I hate gyms. Other options?

GDLAZ
GDLAZ Posts: 3,784 Member
I really don't like gyms, but it's time to get myself healthy for me and my family. Diet is not as big an issue as lack of exercise and working in a sedentary field. I am not looking to run any marathons or enter any body building competitions. Just looking to lose some weight and generally feel better. I have some arthritis in my ankles and knees, so jogging is out of the question. Never been a runner anyhow. I have a bicycle and will be making an effort to get out on that more frequently, a Wii Fit to mix things up a bit or when weather does not permit riding, and a swimming pool. I have a very small house so no room for any kind of equipment. Any other ideas for activities I might include in the mix to keep things interesting and motivating? Thanks!

Replies

• sticky130
    sticky130 Posts: 101 Member
    Ditto, no fan of gyms either! yet...

We live in a tiny cottage, so very little room, do all of our workouts with a set of adjustable dumbbells, a folding bench which just fits under a spiral staircase & elastics. We've found that theres very little we can't do with this set-up.

Good luck with your choices :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    convict conditioning (book)
    you are your own gym (book)
    strength unbound (website)
    nerdfitness.com

all great resources to get you started with body weight work!!!

no gym needed. gyms are just convient for equipment in one location... also access to fun classes- day care and the reality some people wouldn't go if there wasn't a financial investment in the membership fee.

But no- it's not NEEDED. there are other ways.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    I like kettlebells.
    Super easy to store and take with you on vacation!
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    I don't like de gym too, so I exercise at home with insanity
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    You have a bike so IMO you're all set as far as cardio goes.

Maybe look into a TRX or better yet Adjustable Dumbbells, neither of which take much room.

For the record, I don't like working out at gyms either (and I work at one). I have a gym at home and I LOVE IT!
  • HollyDee14
    HollyDee14 Posts: 21 Member
    I don't know if you have any YMCAs near you, but that's a really good fit for me. I also hate gyms because of the exhibitionistic culture and pressure to look good in order to work out. But, the Y is very family- and community-focused, and isn't like that at all. It's also pretty inexpensive when compared to "real" gyms. Good luck finding what works for you!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Workout videos, yoga, walking, hiking or sports (there are a ton of sand volleyball leagues, kickball, frisbee, softball, etc...teams around here, I know).
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,301 Member
    I mix it up......I like to go to the YMCA and work out sometimes, because there's nothing else to do there, plus it inspires me to be around all sorts of people who are "bringing it" to their workouts!! When I am at home, I am more likely to find something else to do, that is NOT exercise. That being said, I do not enjoy going during peak hours, where there are people everywhere....

Many people have found success in weight and health management, without joining a gym. Best of luck!!!

I
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,784 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions and resources. Gives me some ideas to look into. No Holly, No Y here. I'm in a semi-rural area, any options like that wouldn't be close enough to make a regular commitment.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I've been fit most of my life without ever going to a gym (except the occasion hotel gym when traveling). I've done many different types of exercise:

hiking, biking, walking, running, skating, swimming, softball, basketball, tennis, calisthenics, geocaching, exercise DVDs, active video games, exercise TV shows, gardening, yard work, weights, resistance bands, kettle bell, jump rope

I've also owned home exercise equipment over the years - treadmill, stairmaster, eliptical, universal gym
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    You know you can run and lift weights without aiming for marathons or entering body-building competitions. It's not all or nothing.
  • choppingv
    choppingv Posts: 2
    My family had a membership at Golds but trying to get there as often as I would like/need is hard.
    I have a teenage daughter I tried to get active and go 3 times a week and it was really hard with her schedule.
    I have found a workout program that my family has been able to do at what ever times works with their schedules and getting good results. Have you tried working out at home?
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Walking and biking. Also check out the book or app "You are your own gym".

Also, check into TRX. It's equipment that everyone has room for and is great for strength work!

https://www.trxtraining.com/shop/gear?gclid=CJjfz9eY3r4CFagWMgodIAwAyw
  • texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    I really don't like gyms, but it's time to get myself healthy for me and my family. Diet is not as big an issue as lack of exercise and working in a sedentary field. I am not looking to run any marathons or enter any body building competitions. Just looking to lose some weight and generally feel better. I have some arthritis in my ankles and knees, so jogging is out of the question. Never been a runner anyhow. I have a bicycle and will be making an effort to get out on that more frequently, a Wii Fit to mix things up a bit or when weather does not permit riding, and a swimming pool. I have a very small house so no room for any kind of equipment. Any other ideas for activities I might include in the mix to keep things interesting and motivating? Thanks!

I've had a lot of success with a variety of Beachbody workout programs. P90X, P90X3 and T25 mainly. There's enough intelligence and thought put into the program designs to give you a whole body workout in a minimal amount of space and with minimal equipment (T25 uses the least amount of the programs I've done). Although T25 is relatively high impact unless you modify, so it might not be a good choice if you need to avoid high impact (although there is a lower impact modifier in all the workouts).

-Tex

KPP
  • Happy_Niss
    Happy_Niss Posts: 95 Member
    I do resistance bands and calisthenics, along with running almost every night.
    Gyms weren't my scene, either. Spendy and full of meat heads a lot of the time.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Riding is enough for me. :bigsmile:
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    I did fitnessblender for three months, using 3,5,10,15,20lb dumbbells and barbell with 40lb weights before joining gym. I also have a treadmill, mini stepper, and jump rope...oh a 20lb kettlebell.

I highly recommend fitnessblender. I still love them!