Found out Im pregnant, now what?

Options
So this weekend I found out I am PREGO!!! (not Dr confirmed yet) Unplanned for sure but a blessing none the less. So now what does that do for my goals??? My plan...eat whole foods/better foods this time with few craving treats...still going to exercise however SL5x5 will be on hold til afterwards....Obviously doctors orders will be #1 but any suggestions and advice to keep on track will be very helpful.

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Do what your doctor says. Congrats.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Congrats! General rule is eat nutritious foods, add approx 300 calories to your allowance starting in the 2nd trimester, and generally take care of yourself! Wish you all the best.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    *pregnant
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Congrats...

Ask your doctor if you can still lift...I can't see why not...I suspect you wont be going for any PR's tho.

For me if I were to be pregnant I wouldn't do anything differently than I am right now.

Eat at goal (I suspect goal would change to just above maitenenace maybe) still do my exercise which includes SL and HIIT, walking and biking.

Being pregnant shouldn't have an impact on a healthy lifestyle.
  • cinnamon0033
    cinnamon0033 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congrats, I am sure you can discuss your fitness with your doctor and he or she can suggest a suitable diet plan to help you stay fit while pregnant the safe way. Again congrats on the new baby.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Change your username to "doinitfor2" then consult an actual Doc about proper diet and exercise.
    1234798512_pregnant_woman_break_dancing.gif
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    *pregnant

:flowerforyou:
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Talk to your doctor.
    Change your username to "doinitfor2" then consult an actual Doc about proper diet and exercise.
    Make it stop, I'm dizzy.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Talk to your doctor. Lots of my pregnant friends here on MFP continued their strength-training and lifting routines well into pregnancy. You may not need to give that up.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Talk to your doctor.
    Make it stop, I'm dizzy.
    still love this gif \m/
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    My doctor let me lift through most of my pregnancy with some very strict guidelines. I had to lower my weights. Good luck and Congrats!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    *pregnant
    :flowerforyou:
    :heart:

Congratulations!

Now, barring any medical issues, 2 words: Meghan Leatherman
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    large_2493.jpg

With meat or without?
  • doinitforme3
    Options
    Thanks for the well wishes and advice. I will talk with doc about the lifting. I just want to do it right this time and put myself in a better position to get my body back and better after baby....I dont want to look good for 2 kids...just want to look good.

OK with the prego references....I get it.
  • Modern_Warrior
    Options
    large_2493.jpg

With meat or without?

I suspect this remains to be seen based on the appropriate sonogram. Congratulations!!!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Umm, unless you have complications you should still be able to exercise for quite a while.

My experience with the women around me is that some activity and food might be restricted but a lot isn't and it is recommended to remain active - your doctor remains the best person to provide the info.

Still, in my experience, I saw a triathlon, caving, cycling, yoga, swimming, lifting all part of the active lives around me. Sometimes highly adjusted.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    The typical advice is to eat at maintenance for the first trimester, and see what your OB says about exercise. My OB's general advice was that I could do anything I'd been doing already, cardio-wise, except anything that would be jarring (eg, horseback riding) or could involve falling hard (which would really be bad for anyone). As far as lifting, I'm not sure, but I'd dial it back a bit until you could talk to your doctor.

Congratulations!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    *pregnant

Thank you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    You can still exercise. Practically every instructor got pregnant last year where I work and all of them worked out till they gave birth. What's even more amazing is that in about 2 months after giving birth, they are all back to their lean athletic looking selves again.
    Don't OVEREAT. This is a common thing that lots of females do and justify it by saying they are eating for two, when in truth they are eating for five. As mentioned, you only need about 300 calories more a day.
    Congats!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I worked out until the day I went into labor.
    I have a video of me playing Dance Dance Revolution (pretty intensely) at term. I wanted that baby out.
    Doc was totally cool with this BTW. And I tracked my calories to gain exactly 35 lbs.