need sugar in my coffee what can I use instead??

I used to buy low fat flavor creamers before for my morning coffee but it started making me sick. SO i use low fat half/half instead but now i have to add sugar to add some sweetness. Like umm 1 big spoon... I used splenda before and the other nasty 0 calories ones but that just doesn't cut it for me. What's a healthier choice to add to my coffee???

Replies

• havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Sugar. I went through a phase of trying to make my coffee healthier, I wound up just cutting back on the amount of coffee I drink and using the real stuff. All the other options don't taste right and most aren't very good for you. Agave nectar is more processed than HFC, honey is too sweet for me in coffee, all the artificial things taste artificial, etc. Some people really like stevia, but I find it to be disgusting.
  • azzacca
    azzacca Posts: 126 Member
    Sugar is the best one, or perhaps Stevia
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    It's hard to get used to any artificial sweetener. It takes time LOL. I didn't like any at first but after about a week of using splenda now I can't go back to sugar. You can actually do a sugar/ splenda blend to wean you off of the sugar. Just keep decreasing the sugar and increasing the splenda till you can tolerate it more. I also like the splenda flavor packs ..they have vanilla and caramel and mocha. Also have you ever used the sugar free flavoring syrups? I have a Dollar Tree here and they have some coffee syrups and guess what not only are they $1 each but they are sugar free. I didn't even need splenda once I added the vanilla syrup and some half n half. It was great. Just another thought for you.

Nichole (Coffee addict)
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Stevia, sucralean, ect are all suitable substitutes.

I'm a coffee addict myself, but I drink mine black and unsweetened...After awhile you forget what your missing when it's all sugared up.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    You could try Stevia, or other natural sweeteners. I tried it, but didn't really like the taste. I just have half a tsp of raw sugar with instant and no sugar with barista made. I used to have like 4tsp when I was younger (first started drinking coffee) and then that went to 2tsp as my standard. I slowly cut down, 1.5 then 1 and now half! XD Your taste adjusts.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    There is no yummy substitute.. what worked for me is gradually cutting down on my sugar in coffee (along with cutting down in sweets in general), this way your taste buds become sensitized to it again and less sugar can taste the same as more sugar used to.. hope that makes sense..
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    with them. either take sugar or nothing at all. I got used to less sugar after awhile and love it all the same
  • Just add sugar. You might try cutting back a little at a time. I used to add about 5 spoonfulls to mine. I was cutting back a little at a time and now I am down to 1 tsp. I did it gradually so I didn't even notice the change in flavor. Now I can't stand it when my coffee is too sweet.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Hi,
    As a morning coffee addict myself, I totally understand wanting it to taste good. I drink it black at work, but at home, I usually add some Torani syrups.....sugar free.....vanilla and English toffee are my favorite flavors. You can buy these at Walmart, but they are a much better price at Gordman's (if you have those in your area).
    Kaye
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Sugar gets such a bad rap. It's only 15 calories per teaspoon. A little won't kill you :)
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    I use vanilla almond milk in my coffee.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    I like saccharin.
  • monet13
    monet13 Posts: 324 Member
    I get these Stevia packets with vanilla - they are so delish with my tea! My doc was totally against white sugar and artificial sweeteners - stevia is all he's ok with :)
  • I actually just keep the sugar in my coffee. Don't like any artificial sweeteners in it at all. I have tried them all. I figure if I cut the sugar in my diet in alot of other places...its ok to have some in my morning coffee. I only use 1-3 tsp. depending on the size of my cup in the a.m. so I am not to worried about it. My bigger problem was soda and I have cut that out almost completely now. Have 1 a week or so instead of 4-5 daily so that cut alot of sugar out of my diet.
  • You should use coconut sugar! It is an all natural sweetner that is way healthier than regular sugar and tastes exactly just like regular sugar. It also does not have any chemicals in it. Its extracted right out of coconut trees. Make sure you get the organic kind though. you can find it at trader joes and most other grocery stores that sell more organic trade. Hope this helped
  • MuscleHeadNerd74
    MuscleHeadNerd74 Posts: 1,930 Member
    i use fat free french vanilla two tables sppons or less not many cal 25 or 35 i think
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I currently use 1 packet of aspartame, which I know is evil and all that. But I just drink one cup of coffee per day so I don't worry about it much. I'm planning to buy Stevia packets next time.

I am a fan of sugar, especially Sugar in the Raw packets, for other things...but for some reason I just don't really like the way it sweetens my coffee.

Years ago I was a huge agave fan but that stuff is NOT good for you!
  • Didn't the flavored creamer that you used to us have sugar in it? What's the difference in just adding in the old fashion way? I'm confused....

If you don't like the white stuff...you could use maple sugar...I don't know if it's better for you though.I think the fake stuff is just as bad. There are other "natural sweeteners but none of them taste like sugar they all have a funny after taste even if they are sweet. But I think a teaspoon or even a tablespoon of sugar isn't going to kill ya. Enjoy your morning coffee
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    You could try Stevia or just gradually decrease your sugar.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I tried stevia..made me gag from the aftertaste...ick

Sugar goes in my coffee.