Help! I screwed up.

Options
Ok, my kids were going to an event today so we went out to eat. I only ate a small amount so I figured it would be ok, but when i figured out the calories once we were home it was almost 1000!!!!! After seeing that I figured that I had screwed up the day already I ate more snacks and am so upset at myself! I know there is no way to fix it now but I had been doing so good:(

Replies

• raycole83
    Options
    Go for a good long run! That will keep you in line with your goal... When you know you're gonna go over or want to eat more, go for a walk/run or something to free up more calories for you to eat. I have about 100 calories left for the day and I'm STARVING. But, I'm about to go hit up my elliptical and burn some more so I can eat some more. Kind of like a reward I guess...
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    have a nice salad for dinner and if dessert make it 1/2 the portion
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Chalk it up to "lessons learned", brush your teeth, and start over tomorrow!
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    It's only one day! Get yourself to the gym or exercise for awhile to burn off what you can! Move, move, move! No one can come between you and this weight loss unless YOU allow it! Hop back on! You can do it!
  • SewLisa
    SewLisa Posts: 22
    Options
    Let it go and hope back on track! As you already experienced dwelling on the 'screw up' only makes you feel like "what the heck this day is shot."

Just take a deep breath and a drink of water and realize you learned a lesson about checking where you are going to eat out before going so you can plan better.

You can still get to your goal weight. Recognizing the problem is the first step in creating the solution.

You can do it!!!
  • PediNurse67
    PediNurse67 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Cheer up :-) screw ups put things back into perspective, now you know how easy it is to go over your allotted calories, even if you think you're only eating a small amount!! Good luck & stay positive.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Uggg i hate that guilt feeling,so i always ask myself before i eat it...is it worth the guilt.but theres always tomorrow to get it right:bigsmile:
  • shellia
    shellia Posts: 11
    Options
    Keep your head up my friend we all slip up. You can do this.
  • Becs_lil
    Options
    When I have a bad day of eating too much, I "detox" the next day and try to eat as much fruit and veg as possible and drink loads of water. I also make sure that I get some exercise in, try and do extra than what you'd usually do.
    But don't worry about it, everyone slips up from time to time, and you learn from it. Tomorrow's a new day, so use it to your advantage. :)
  • sdtul
    sdtul Posts: 24
    Options
    It doesn't do any good to beat yourself up. If you screw up just move on and get right back on your nutritional wagon :D
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    It was one day, if we didn't go over every once in awhile we'd all be a bunch of crazy people! Eating out is hard! The best thing to do is know in advance where you are going and research. Find something that you like and has the calories your willing to spend. But I've noticed the way a restaurant prepares things you will almost always use more than you like! I've only went out once since I started ( a little over a month) Just because I know whats going to happen.
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Chalk it up to "lessons learned", brush your teeth, and start over tomorrow!

I agree! It will happen again, too at some point! Don't be too hard on yourself for one day of going over! Heck - I did that yesterday!! :wink:
  • jcch00
    jcch00 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. We all have days where we "cheat". I know some may disagree, but personally I think it's healthy emotionally/mentally to take a break from the diet on just 1 meal every week or two. I've heard many dietitians recommend 1 "cheat meal" a week while dieting to not only help with any cravings you may be having but also for caloric confusion for your body. Tomorrow is a new day and where you can get back on track. :happy:

Jill
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    I understand how you feel you just have to keep going in the right direction and keep your eyes on the prize!
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Today has not been a good day for me either. My son is sick, so he asked me to bake him strawberry cup cakes. I wanted to spoil him so I figured I could just eat one...but no!!! I couldn't just stop at one. I am going to call today my cheat day, even though I feel very guilty. Tomorrow will be a brand new day
  • raiderkiwi
    Options
    you gotta treat yourself once in awhile :)
  • jtfish112
    jtfish112 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I agree with the rest of the replies. A majority of my diets failed miserably because I slipped up once and couldn't just forgive myelf and move on. Giving in and giving up is the LAST thing you want to do. You will experience many challenges during your lifestyle change, and the key is to not lose sight of your goal. Accept your derailment and GET BACK ON TRACK!

Don't forget, and this holds true to your diet as well: What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger!!!

Good luck
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    just try to burn as much of as you can x
  • barbrooney
    barbrooney Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thats a great idea.
  • katnevsmom
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just did some time on the treadmill and am drinking alot of water. I feel better now:) I appreciate all of the good advice!