Simple question: how do I maintain my weight?

Options
Sounds silly since I have only been a member on here for two days but I started off with weight watchers and switched here. I have lost 20 pounds so far and I'm almost near goal soooo my questions are:

Has anyone reached their goal weight? how do you maintain on here? is there a setting?

Replies

• roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Set your weight loss goal at "0 pounds." Are you REALLY in maintenance or do you want more tone? If so, you can be at your goal weight but not in maintenance.
  • WendyAdelissa
    WendyAdelissa Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have never gotten there so I don't personally have any experience with maintaining but I saw an episode of HBO's weight of the nation (it's on youtube) that talks about the reason so many gain the weight back. At first glance it sounds like depressing news but I found it encouraging because at least now I know and can be prepared to combat this phenomenon. I don't know if i have this exactly right but it makes sense to me. There is something in your brain called leptin. When you are at your highest weight you have a lot of it and your brain is happy because it doesn't understand that the fat is making you unhealthy. As you lose weight, the leptin levels go down and your body will fight you to bring the levels back up. So say for example you are at ideal weight and for someone who looks exactly like you but has never been heavier, she needs 2000 calories a day to maintain. You could do the identical food exercise etc and gain weight. you would need to do 10% more exercise (like burn 200 more calories) and eat 10% less (1800 instead of 2000) This made me feel better because it reinforced in my mind I'm not on a diet, this is for life, and also there is no way in hell I'm gaining any more weight to make this worse than it already is lol. I know some forums don't like you posting links to other websites and such so if you want the link to that episode pm me and I will send it to you. They did a study where they gave a lady who was maintaining leptin and she did a lot better reported less cravings hunger etc. With my luck by the time it is on the market it will either be too insanely expensive or we will find later it causes cancer or some other crap lol. I sincerely wish you the best of luck maintaining your new body for life!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sounds silly since I have only been a member on here for two days but I started off with weight watchers and switched here. I have lost 20 pounds so far and I'm almost near goal soooo my questions are:

Has anyone reached their goal weight? how do you maintain on here? is there a setting?

In your Settings - Diet/Fitness Profile - set weight loss goal to maintain.

Log any exercise that is done, and eat your new goal amount that is shown, it will change daily, since if you burn more, you eat more.

Get rid of a goal weight mentality, you'll need a goal weight range, as there are absolutely total water weight fluctuations that are normal part of body, so 2-4 lbs totally expected one way or the other.
    But if you go over or under that, then it means you need to cut a little back in the calories eaten, because perhaps not logging accurately, so eating more than you log, or the math is just an estimate anyway.

Always keep in mind the fact that if weight gain was only fat, you'd have to eat 250 calories over your real maintenance to slowly gain 1 lb of fat in 2 weeks.
    Reread that so you can appreciate 1 lb in 2 days is water weight.

And here is that video that is mentioned below, it likely does affect you if you did weight watchers for a while. So the numbers suggested are for healthy normal body, but when you've accomplished what the video talks about, that's not the case anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Don't eat too much.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    You just have to keep doing what you did to lose weight but throttle back a bit. This is the reason why failure is so rampant for "diets" and prepared mail order meals. If you stop, you gain. When I came to MFP I changed the type of foods I eat and the amount. I also increased exercise too. Now in maintenance, all I have to do is adjust AND keep doing what got me to this point. Although it feels odd at first, not looking for the scale to go down, it isn't all that much different. Or another way to look at it "a few hundred calories". Coming from weight watchers you may need to take a few weeks or more to settle in here before really changing a lot of things all at once.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You just have to keep doing what you did to lose weight but throttle back a bit. This is the reason why failure is so rampant for "diets" and prepared mail order meals. If you stop, you gain. When I came to MFP I changed the type of foods I eat and the amount. I also increased exercise too. Now in maintenance, all I have to do is adjust AND keep doing what got me to this point. Although it feels odd at first, not looking for the scale to go down, it isn't all that much different. Or another way to look at it "a few hundred calories". Coming from weight watchers you may need to take a few weeks or more to settle in here before really changing a lot of things all at once.
    Pretty much this. Just don't lose sight of it. The journey never ends.
  • jvaughn1031
    jvaughn1031 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be a dink but weight watchers isn't a rampant diet and you don't order meals. You can actually eat whatever you want but instead of calories, they use "points". Same thing.

I just didn't want to pay for it anymore. I can count calories instead of "points"
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Although I don't have a clue what weight watchers is about, I was just trying to say when changing plans you may need to "settle in". I have had to do a little tweaking here and there to get my numbers right. I didn't mean to imply or lump you into that mail order category but the point is valid. MFP may very well be another way to the same goal. Best of luck!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm on maintenance... and yes, MFP has a setting for that! I just set my goal to maintain my weight under Settings>Update diet/fitness profile.

It's worked really well for me. I've maintained my 66 pound loss for over two years now. :-)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be a dink but weight watchers isn't a rampant diet and you don't order meals. You can actually eat whatever you want but instead of calories, they use "points". Same thing.

I just didn't want to pay for it anymore. I can count calories instead of "points"

Lots of my friends have used Weight Watchers and been successful. I like MFP and have found it very helpful. However, if you don't want to pay but like Weight Watchers, just continue to use their point system and see what they say for maintenance. I know you can do it online (my brother likes their site), but other friends of mine just do it on paper.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    actually when I hit goal weight MFP changed my goal to maintain for me.

I manually set my calories and macros and am currently reverse dieting up...

50 calories a day for a week...then another 50 calories a day for the next week etc.

Maintaining is basically the same as losing...the only sticky part is finding the amount of calories you need to maintain...

Logging all your food, eating back exercise calories rinse repeat.
  • JoJo0921
    JoJo0921 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience, the MFP calculator was pretty off and suggested way too little calories for me, and I like to customize my macros more. I use the calculator at iifym.com to get my calorie and macro counts and plug them into the custom settings on MFP, and make sure I am hitting my macros every day and I have been able to maintain the same weight (give or take a pound or two) for a couple years.