Scale obsession!

Options

Replies

• tiffanyrosborn
    Options
    Once a month....to keep myself from going crazy :)
  • maanders
    maanders Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and log it in an excel sheet. It's cool to see the graph with the daily fluctuations and then an overall downward trend.

Personally for me, it has helped me get used to those fluctuations.

Yea!! I'm not the only one with a spreadsheet like this. Doing the exact same thing here. :drinker:
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Once a week every Sunday morning right after I get up.

Your profile pic is badass! I stalked your profile (creepy? Sorry! lol) Congrats on your hard work - so inspiring to see hard work pay off!

I was thinking the same thing but I didn't creep. Still awesome work! Can't wait to see you in the success forum...
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and log it in an excel sheet. It's cool to see the graph with the daily fluctuations and then an overall downward trend.

Yea!! I'm not the only one with a spreadsheet like this. Doing the exact same thing here. :drinker:

I track using a phone app doing the same thing. I'm a science geek so I love collecting data :blushing:
  • rosy_08
    rosy_08 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Every morning, in the buff after I've gone potty.

The number jumps around quite a bit, so the only day I really pay attention to is my Thursday weigh in (no idea why Thursday - it's just the day I picked). If you weigh yourself often, just know that the number fluctuates. sometimes it fluctuates a LOT. Don't let it bother you. It isn't weight gain unless you really did eat 3500 calories OVER maintenance (per extra pound).

Ranting, and I know you didn't ask about weight gain, OP. Just getting that out there for anyone who might come in complaining of gaining weight over night. :P

Same here, but my scale syncs with MFP automatically so as soon as I see the number going up I jump off haha (it's not lying to myself because it fluctuates, right?) Maybe I should pick a day to make it my "official" weigh in day.
  • NS81
    NS81 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

I track using a phone app doing the same thing. I'm a science geek so I love collecting data :blushing:

This makes me feel better about my daily weighing lol and intrigued to find an app for this purpose ha!
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

This makes me feel better about my daily weighing lol and intrigued to find an app for this purpose ha!

You guys know the MFP app has a graph and pie chart and all sorts of great tools for visual weight loss too right? Or maybe thats what you guys are talking about, lol. Just thought I would chime in, in case you didnt know......
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I weigh in whenever I go to my sister's apartment or the gym in the morning as I don't own a scale...on purpose or I would be weighing a lot more often! LOL

I am in a contest with my sis...its kind of backward...but whoever loses 10 lbs. first gets a free drink from the loser the next time we go out. :) So basically more sabotage for the loser...LOL
  • NS81
    Options

You guys know the MFP app has a graph and pie chart and all sorts of great tools for visual weight loss too right? Or maybe thats what you guys are talking about, lol. Just thought I would chime in, in case you didnt know......

I'm still figuring MFP out! Technology and I aren't always the best of friends lol
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    [I posted this some time in 2013 in response to a similar question, and I'll repeat it here to save some typing!]

I recommend daily weigh-ins, with a huge caveat: you need to do some math to find the difference between your actual weight loss and the daily fluctuations, which are much larger.

Your weight fluctuates depending on water, salt, and fiber intake, and other factors having nothing to do with calories. Using an exponentially weighted average can help you filter out the noise and focus on the trend, as John Walker explains in "The Hacker's Diet" (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/). The chapter on "The Rubber Bag" explains, briefly, the source of these fluctuations. The chapter on "Signal and Noise" explains how some simple math can filter them out. Walker explains how to do the math, but you can also set up a free account on his server to do it for you, or use a service like Beeminder or TrendWeight.com.

If you're going to be all "OMG! I'm bloated!" if you see the number go up by 2 lbs. from one day to the next, then daily weigh-ins aren't for you. Personally, I'm not bothered, because it's the trend that matters.
  • NS81
    Options
    Thank you for the input!
  • amongstthewildflowers
    amongstthewildflowers Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, I weigh myself every morning after I go to the bathroom and before I eat breakfast. I've tried not to weigh myself everyday but I find it helps me stay on top of everything!
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I don't even own a scale.

The only time that I weigh myself is when I go to my grandparents' or my sisters. I find that I can easily become obsessed with the way that I look and if I had a scale my whole being would become about that number.

I have to tell myself to not exercise on certain days, like if I'm feeling sick. It's okay to have rest days, it's okay to sometimes eat a little over, it won't make me fat because I generally lead a healthy lifestyle, it's okay, I'm okay, being 120 lbs is okay and I look great.

It's hard - but I think I need to not own a scale or else it would become an unhealthy obsession of mine.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

This is what I do. And I keep adding things to the spreadsheet (it's rather massive now). Just yesterday, I added a column, "average (7-day rolling) higher or lower (than previous day)" and conditional formatted it to show red if it is higher. Because it was higher yesterday and I wanted to see if that had happened before and see that it moved back downward. Which it has in the past. And it did this time. But I add columns like that whenever I see something worrisome. Yeah, I'm not obsessed. But whatever, it helps me relax to see the data sometimes.
  • Jeslefisch
    Jeslefisch Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Yes, I log my weight every day on MFP. Even if I gain which is basically my Mondays. But I agree it is cool to see the "downward trend" and it does help since I know if I keep doing it, it will keep going down.
  • NS81
    Options
    I'm the same way, I weigh myself every morning after I go to the bathroom and before I eat breakfast. I've tried not to weigh myself everyday but I find it helps me stay on top of everything!

That's how I feel too! I think part of my attempts in the past, failed because I would "try" to make better choices, then I'd end up gaining a pound or two (which I now realize may not have always been the case) and I'd give up and go back to unhealthy habits (then I would truly gain!) If I weigh myself daily, I get more used to the fluctuations, and even when it's a .2 loss, it's encouragement... clearly a mind game, but whatever works, right? lol
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Daily though I usually log weight losses either in the morning before I do one of my long rides or the night I get back. I'll get higher numbers for a few days after a ride, around three to five pounds and closer to five if it's a longer trip than I'm used to doing. It's yet another way I have to tell if my body is still repairing muscle and whatnot.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself 2 or 3 times a week, just before hoping into the shower. However, I only count the measurement I get on Sunday, as I only actually record it once a week.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Weekly weigh in
  • PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Several times a day