Should we allow euthanasia?

Options

Replies

• ThinkInOregon
    Options
    As a nurse, I wholeheartedly agree.

As a daughter who cared for both of her rather young parents who were dying tragically (at separate times)... I would have preferred my father have that option (and he did have that option since we live in Oregon,) but chose to not exercise it.
  • randomusername5
    randomusername5 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Yes. We treat our companion animals far kinder.

I worked for a short time on an oncology floor. There is nothing dignified in losing your hair, puking up everything you eat, and being in pain all the time, every day, until your organs finally shut down.

Agreed. :brokenheart:
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Yes. Even though my job is resuscitation I spend far more time advocating for my patients to have a peaceful, dignified end.
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, 100%!
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Euthanasia is a political slippery slope. Countries that have legalized it have seen cases increase 5 fold, including state sponsored killings of healthy people. It can become a tool for rogue governments (see Hitler's Action T4). Some think Hitler's "Master Race" doctrine was welcomed because eugenics was so popular in that day. Oregon has refused funding for chemo while paying for assisted suicide in at least one case, making life or death a state decision.

If a federal law is passed, radical eugenics groups will waste no time foisting their agendas on its back, calling for euthanasia of the disabled, certain ethnic groups, whoever they deem unfit or unhealthy. Then who will determine the subjective meaning of "quality of life?" Will you always trust your government once a law is in place? Imagine a world where gays are euthanized, or certain ethnic groups deemed inferior, or people with wrong political views. In 1939 Margaret Sanger created the "Negro Project" to exterminate blacks in America. In 2013, a DHS employee called for genocide of "white people."

If you truly want euthanasia to be legal, it can be done at great cost. But will we always trust the stewards of that law?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    She has a button for pain? Keep whacking it. ;)
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    One of the many perks of living here in Oregon...I can avoid dying in slow agony if I want.

Can't imagine any other outcome.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have a question on this one: What happens with your life insurance policy if you die by euthanasia? In britain, a life insurance policy becomes void if you commit suicide (euthanasia is not legal here). Would there be a special Claus put in place for that in those states where it is legal?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You mean... like a Santa one?
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have a question on this one: What happens with your life insurance policy if you die by euthanasia? In britain, a life insurance policy becomes void if you commit suicide (euthanasia is not legal here). Would there be a special Claus put in place for that in those states where it is legal?

At least in Oregon, use of the Death with Dignity law cannot interfere with your health or life insurance. It still gets paid.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

At least in Oregon, use of the Death with Dignity law cannot interfere with your health or life insurance. It still gets paid.

In most of the U.S., if you commit suicide following the 2 year exclusion period, then it pays out.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    YES, absolutely!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Euthanasia is a political slippery slope. Countries that have legalized it have seen cases increase 5 fold, including state sponsored killings of healthy people. It can become a tool for rogue governments (see Hitler's Action T4). Some think Hitler's "Master Race" doctrine was welcomed because eugenics was so popular in that day. Oregon has refused funding for chemo while paying for assisted suicide in at least one case, making life or death a state decision.

If a federal law is passed, radical eugenics groups will waste no time foisting their agendas on its back, calling for euthanasia of the disabled, certain ethnic groups, whoever they deem unfit or unhealthy. Then who will determine the subjective meaning of "quality of life?" Will you always trust your government once a law is in place? Imagine a world where gays are euthanized, or certain ethnic groups deemed inferior, or people with wrong political views. In 1939 Margaret Sanger created the "Negro Project" to exterminate blacks in America. In 2013, a DHS employee called for genocide of "white people."

If you truly want euthanasia to be legal, it can be done at great cost. But will we always trust the stewards of that law?

Very one sides positioning of the situation.
    You are confusing voluntary euthanasia with involuntary euthanasia.

brb, going to see the stats for mass involuntary euthanasias in Oregon and Montana. What? None? You don't say....
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    yes.
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I strongly agree. A person that is suffering like your friend should have the right to die without being criminal. In Germany it´s also forbitten, but the Netherlands do allow it! My dad died on cancer. After the diagnose we made sure that he could go to a clinic in the Netherlands if it was needed!
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options

Out of all political things in today's America that resemble the Third Reich you are worried about euthanasia?

The T4 operation gave the doctors the ability to euthanize after THEY deemed a patient incurable (the VAST majority of those patients were in psychiatric hospitals) not as a request per the patient and or the guardian of the patient.

That is utter apples and oranges.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

ETA: The one thing that absolutely every human being should have is the sovereignty of their own body. If they choose to no longer live, they should be allowed that choice, because no other person has the right to tell them they have to live.

Agree with this, and I would absolutely want the right to decide. But I do understand not allowing health care practitioners to actually administer the treatment. I work in medical malpractice insurance. The inherent liability issues in PAS are huge, even when all the physician can do is write a prescription for barbiturates and leave it in the hands of the patient. Doctors get accused all the time by grieving families and ambulance-chasing lawyers of pushing PAS to hide malpractice. If physicians were actually allowed to administer the treatment themselves, the liability increases exponentially, to say nothing of the unintended political consequences. Assume a state or federal government rules that PAS is included in the right to sovereignty over one's body. Can the government compel an unwilling doctor to participate? We are already seeing this issue with abortion. Food for thought.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand our fascination with keeping people alive as long as we possibly can. We are extremely selfish and ignorant to be completely honest. A human should have the right and priveledge of ending their life if they choose. They should be able to go to a medical facility and have it ended on their own terms. We hand out abortions like candy but want to hang onto a vegetable, laying in a bed dying in pain. Doesn't make sense.

*edit* Oh wait it makes perfect sense. The longer we stay alive the more money the pharmecuetical companies make.
This discussion has been closed.