Barefoot or full support?

Options
Oh I'm so confused. Trainers are so confusing. I've signed up to a 10k but I'm not a runner so I'm starting from scratch. I have fairly flat feet and knees that complain so I don't know whether to get shoes with arch support or ones that are more lightweight. The activities I normally do is usually without shoes so I'm not really used to wearing trainers anyway.
What are your experiences? :S

Replies

• jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you go to a store that can help you find the right shoe - one that specializes in running. Minimalist shoes are great - for some people. Full support shoes are great - for some people. Try walking & running in the store with your shoes on . Try 3+ pairs. Be honest about how they feel and give lots of feedback to the person helping you - you'll find the right pair for you.

Based on your flat feet and sore knees comment though, you should probably have shoes with some support.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you go to a store that can help you find the right shoe - one that specializes in running. Minimalist shoes are great - for some people. Full support shoes are great - for some people. Try walking & running in the store with your shoes on . Try 3+ pairs. Be honest about how they feel and give lots of feedback to the person helping you - you'll find the right pair for you.

Based on your flat feet and sore knees comment though, you should probably have shoes with some support.

^This^

Some running stores will even let you return shoes you've been wearing for a while if they aren't working out you.
  • RedRider230
    RedRider230 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If you have flat feet you probably over pronate which means at a certain point in your gait your feet will roll in excessively. This can lead to foot pain, ankle pain and knee pain to name a few.

You most likely need some sort of "motion control" running shoe to correct it. There are different levels of support in a motion control running shoe. Go to a running shoe store where they will watch you run and walk, basically a gait analysis. They will assess that, your foot type, arch type and recommend shoes tailored to your specific needs. Try on several as different models will have different fit characteristics.

Most over pronaters do not do well in the barefoot or minimal type shoe. There is a reason why these companies are currently under going class action lawsuits! I would highly recommend you stay away from those.

Go to a store that specializes in running shoes and you should be doing great.

Good luck!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    The Barefoot shoe companies are getting in a lot of trouble for advocating that barefood is better but not having facts to back it up.

I personally am not a big runner (the elliptical is my friend) but I would say find a good shoe store and find a pair of shoes that give you the support you need. I'd rather see you get shoes that are comfortable and encourage you to run more often / burn more calories / improve your heart than to get a bare of bare foots that could potential limit your effectiveness or risk injury. Just my 2 cents.
  • miriyummy
    miriyummy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Barefoot seems contentious. I think I'll play safe with my knees and look for ones with support.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I always used to run with shoes (back when I was skinny and ran all the time). The only thing that tempted me with the barefoot thing was a documentary I watched once about South Americans that would run 100 miles in a day on discarded tire rubber.

Made me feel silly spending so much on running shoes at the time.

I think it comes down to preference and how you run. If I had twenty miles of grass I could spend the day on I probably would go barefoot. If I am going to be hitting hard concrete over and over I would likely prefer shoes with some amount of cushioning in them.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Yup, a good answer!