• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    What is my middle name?

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I actually think these types of stories (and yours is exceptional among the exceptional) are maybe my favorite part of MFP.

I know for me, lifting is hard from me because I'm in love with cardio. So when I have gym time (especially in the spring and summer) I want to go outside and run more often than that.

I think the main reason for that is I have never had a clear laid out plan for lifting. I've heard so much about the 5x5 programs, I'm going to start the ice cream one and run with it for a while and see where it takes me. (Thank you for that advice)

Just curious, with making all your own food has your food budget changed?

Lastly...you can't take my beer away from me :)

Thank you very much for sharing your story!
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Since it wouldn't let me edit my post, I did have one more question...

Do you use any sort of device to measure body fat / BMI / etc or do you just use a calculator?

I hit my weight loss goal and for a while I was doing a good job of lifting and building muscle, but my biggest frustration came from not having a number to look at and shoot for. I might take your suggestions and do monthly pics, but I like to have a solid target to hit and not just look 'better'.
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    OK - so as I've said I've read the whole thread, so I hope you don't mind if I pop out a few questions...

first of all let's make sure I've grasped the whole concept correctly.....

1. you start of on a calorie deficit to get rid of body fat... but you start to do weights asap to preserve the muscle mass you have

2. you then decide to bulk up.... so eat a calorie surplus - with plenty of protein (how do you know when it's time for this?) - do you do more intense / regular workouts during the bulk up stage? or keep it constant

3. After a while you drop back down to a surplus (again - when?)

4. This process continues... indefinitely.

Also, how long did it take and how difficult was it to get your body to that of picture no.2? (that's more what I would be aspiring too - Id prefer that to the 6 pack look, it just wouldn't work on me - were you doing much weightlifting at that point?)

Personally, Im 28, 160lbs, 5"9. - not technically overweight, but like a lot of guys, am carrying fat on my stomach and lovehandle area. (oh and my body fat shows up at 16 - 16.5% on my fitbit scales, but I know this is to be taken with a large pinch of salt)

Have been doing 1200 cals for about 4 weeks, but I now know that too be abit too low and I'm gonna be burning muscles.

Obviously this needs changing, especially as I have a history of going through phases of obsessive calorie limitation and dropping down to an unhealthy weight - to the point of borederline eating disorder....

Do you think this would have had any long term effects on my metabolism or anything, which might potentially make it difficult to do it the healthy way? (if I go back to eating whatever I want without thinking about cals, I can / do put weight on easily)

sorry for the long post and thanks in advance if you take the time to read it, etc.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    In for more stalking
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Two threads! Wow! I love it! Thank you all for all your great questions!
    Hi mate, absolutely awesome thread and having read it all, I feel like I learnt loads. Just a couple of questions for you;

How many bulk and cuts did you do to transform yourself from your middle picture to the one on the far right?

What would you say is a good point to start your first bulk? (I've got a long way to go 5'8" and 175lbs approx 25% bf but diets going well thanks to you and calorie counting).

Thanks for taking the time out to answer all the questions (and posting all the videos on youtube, they're really usefull).

There were probably 3 bulk cut cycles between pics 2 and 3. Your first bulk depends on a lot of things. Too many people say cut until you have a 6 pack then bulk. In reality that barely ever works, especially if you are coming from a very heavy starting point. Basically you reach a point where you are comfortable enough with the amount of fat you carry that you won't mind putting a bit more on while you gain some mass. This will vary from person to person. Also, if you are not relatively lean when starting your first bulk, it'l likely be a short one. I prefer to bulk 6 months + now but my first 2 were probably both half that long.
    Can I eat junk food and still get a 6 pack? I mean, in.
    In moderation, sure!
    What is my middle name?
    If I had to guess I'd say Michael. A lot of men have that middle name.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    For maintaining, how much are you working out? Do you do 5-6 days a week or just take care of your diet and work out 2-3 times a week?
    How did you modify your diet to lose as much fat as possible, and not as much muscle or other things?

I am not in maintenance and probably won't be for several years to come. I continue to do periods of muscle building and fat loss. At this point I usually do weights 3x a week when in fat loss and 4x a week when muscle building. I do yoga 1 day a week. I do not do formal cardio but I stay generally active. To lose fat while maintaining muscle you need to eat in a deficit, get in adequate protein, and lift weights at least 3x a week.
    I actually think these types of stories (and yours is exceptional among the exceptional) are maybe my favorite part of MFP.

I know for me, lifting is hard from me because I'm in love with cardio. So when I have gym time (especially in the spring and summer) I want to go outside and run more often than that.

I think the main reason for that is I have never had a clear laid out plan for lifting. I've heard so much about the 5x5 programs, I'm going to start the ice cream one and run with it for a while and see where it takes me. (Thank you for that advice)

Just curious, with making all your own food has your food budget changed?

Lastly...you can't take my beer away from me :)

Thank you very much for sharing your story!

Since it wouldn't let me edit my post, I did have one more question...

Do you use any sort of device to measure body fat / BMI / etc or do you just use a calculator?

