Isn't 1200 calories too much for a 5ft tall woman?

Options

Replies

• camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Start logging everything or you will never know if you actually eat what you think you eat. Everything counts.

People usually underestimate food, even when they log everything. So you may think you are eating 1200 but you could be eating 1500 or 1700.

Log everything and measure everything with a kitchen scale
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Smiling makes everything better. It so burns calories !!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • goalaska
    Options
    Hey everyone, thanks so much for your input. I just wanted to update you all since making the changes you've suggested.

I just wanted to start off by saying I know all the calorie counters out there and discussions in the MFP community would say my dilemma and it's solution are totally obvious and simple, and I agree with the logic of under-eating= slow metabolism= trouble losing weight. But I really didn't believe that *I* was amongst those people who needed to increase cals, even though the numbers speak for themselves. I can't explain this irrationality. I hope other posters don't think I was asking the same old "1200 calorie" question because I really thought I would pack on the weight again.

So, in the the last 9 days since I first posted this question I increased my calories from 800-1000 to 1300 and now 1400. I have meticulously weighed and logged absolutely everything and I have lost 1 kg (2.2 pounds), I know it's not much, but it's a HUGE deal for me as I've been stuck on my current weight for 4 months. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!! I get to eat and enjoy my meals, and I feel like I'm really 'taking care' of my body. I know it's been only 9 days, but I'm so much happier, my eyes are brighter, I sleep better, my mood is good.

I finally feel like my mind and body are in harmony as I'm not fighting myself, can't believe I get to eat when I'm hungry. That may sound crazy to some people, but hunger was a natural state for me, it didn't even register as hunger after so many months/years of eating like I was. Feeling comfortably full made me unhappy as I would think that I had fallen off the wagon again. It was a weird sort of self-punishment I guess, I simply could not lose weight, and blamed it on being a "fat" person, and would loathe my self for it.

I don't have an eating disorder or anything, just disordered thinking maybe.

I'm a little confused about this whole metabolism reset thing, shouldn't this take at least a month to see positive results? I'm experiencing real hunger more often now, is that a sign I should eat more or simply that my metabolism is up again? My TDEE is 2000 at sedentary and BMR is 1380 (I do walk everyday, but have *no idea* how much a 40 min power walk burns bc every counter says something different). I'm too scared to eat 2000 (#first world problems), but does anyone think I should go up from 1400 because of the increased hunger? This might be a silly question, but are we supposed to experience hunger when losing weight?, because this last week has really caused shift in my thinking re: weight loss and diet. And finally, right now I am super reliant on my kitchen scales for everything, I trying to practise estimating accurately by serving out the portion and then weighing it but I'm always way off, especially with meats and cheese, I hope it gets easier.

Thanks again everyone :)
  • bb1266
    bb1266 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    According to BMI charts, a five-foot tall woman is considered UNDERWEIGHT at 125 pounds. That's why your body is fighting you. Stop punishing it. If you don't like the way you look, focus on toning up, not losing weight.

Excuse my french, but that's bull****. I'm 5'0, I know the BMI charts, and I'm not underweight until I get to under 95, and even BMI charts are only indicators of health, skewed towards taller individuals and not accurately reflecting the weight needs of shorter people.

Where on earth did you find those numbers?
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    According to BMI charts, a five-foot tall woman is considered UNDERWEIGHT at 125 pounds. That's why your body is fighting you. Stop punishing it. If you don't like the way you look, focus on toning up, not losing weight.

Excuse my french, but that's bull****. I'm 5'0, I know the BMI charts, and I'm not underweight until I get to under 95, and even BMI charts are only indicators of health, skewed towards taller individuals and not accurately reflecting the weight needs of shorter people.

Where on earth did you find those numbers?

You missed it. That poster realized it was a mistake and retracted that above.
  • anita0210
    Options
    I am 5ft2 and 140 lbs. I find that eating above 1400 calories I start to gain weight.

If i do 1200 calories with exercise i start to lose weight. Without exercise... i dont. So that also leaves me to question the amount of calories recommended because if my net were 1200 i do not see weight loss for months and i dont ev. feel hungry.

