose 2 lb per week).
    NEVER go under 1200 calories per day unless you're supervised by a doctor.
    If you're starting off in the red range on the BMI chart, 2 lb per week is reasonable. As you get closer to your goal, slow that to 1 lb per week.

3 - Next, figure out which weightlifting exercises you're going to do. Start with large muscle groups (for example, squats) & finish with smaller ones (for example, calf raises).
    Always work both sides – biceps & triceps, quadriceps & hamstrings, abdominals and lower back extension, etc.

4 - Then for each weightlifting exercise, learn how to do it properly so you don't hurt yourself. Look at the diagrams on the machines, get the gym's personal trainer to explain everything, read books, do a web search, etc.
    Machines are easier, but train isolated muscle groups.
    Free weights take more technique, but they use more muscles in concert.

5 - Now for each exercise find out how much you can lift, the absolute maximum. This is called your one-repetition maximum, or 1RM.

a - If you want to build muscle mass, do 1-2 sets of 8-12 repetitions with the weight set at 70-85% of the 1RM. You should be working hard to do the last one. When you can do 12 easily, increase the weight by 5 lb & go back to doing 8.

b - To increase endurance, do 1-2 sets of 15-25 repetitions with the weight set at 50-70% of the 1RM. If you're not tired by the last 1 or 2, bump it up 5 lb.

You could alternate days between styles, but give yourself 1-2 days off in between workouts.
    I'd start with building mass for a month or so before starting to work on endurance, so you have muscle to work with. You want to lift 2-3 days per week.

For the suggestions in #5, I'm getting my information from:
    American College of Sports Medicine's Resources for the Personal Trainer, 4th Edition (2014).
    (Mostly pages 378-9.)
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Dumb question here.. So if I am aiming to lose one pound a week, giving me 1750 calories a day, and I'm eating under that amount - will I not be able to gain muscle with strength training?

You're going to hear a lot of people say it can't be done, because it's a common misconception, but people actually can gain muscle while in calorie deficit, as this study demonstrated: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3519021&d=1310193169 (the link is to a pdf). It showed that, in a study of athletes on a calorie-deficit diet, that with heavy-resistance weightlifting and adequate protein intake, lean body mass (muscle) increased, while fat mass decreased. Overall weight decreased, as you would expect in a calorie-deficit, meaning that the participants lost more fat than they gained muscle.

This was an important observation in the study: participants who were in the slow-weight-loss group gained more muscle than the participants in the fast-weight-loss group (which had a more calorie-restricted diet). The slow-weight-loss group had a diet that targeted 0.7% loss in weight per week, meaning that for a 130-lb woman, the calories would be set to achieve a weight loss of 0.9 lb per week. If trying to preserve or gain muscle while in a calorie deficit, make it a modest deficit.

Good luck!
  • KetoCarnivore
    Options
    Dumb question here.. So if I am aiming to lose one pound a week, giving me 1750 calories a day, and I'm eating under that amount - will I not be able to gain muscle with strength training?

You can gain STRENGTH while losing weight.

But you will not be gaining muscle mass while losing weight.

Unless you're new to lifting and get noob gains and are obese.
  • greentii
    greentii Posts: 5
    Options
    Just like adowe, I run just so I can snack after gym.
    why don't you do cycling, it'll tone your legs :D if you don't want to run
  • Elektrolyfe
    Elektrolyfe Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I am probably around 8 or 9% body fat currently (avatar is few weeks old) and I am coming near the end of my cut, I don't do ANY cardio. But I can control my diet and don't really get cravings.

Other people are different you gotta find what works for you.