I hit my weight loss goal and for a while I was doing a good job of lifting and building muscle, but my biggest frustration came from not having a number to look at and shoot for. I might take your suggestions and do monthly pics, but I like to have a solid target to hit and not just look 'better'.
    I actually spend less buying food to prepare at home then eating out 10+ times a week. I know McDonald's is cheap but not when you order a value meal, an extra double cheeseburger, a shake, and a snack wrap to eat on the way because you'll never make it the entire 5 minutes home without eating. I also buy food at Sam's Club in bulk. Chicken breast, fruit, vegetables, greek yogurt, cheese, cereals, nuts, all that stuff I buy in bulk and it saves me a TON! I don't measure my body fat %. The number is of no value to me. What I personally look like at 10, 12, or 15% is going to be different then what someone else looks like at the same percentage. Basically I cut when I think I am carrying too much fat, and I bulk when my fat levels reach a point low enough that I will be able to carry the bulk on long enough without looking too "fat" for my tastes. The actual body fat percentage doesn't really make any difference at all to me.
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I just repeat what I said in part 1 (Thanks for part 2 by the way!!) which was basically YOU ARE TOTALLY AWESOME.:smile:
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LaneB89
    LaneB89 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do you believe there's any value to intermittent fasting in terms of helping to oxidize fat in more 'stubborn' areas or areas of subcutaneous fat in general?
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I bulked from December '12 through July '13, and have been cutting for a good eleven months now with decent success; I think what I ended up with after an initial 10 lb loss was a recomp of sorts. My weight is holding steady in the upper 150's (I'm 5'10"), but I have much more visible muscle definition everywhere.

After almost a year of dieting, I'm really struggling with hunger cues; as in, I don't think I feel them anymore. I can't tell when I'm hungry, and when I'm full. This past year, I've taken a few weekends off where I didn't track or worry. I decided to take this entire week off and eat intuitively, and I think I've lost that ability. I ate two cartons of Ben and Jerry's yesterday because I never felt "full." I'd like to not make that a habit, but I don't know how to fix it.

Any advice? Did you ever experience something like this? I'm a long-time lurker on bb.com, and always appreciate your posts in the LF forum.
  • Shaselai
    Shaselai Posts: 151
    Options
    Vismal, you are such an inspiration! I am also on my road to weight loss and my starting weight and would love some tips!
    Current Stats:
    Male:32
    SW: 297. CW: 244 GW:176(according to ideal BW for 5'9 32 year old fella)
    BMR: 2047
    Diet plan: Keto - 65%fat/30%protein/5%carbs
    Intake: ~1300
    TDEE (using 3 months of weightloss + calorie intake) ~ 3100

Activity level: Alternate 12 hours total zumba (usually alternate 1hr/2hr days). Started the icecream 5x5 recently.
    Currently feels: fine - no side effects of eating too low calories (weak/dizzy/feeling starved). If i am hungry i eat, even if it puts me above my calories. I have fun with making food and dont feel restricted by the diet at all.

Reason to lose: appearance and girl.

My questions are:
    1. Is there anything I should change at this point? I am losing, feeling fine and enjoying working out for once - I honestly dont think i could workout if there's no Zumba (i am like you dont like stationary stuff at all). I am counting calories and similar to you i generally have my meal plan set for the weekdays (i make a batch sunday night for lunch and dinner for M-F).

2. I am on the side of "keep it rolling" - i understand plateau might come eventually but now i want to lose as much as possible so when i do hit it i wouldve lost more than if i lost slowly - is this a bad mentality?

3. On the case of loose skin, it does seem losing slower causes the skin to lag less severe, but does the benefit outweigh the potential benefits of losing asap? I guess another way of saying it is is it better to lose quick or lose slow? I suppose losing quick will have more skin problem to deal with.

4. also saw your comment about "something showing more" as you lost weight. When did that "fat pad" above that thing disappear for you and is the saying " 1inch per 35 lbs" hold true at all??

5. Finally a more personal question but did you have any health problems (diabetes etc.) when you started and if yes how are they now?

Thanks!!!!
  • mekobaby
    mekobaby Posts: 11
    Options
    You have done great no doubt...however, unless I am really missing something, you werent morbidly obese! Its a misleading title. I doubt a person with true morbid obesity could get abs without some pretty fancy knifework...just sayin'!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    You have done great no doubt...however, unless I am really missing something, you werent morbidly obese! Its a misleading title. I doubt a person with true morbid obesity could get abs without some pretty fancy knifework...just sayin'!

315# it says in his profile.
  • danielleeu
    danielleeu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    bump-thanks for all this great help and info, by the way! :)
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    In for part 2...
    Always great advice and inspiration.

Also not bad on the eyes and a great success story.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    In for part 2
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    In for part 2...
    Always great advice and inspiration.

Also not bad on the eyes and a great success story.

You're the best Kim :laugh: :laugh: Also, agreed :drinker:
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

There were probably 3 bulk cut cycles between pics 2 and 3. Your first bulk depends on a lot of things. Too many people say cut until you have a 6 pack then bulk. In reality that barely ever works, especially if you are coming from a very heavy starting point. Basically you reach a point where you are comfortable enough with the amount of fat you carry that you won't mind putting a bit more on while you gain some mass. This will vary from person to person. Also, if you are not relatively lean when starting your first bulk, it'l likely be a short one. I prefer to bulk 6 months + now but my first 2 were probably both half that long.
    just curious what makes you say this since this is essentially my plan lol

is it due to loose skin or just that most people lack the proper abdominal mass to have a 6-pack at that stage?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!