At barely 5ft2 i aim for 1000 on one day 1200 on another with excercise
  • meldant
    meldant Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this very same question. I am 5'1" and weigh 124. I am trying to get down to 120 and I find that the only way I can lose weight is to drop below 1200 calories. I wear a fitbit and try to get 10,000 steps per day, so I'm pretty active. I just think it's my reality. I gain weight if I regularly eat 1200 or more calories per day. I can do it a couple of days per week, but most days, I need to keep my calories lower than 1200 to lose weight. I totally agree that logging food HONESTLY is the key. It takes very little food to get to 1200 calories.
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Weight is just a number and the scale is a dirty little liar. Take measurements and you may find that you are losing inches but not weight. I would also recommend looking at a TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) calculator and reassess your calorie intake. 1200 is way too little and I couldn't survive on that small of an amount of food EVER. According to BMI charts I'm overweight at 5'3" and 147lbs, but if you saw me in real life, I don't look like I weight that much. My goal weight is 140 which would put me a little below overweight, but not much, but to be honest, at this point, my weight doesn't bother me because I know I'm fit. The closer you get to goal the longer it takes for weight to come off. Up your calories a bit so that when you hit goal, you'll be able to maintain easier. I am currently eating anywhere from 1800-2300 calories a day am still losing inches and VERY slowly losing weight, like a half a pound to a pound a month. I also workout 5-6 days a week, usually putting in 500-800 calorie burns each time.

I would rather eat and lose slowly than live a life constantly being hungry. We're only human, so why put your body through hell just to attain a number? Good luck and hopes this helps!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Weight is just a number and the scale is a dirty little liar.

No, it's not. It's a valid measure, although there are others. It's certainly the most accessible to the average person. If you lose weight you lose inches somewhere.
  • crystalfisher89
    Options
    Hey everyone, thanks so much for your input. I just wanted to update you all since making the changes you've suggested.

I just wanted to start off by saying I know all the calorie counters out there and discussions in the MFP community would say my dilemma and it's solution are totally obvious and simple, and I agree with the logic of under-eating= slow metabolism= trouble losing weight. But I really didn't believe that *I* was amongst those people who needed to increase cals, even though the numbers speak for themselves. I can't explain this irrationality. I hope other posters don't think I was asking the same old "1200 calorie" question because I really thought I would pack on the weight again.

So, in the the last 9 days since I first posted this question I increased my calories from 800-1000 to 1300 and now 1400. I have meticulously weighed and logged absolutely everything and I have lost 1 kg (2.2 pounds), I know it's not much, but it's a HUGE deal for me as I've been stuck on my current weight for 4 months. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!! I get to eat and enjoy my meals, and I feel like I'm really 'taking care' of my body. I know it's been only 9 days, but I'm so much happier, my eyes are brighter, I sleep better, my mood is good.

I finally feel like my mind and body are in harmony as I'm not fighting myself, can't believe I get to eat when I'm hungry. That may sound crazy to some people, but hunger was a natural state for me, it didn't even register as hunger after so many months/years of eating like I was. Feeling comfortably full made me unhappy as I would think that I had fallen off the wagon again. It was a weird sort of self-punishment I guess, I simply could not lose weight, and blamed it on being a "fat" person, and would loathe my self for it.

I don't have an eating disorder or anything, just disordered thinking maybe.

I'm a little confused about this whole metabolism reset thing, shouldn't this take at least a month to see positive results? I'm experiencing real hunger more often now, is that a sign I should eat more or simply that my metabolism is up again? My TDEE is 2000 at sedentary and BMR is 1380 (I do walk everyday, but have *no idea* how much a 40 min power walk burns bc every counter says something different). I'm too scared to eat 2000 (#first world problems), but does anyone think I should go up from 1400 because of the increased hunger? This might be a silly question, but are we supposed to experience hunger when losing weight?, because this last week has really caused shift in my thinking re: weight loss and diet. And finally, right now I am super reliant on my kitchen scales for everything, I trying to practise estimating accurately by serving out the portion and then weighing it but I'm always way off, especially with meats and cheese, I hope it gets easier.

