I'm stuck, big time weight plateau?

:angry:
I haven't been able to get past this number for ages. I want to lose another 10 pounds. Whenever I try to lose weight I get stuck here. I am vegetarian, I eat under 1200 calories. I have cut down on carbs and eat clean. I do around 30mins of cardio/toning 4 times a week and still nothing? (I've been stuck here for about 2 months now)

Replies

• nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    how long have you plateaud? if its anything less than 3 weeks you're likely retaining water and are due for a whoosh soon, if it's longer then you're eating more calories than you think you are, if you're eating a true 1200 then you are 100% in a deficit unless you're like 4 foot tall
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    What Jerry said. You are probably eating too much.
  • Abi198111
    Abi198111 Posts: 76 Member
    Could you the problem be that you're eating less than 1200 cals? I thought 1200 was the very minimum for healthy weight loss?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    If your not losing weight you're eating at maintenance. In the majority of cases people are eating far more than they think due to inaccuracies in logging. This is a useful link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    I notice you just joined in June so how long have you actually been logging, and how do you know you're consuming 1200 calories? Do you have and use a food scale? I would ask you to set your diary to public but there couldn't be more than three days of data which would not be enough to properly understand your logging trends

1200 calories is also the lowest calories MFP will set usually because you've told it you want to lose a massive amount of weight per week when you may not have that much to lose. You may wish to play with the 1 lb per week or .5 lb per week setting and see what it gives you

Read these:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1296011-calorie-counting-101

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • 1saturn
    1saturn Posts: 95 Member
    I'm 5'3 I have no idea what I'm doing. Maybe I am eating more than I think but I use the calculator and I'm usually under my calorie intake :S.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    LOL ok you should read the posted links and play with the tool and come up with a nice action plan. I think you'll be okay :)
  • 1saturn
    I set up a different account for online because my the app I use of my phone has different goals etc. I just used it for the caluclator so my info was inaccurate. I have been using that app for a few years on and off. Daily logging since January. I do weigh my food and check calories before I log everything into my phone. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong? I continually get stuck at this same weight and I had lost 10 pounds before.
  • 1saturn
    I doubt it. I set out to lose 20 pounds. Thing is, I lost 10 and I have 10 left. Maybe I should change my diet/exercise routine for the last ten pounds?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    I set up a different account for online because my the app I use of my phone has different goals etc. I just used it for the caluclator so my info was inaccurate. I have been using that app for a few years on and off. Daily logging since January. I do weigh my food and check calories before I log everything into my phone. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong? I continually get stuck at this same weight and I had lost 10 pounds before.

It's hard to know what you're doing wrong since I do not have access to the logging tool you're using. If you're not losing weight you probably need to consistently eat at a deficit, which would mean eating less food or exercising more

PS: Please use the quote function. It's a bit confusing what or who you're replying to; I already assumed you were answering a certain question when you weren't.
  • 1saturn
    To be honest I eat very well. I could be wrong but I don't think this is the issue. I used to eat yogurt for breakfast, go to a lightly active job, cycle there and back, have two boiled eggs and then eat a low calorie dinner that is designed for weight loss. The only snacks I have is fruit. My only issue is caffeine. I drink a lot of tea and coffee. ?
  • 1saturn
    Eat less. You're obviously in maintenance. You need to eat less, workout more, ir with more intensity, or some combo of both. Barring any medical condition, it's an energy equation of cals in/out.

To be honest I eat very well. I could be wrong but I don't think this is the issue. I used to eat yogurt for breakfast, go to a lightly active job, cycle there and back, have two boiled eggs and then eat a low calorie dinner that is designed for weight loss. The only snacks I have is fruit. My only issue is caffeine. I drink a lot of tea and coffee. ?
  • Best advice I can give is to consult a Registered Dietitian. But that much said, are you sure you really NEED to lose 10 more pounds? You look great.
  • 1saturn
    It's hard to know what you're doing wrong since I do not have access to the logging tool you're using. If you're not losing weight you probably need to consistently eat at a deficit, which would mean eating less food or exercising more

PS: Please use the quote function. It's a bit confusing what or who you're replying to; I already assumed you were answering a certain question when you weren't.
    [/quote]

Hey, just figured out how to use the quote function, haha. I was confusing myself there. Yes, I do think I eat right but I guess I must be doing something wrong. Could it be dehydration? I probably don't drink enough water. I'm a big time caffine and coffee person but rarely actually drink water.
    I also have problem areas which rarely loose any weight. My legs, for example. Doing leg toning work and even after my weight loss no inches lost. I seem to lose weight in the same places and not my problem areas. Really sucks.
  • Kegha
    Kegha Posts: 37 Member
    Hey, just figured out how to use the quote function, haha. I was confusing myself there. Yes, I do think I eat right but I guess I must be doing something wrong. Could it be dehydration? I probably don't drink enough water. I'm a big time caffine and coffee person but rarely actually drink water.
    I also have problem areas which rarely loose any weight. My legs, for example. Doing leg toning work and even after my weight loss no inches lost. I seem to lose weight in the same places and not my problem areas. Really sucks.
    [/quote]

Hi, if you dont drink enough you will retain fluids and that can affect the scale. Try taking measurement to see if you are loosing inches. As far as body parts not getting smaller we all carry our weight differently and it is usually based on genetics. Probably woman jn your family are pear shaped. You can do toning exercises but it wont solve the problem but will help somewhat. the easier way is to learn to dress according to your body shape.
  • 1saturn
    Best advice I can give is to consult a Registered Dietitian. But that much said, are you sure you really NEED to lose 10 more pounds? You look great.

Thanks! I wouldn't say I need to but I can't seem to tone up my problem areas. Which is why I want to lose more. My thighs and hips never budge and my arms could be slimmer. I always loose weight around my waist, face and stomach but the rest of me is left untoned and large. I also need to rid of my lower tummy pooch.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    First of all, you look amazing, second of all you sound like you have a food issue if you are eating so little, I would see a dietician and therapist. I don't know you but if what you are saying is actually true, that is not good to be eating like that, it's no where near enough. Your body needs a certain amount to be keeping it running.

Second of all, if you haven't got a clue what you are doing I would read those thinks that previous poster put up.

Are you going strictly for a weight goal or a look? Cos a if it is a look, you can get that with exercise. Add a weights.

Ditch the high levels of caffeine, drink lots of water, that will make you lose water weight, not fat, but you will feel better.
    You are not having enough protein at all if that is a typical day (other than not actually having enough though you didn't say what your dinner was but if it is low cal there won't be room for enough protein).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    If your not losing weight you're eating at maintenance. In the majority of cases people are eating far more than they think due to inaccuracies in logging. This is a useful link

^^ this
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    I'm not sure what your "cardio/toning" program is right now, but you might want to look into lifting heavy weights plus HiiT cardio. I am a pear trying to lose the last few stubborn pounds myself and the last ones are the hardest. Every half pound is a victory. I also have a weight that my body likes to stick at, but I would prefer 5-8 lbs less. I have been doing the Strong Curves program by Bret Contreras and it is really shaping up my glutes and hips. My upper body is also toning up with makes my hips look better proportioned.

To me it seems like you are not eating enough. Is MFP telling you to eat 1200? What is your weight loss goal per week? If it is the last 10 lbs it shouldn't be more than .5 to 1 lb a week.