Zumba

Options
lqichick
lqichick Posts: 162 Member
So I have started taking a Zumba class twice a week. Am I really to believe that I burn 800+ calories during that hour?

Replies

• ejoy77
    ejoy77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well, that depends on a lot of things. How much do you weigh? How intense is the class? How intensely are you doing the moves (i.e., big movements, or just kinda shuffling around)?

I am 5'4", weigh about 150 lbs. I go to a pretty intense Zumba class once a week, and I tend to go all out when I'm working out (because, honestly, what's the point otherwise?). My HRM usually gives me a calorie burn between 400-450 calories in 60 minutes.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I have burned 900 calories in an hour on the treadmill before. If you're really overweight and going at it, it's probable.

I am 5'2 and 210 lb
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    go by your heart monitor. Mine is regularly between 7 and 9 hundrend when I do zumba
  • ejoy77
    ejoy77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    go by your heart monitor. Mine is regularly between 7 and 9 hundrend when I do zumba

Yes. But make sure you have an accurate heart rate monitor. I had an inexpensive Timex one that gave me wildly inaccurate estimates. I use a Polar now, and it gives much more accurate readings. So an HRM is the best way to estimate, but only if it's accurate.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Very unlikely unless you're a very fit, 220+ lb person.

It takes a lot of work to be able to work sustainably at 750+ cal/hour. MFP's databases are notoriously inflated for their workout estimates.
  • iroze
    iroze Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    According to my Polar FT4, I burned about 450. 500 if I killed myself out there on the dance floor or if there were unfamiliar dances that I had to work harder on. I'm 145 lbs, 5'2". Very highly doubt you can burn 800calories.
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I kinda figured that, (no way could be that many calories), but I thought I'd ask anyhow. Thank's everyone.