Thanks again everyone :)

One thing you should do is slowly up your calories. Up your calories to 1400 for about a month and slowly up them again. You need to be eating at least above your BMR. Your BMR is your calorie burn if you were comatose. If your TDEE is 2000 I'd say take a 10%-15% (at the most 15%) cut off of your TDEE and eat around there. Because you've been eating so little for so long, slowly up the intake. You may notice you'll gain a few pounds, but stick with it. It's your body's way of adjusting to the new "surplus" of calories and it is normal for everyone's weight fluctuate by 5lbs. Around my time of the month I almost always gain 5 lbs and then it comes off a few days afterward.
  • crystalfisher89
    Options

No, it's not. It's a valid measure, although there are others. It's certainly the most accessible to the average person. If you lose weight you lose inches somewhere.

You're correct that it is an valid number; however, I don't believe that we should go solely by it. It doesn't take into account body build, lean mass vs fat mass, water weight.... etc. You can lose inches and not lose weight, so that's where I call it a dirty liar. Because you are replacing the fat loss with lean mass which will can cause you to maintain weight rather than lose. Two years ago I weighed 148lbs on my weight loss journey, got down to 138lbs and now I'm back to 148lbs, but my body is different and more toned. Doesn't mean I'm not fit or haven't made progress since that change. What I was trying to say was the scale doesn't tell all.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options

You're correct that it is an valid number; however, I don't believe that we should go solely by it.

I don't think it should be vilified, either. I keep track of several relevant measures. I get tired of people who blame the scale when they should be blaming their habits. They avoid the scale, thus avoiding feedback, and their situation stays the same, or even worsens.

I also think that some people overestimate their muscularity, especially when they are ordinary exercisers.
  • haniame
    haniame Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    actually that's wrong. a five foot tall woman would be normal weight not underweight at 125 lb
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    According to BMI charts, a five-foot tall woman is considered UNDERWEIGHT at 125 pounds.

What?! No. It's actually on the edge of normal/overweight.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft2 and 140 lbs. I find that eating above 1400 calories I start to gain weight.

If i do 1200 calories with exercise i start to lose weight. Without exercise... i dont. So that also leaves me to question the amount of calories recommended because if my net were 1200 i do not see weight loss for months and i dont ev. feel hungry.

Holy what nuts.

Do you weight and measure your food?
    Do you partake In cheat days?
    Do you log in every single day consistently?

I know we're all different and stuffs but at 5'3.5" and 118 lbs if I did 1200 calories I would wither away into dust, let alone 1000 calories. I can lose at my current intake of 2300 if I go to the zoo or get drunk and jump fences too much, along with my usual training routine. I just. ..can't even
  • toutmonpossible
    Options

Holy what nuts.

Do you weight and measure your food?
    Do you partake In cheat days?
    Do you log in every single day consistently?

I know we're all different and stuffs but at 5'3.5" and 118 lbs if I did 1200 calories I would wither away into dust, let alone 1000 calories. I can lose at my current intake of 2300 if I go to the zoo or get drunk and jump fences too much, along with my usual training routine. I just. ..can't even

You'll have to exercise some imagination, then, because the other forum member told you what her situation is. I don't think you do actually understand that "we're all different and stuffs [sic]".
  • notamoment
    notamoment Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    According to BMI charts, a five-foot tall woman is considered UNDERWEIGHT at 125 pounds.

no it's not

I agree. I am 5'2 and healthy weight (BMI) is 104-136 pounds, which I am shooting for 110.

ETA: I eat between 1600-1900 calories.

Im 5'0 and 114 pounds, i also eat 1600 calories a day according to my chart a healthy BMI is 22.00 which puts me at 112 pounds not my goal just making a point that 122 is NOT underweight for a 5'0.

As far as 1200 calories goes, NO it is NOT too much if you up your calories and your gaining weight im guessing your activity level isnt very high?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

no it's not

I second this... as a 5'2" I would be underweight at less than 104 pounds... and I'm shooting for 120.

And no 1200 calories isn't too much for a 5' tall woman... I know I would be hangry all the time if I ate 1200 calories.
  • mekobaby
    mekobaby Posts: 11
    Options
    Not at all! 125 for a 5'0" person is the very high end of normal...