METFORMIN

Options
METFORMIN.....ANY SUCCESS STORIES, AND WHAT KIND OF SUCCESSES?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It takes about 1 unit off your HbA1c, that's why it's used in diabetics.
  • DevSanchez
    DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed it for PCOS and insulin resistance. Hope it works!
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Im on it for pcos/insulin it helps but it wont make you lose weight with out the work but it makes the work a lot more efficient :D I have been on it for bout 6 years. When i first got on it the nausea caused me to lose 20 which i gained back. But now with the life style change a diabetic diet prescribed by my endo working with a nutritionist ive lost 70 but it hasnt been easy. Its still hard to lose the weight but it sure helps to make it possible.

Are you on aldactone/spironolactone as well?
  • DevSanchez
    Options
    Good for you! I am going into this knowing I still have to put forth the effort to lose it! I am looking at the medication as a tool not the answer. It makes my stomach upset and suppresses my appetite though! I hope that changes with time.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Staying away from sugar & starch along with lifting heavy worked for me.
    The metformin helps to keep my BG under control but without the other 2 components listed above...it did nothing for me.

I hurt my back & wasn't working with weights for about 3 months and though I still stayed away from the sugar & starch, I lost some of that tight control I had been enjoying.

As an aside, my endo was happy with my recent 6.0 A1c (me, not so much) and convinced me to decrease my Met. Big mistake, that also started a backslide that I'm only now recovering from.

Both setbacks occurred at different times independently of each other and after 4 months, I'm only now getting back to where I need to be. Also, calorie deficit.

My targets are stricter than that of my endo. It's been my experience that once my BG's are under a certain threshold, caloric deficit works in the manner it's supposed to.
  • DevSanchez
    Options

I was on spironolactone and it worked great but I haven't been on them together.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed it for PCOS and insulin resistance. Hope it works!

It's one of the most widely used drugs, with a good track record and no safety issues. It can only do so much though.

http://www.jcrm.org/meet-our-staff/michaelfox/ advocates a low carbohydrate approach for PCOS / IR, I heard him speak recently.
  • DevSanchez
    Options
    Staying away from sugar & starch along with lifting heavy worked for me.
    The metformin helps to keep my BG under control but without the other 2 components listed above...it did nothing for me.

I hurt my back & wasn't working with weights for about 3 months and though I still stayed away from the sugar & starch, I lost some of that tight control I had been enjoying.

As an aside, my endo was happy with my recent 6.0 A1c (me, not so much) and convinced me to decrease my Met. Big mistake, that also started a backslide that I'm only now recovering from.

Both setbacks occurred at different times independently of each other and after 4 months, I'm only now getting back to where I need to be. Also, calorie deficit.

My targets are stricter than that of my endo. It's been my experience that once my BG's are under a certain threshold, caloric deficit works in the manner it's supposed to.

Wonderful advice! Thank you!
  • archuvs
    archuvs Posts: 9
    Options
    With Metformin, this time around I have realized that my body isn't as tolerant of carbs as it used to be. Could also be that getting into my 30s is changing my body or that I am on the Metformin ER not the regular Metformin.

I used to be on Metformin 1500 mg a few years back and lost a lot of weight on it. But as someone here said, it was hard work losing the weight then too. This time around, it's the same way but at least the measurements of my body are changing (the scale doesn't move as much).
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've been on it since February. I'm down by 7 lbs. I find that water weight can get a little crazy on it, but for the most part it is helping. I have around 50 lbs to go so I hope I'm not on it for years. But so far, I'm pretty happy with the results.
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I also have insulin resistant PCOS. I was able to not go on metformin in the end (even though initially my doc didn't see a way for me to not go on it). I gave it three months and focused on exercise and nutrition and "things" became more normal, so I didn't end up having to go on it. Sugars and getting enough exercise are the biggest things that I found helped.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I was on spironolactone and it worked great but I haven't been on them together.

I am. I'm not terribly impressed with the results of the aldactone thus far, but my doc asked me to give it a year.
  • VTRutz
    VTRutz Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Low(er) carb and exercise are the only thing that helps me lose weight with my IR PCOS. Metformin only ever made me sick :(
  • DevSanchez
    Options

I am. I'm not terribly impressed with the results of the aldactone thus far, but my doc asked me to give it a year.

It takes awhile to see results. It helped balance some hormonal issues I had. Only reason I stopped is that I would like to have children fairly soon and was told it causes deformities if you end up pregnant while on the medication.
  • bgmomof3boys
    Options
    I am insulin resistant and have been on metformin for 2 years. I lost a few pounds initially and kept plugging away with eating healthy and exercise with NO results. than I went off my birth control last october and have lost another 15 pounds and am still losing with out changing anything! i still eat the same and exercise the same. my endocrinologist said that some people's metabolic systems can be severely affected by birth control and antidepressants where despite calorie deficits and healthy lifestyles they are unable to loose weight. so happy things are finally moving in the right direction!
  • Gwennie9476
    Gwennie9476 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, but I have never used this drug. My mom had diabetes and she was on this. It caused her intestinal distress the entire time she was on it which was 15+ years.

I haven't had a problem losing weight, but everyone is totally different. I do hope it works for you. I use herbal medications such as cinnamon, etc.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Metformin totally kicks me around the block every time I take it, but it seems to help me lost the weight I need to lose. The nausea is so bad, though, that I have to take it right before I do to bed so that the worst of the effects pass before I get up in the morning--otherwise I can't take it the night before I get up and go do something active. I've also noticed that it's gotten progressively more difficult to eat supper when I do take met. I'm all for getting to a diet-controlled level for my Type II diabetes and leaving met behind. :laugh:

Good luck on your journey toward better health!
  • canadianbooty
    Options
    I have taken it, but it causes my blood sugar to drop so low at night that I cannot get out of bed in the morning. I take it for PCOS. Well, I used to. I stopped because I like the odd drink, and thats a no no. Plus the low blood sugar thing. I prefer diet and exercise. As long as I am at a healthy weight I donèt seem to need it. I think it is a wonder drug, but I canèt get up and eat all night while on it. It is just a no go for me. Not to mention the heart burn.

Right now I have no PCOS symptoms either, but that is all diet and exercise related I think. I have heard of people losing weight on it, but I never have.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I take it for insulin resistance, which my doctor believes occurred from a long untreated thyroid. Since using metformin and my thyroid meds, I'm finally losing weight like a "normal" person per my calorie deficits. Once I get down to my goal weight, we'll see if I need the metformin anymore. My A1C has been dropping as I lose the weight as well, but we'll see where it is when I'm finally in the weight range I want to be in.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Im on it for pcos/insulin it helps but it wont make you lose weight with out the work but it makes the work a lot more efficient

I agree with this. The weight won't magically fall off, unless due to side effects, but it will make you finally *able* to lose weight WHEN you do the work. I've been on it for...gosh, not sure. 15 years? Somewhere around there. For me personally, a low card (or low-GI) diet never did much other than make me crabby LOL. So I just go strictly by calories. It's slow going, but it mostly works.