Making meals alone?

Options
hey all.. when me and my girlfriend took on our change of lifestyle and decided to get healthy, things worked out perfectly because we were always together (most of the time) to make dinner with each other. She just started at a new job, and I find myself on my own for dinner as of late though.. It's not that I can't cook or anything, or that I lack the effort.. I just always seem to take the easy, less healthy way out.. for example.. I went and got chinese after work tonight.. so I guess when it comes down to it, i'm just having troubles with my will power and resisting these foods... any ideas on what might help me with this?

Replies

• roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Become more devoted. Make eating out not an option.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Stock up on healthy foods that expire- like fruits and vegetables.
    That way, eating out is not only a waste of calories, but you'll also feel bad because all that food in your fridge will be going to waste! Makes much more sense to go home and put that produce to work :flowerforyou:
  • dhill_84
    dhill_84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I know what your talking about. My boyfriend has a part time job 3 evenings a week. I used to eat whatever or ate out. I've got a goal to either buy something healthy, like subway or pitas, or make something that will last a couple night. Like tonight Im cooking enough for the 3 nights im on my own......just have to have the willpower not to eat more!!! Hope this helps!
  • hairjunkie
    hairjunkie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have no idea whatsoever on how to cook, (and i'm a girl), but I've recently come up with this SUPER easy lunch or dinner that is healthy and filling..
    1 Boca Burger Original, or Morningstar Veggie Pattie (both equally as delicious) and cook for regarded time..
    1 Flat Out 90-calorie Light wrap
    1 wedge of Laughing Cow 35-cal spreadable cheese

Spread the Laughing cow out onto the wrap, (used as your 'condiment'), then cut up the pattie into bits and roll the whole thing up and enjoy! It's so good, and I'm really not sure how I came across it- I guess it was just the last things around in my pantry! =]
  • hairjunkie
    hairjunkie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    By the way, the whole thing takes about 2 minutes to make!
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Cook a bunch of food in bulk over the weekend. Put them in tupperware containers and eat out of tupperware containers during the week. :laugh:
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Stock up on healthy foods that expire- like fruits and vegetables.
    That way, eating out is not only a waste of calories, but you'll also feel bad because all that food in your fridge will be going to waste! Makes much more sense to go home and put that produce to work :flowerforyou:

Agrees!

If you don't want to do that, go to Subway or try Taco Bells Fresco soft tacos.
  • girlsaint
    girlsaint Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Fill the freezer with microwaveable single-serve meals. I like the lean cuisine and there is another one that is oriental chicken or something. It will satisfy the "gotta eat now" and the "I'm alone this is just for me" at the same time. The nutritional information is listed on the side of the box. Pay special attention to the sodium content, because that can be a pitfall of the premade stuff.

Bonus: The boxes are small and they fit nicely in front of you when you are playing XBox live.

Good luck... and avoid the Chinese restaurant unless you can stick to the Sushi bar.
  • 60HzShuffle
    Options
    http://www.cookinglight.com/

I'm sure you could find things off this site that are healthy, taste good, and are relatively easy to prep and store for multiple meals. I look for dishes with a good amount of complex carbs and high fiber (I like black beans for example). I was never into cooking but have gotten more and more into it because I can control the ingredients more than frozen meals (those are ok every once in a while but portions are generally a little small for me).
  • jperry902
    Options
    Fill the freezer with microwaveable single-serve meals. I like the lean cuisine and there is another one that is oriental chicken or something. It will satisfy the "gotta eat now" and the "I'm alone this is just for me" at the same time. The nutritional information is listed on the side of the box. Pay special attention to the sodium content, because that can be a pitfall of the premade stuff.

Bonus: The boxes are small and they fit nicely in front of you when you are playing XBox live.

Good luck... and avoid the Chinese restaurant unless you can stick to the Sushi bar.

we have solved the problem basically I'm going to be cooking all the time. I'm going to pre-make meals for him,lol.-courtney
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hey there you poor thing! :)
    cook a really healthy i dunno bolagnese sause and freeze into little bags thats way you have the base for spagetti,lasange,meatballs,pasta sauce ect ect ect!
    think big and freeze!! that way you always have a choise of healthy options in!
    good luck
  • karriecook
    karriecook Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Courtney, how nice of you to take care of your man!! LOL!

for me, I have to have a plan and know what I'm going to eat or i'll make bad impulsive choices. i usually cook in bulk and divide it up so i can just grab and heat. i always have a couple lean cuisine or WW meals in the freezer to fall back on.
  • jperry902
    Options
    she didn't make me anything for supper tonight! lol..

but I did make something.. some veggies, sweet and sour pork, and rice.. the sauce for the pork shot my meal up in sodium.. but atleast im doing good calorie wise =P