Help! How do I break my convenience addiction??!

Options
I am a creature of convenience. Any shortcut I can take I take it! And I'm getting fed up with myself!

I also happen to be completely addicted to sugar. Ugh.

I know I haven't journaled alot lately but let me give you the short of it:
M-F I do pretty good, we've eaten lots of protien, and veggies, but I usually don't have much left over for my lunchbox (Yes this means me and my youngest child have portion control issues)
So I do a run thru a drive thru, I've been good to do grilled chicken salads, but those are still 500 cals or so.

A friend of mine has mentioned you literally need a lunchbox thru the day to survive this processed world. And yes I know she's right. But like today, I didn't have leftovers and I had 4 errands to run in an hour. So I went thru the drive thru and grabbed some fries and a pop. Bad Bad Bad Bad. It's not bad if this happens once a week, it's more than that.

I've busted my butt, given my last dollar to the gym, and eaten really good some days, but I haven't lost a pound, nothing. Squat. (Yes before my torn meniscus, my squats were stellar!)

I'm focusing more on quality of food than quantity, not necessarily blowing calorie counting out the window but just saying where my focus is, how do I get out of this slump? What do you do to motivate yourself? And I don't have any "skinny" clothes, I've never lost weight by myself....ever. So I have that looming over me too.
Ugh. Just need to figure it out? Suggestions?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    To me it sounds almost like more of an issue with the food you're eating...like maybe you don't just "LOVE" the options you have brought with you to work, or plan to make at home later, etc. So you wind up grabbing something quick & easy but not even being that satisfied with it...is that correct? I could be way off in that guess.

I think it sounds like you might do well with some new recipes, new foods, etc. Changing it up from boring ol' standbys to include new things you will be excited about eating. I used to drive home from work past all of the lovely restaurants (non fast food) thinking "man that Thai place sounds delicious...or sushi...or..." and it was difficult because at home I'd planned a salad or plain sandwich for dinner. Now I think it's a lot easier because we cook a variety of foods and I'm actually excited about the dinner plans at HOME!

For me, convenience foods are way less frequent than they were in the past but I make sure when I have them it is something I really enjoy. For example, I never eat McDonald's or Taco Bell anymore because their food doesn't taste good to me...I don't like fries much so I very rarely eat them...but if I am out & hungry and limited on time and don't have anything else available, I will grab a plain steakburger from Steak N' Shake or even a scoop of Braum's ice cream (for example) because it's so delicious, it satisfies me and is actually "worth" working around...if that makes sense. I have also been known to actually go to a supermarket or Target and buy a banana, a container of yummy noosa yogurt, or a string cheese and a square of dark chocolate with caramel. Still better than grabbing the value meal with not-very-delicious burger, fries & soda. JMHO!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think you'd do better if you focused on QUANTITY. It's more effective and more sustainable. Convenience foods are convenient. This is real life. Unless you make some drastic changes you aren't just going to magically have more free time in which to eat 100% clean. You've got to make life work for you. Fit your convenience food into your calorie and macro nutrient goals when you have to. Eat whole foods when you can. Remember that the most effective "diet" is one you can adhere to for a long period of time (basically forever).

**also you can start doubling your recipes and/or measuring out portions and putting the rest away before you even sit down.
  • akshngrl
    akshngrl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I can really relate to your post. I actually crave vegetables and want to eat delicious healthy foods. But WHERE to get them when I am running around like a mad woman, 2 jobs, 3 little kids?? It's so hard! And yes, I too am a sugar addict ,no doubt about it. AND, I love fast food, it is so easy to get and tastes good to me too.

Here are things that have helped me:

--make a ton of hummus (easy to make and too expensive if you buy it readymade) and pack it in a small container plus another container with celery sticks. I would open both these, put in the car cup holder and eat while driving or in a meeting. Nuts are also good but high in calories.

--a FiberOne or other high fiber bar in my purse can keep me from going through the drive thru. There are 90 calorie bars but even a 200 calorie one is worth the calories to me.

--I am freezer cooking whenever possible. I froze portions of veggie chili in individual containers to grab for work lunches etc.

--I agree with the poster who talked about quantity. Going to McDonald's and having ONE cheeseburger and nothing else, I can work that into an otherwise healthy day of eating. Cheeseburger, fries and a sundae...that's a little harder to work into a healthy day.

I will send you a friend request so we can support each other... Good luck!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think you'd do better if you focused on QUANTITY. It's more effective and more sustainable. Convenience foods are convenient. This is real life. Unless you make some drastic changes you aren't just going to magically have more free time in which to eat 100% clean. You've got to make life work for you. Fit your convenience food into your calorie and macro nutrient goals when you have to. Eat whole foods when you can. Remember that the most effective "diet" is one you can adhere to for a long period of time (basically forever).

**also you can start doubling your recipes and/or measuring out portions and putting the rest away before you even sit down.

Ugh, but Quantity is what drove me to quit the first time. :sad: I'd eat one (what I thought was little, or decent calorie wise) thing and blow my entire day. Maybe I can slowly get both into focus. I have noticed a huge drop in calories since I started eating a bit cleaner. It's just yeah....making clean convenient. boo.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You may have to just force yourself to be consistent until it becomes habit. There's not much that is more convenient than a banana, you know? It even comes in it's own wrapper. And check the nutrition before you eat it - that way you can KNOW it's a good thing for you to have, versus being surprised and having your day "ruined" later.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I pack my lunch the night before work and log it all there. Make sure you buy enough of the things that you actually want to eat. I always have a standby of mac and cheese individual servings (just add water), KIND snackbars, Fiberone bars, and individually packaged hummus and guac with carrots so that I can grab something if I've got a crazy errand day and I just can't sit down and eat a proper meal. Make the good stuff convenient and something you'll actually eat. Keep enough of it in the house.
  • EvelineUK
    EvelineUK Posts: 97
    Options
    If you don't like the idea of sandwiches in a lunchbox, maybe you should go the Japanese way and go for a Bento box?
    That way you could monitor what you eat (make sure you get the right size!), use left overs and can get creative with veggies and fruit.

I've found this website that's got tons of information on Bento boxes and has lots of ideas and pictures to help you get started.
    http://www.lunchinabox.net/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    M-F I do pretty good, we've eaten lots of protien, and veggies, but I usually don't have much left over for my lunchbox (Yes this means me and my youngest child have portion control issues)

You could try to plan ahead and come up with some convenient lunch places where you don't mind the options--I am lucky in that there are some good options around my office and I still rely on them sometimes (more or less, depending, but only because the calories and nutritional content are acceptable to me). I know this isn't a possibility everywhere and it's also too expensive, so bringing lunch is a great plan. Here, it sounds like you need to either make more, if the plan to to bring leftovers (I tend to bring leftover dinners, so make extra portions when I make dinner). Or, if you are and then eating it at breakfast, you need to pack up the lunch when you make it so you don't have that option. I do this and go ahead and log it when I pack it up.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have also been known to actually go to a supermarket or Target and buy a banana, a container of yummy noosa yogurt, or a string cheese and a square of dark chocolate with caramel. Still better than grabbing the value meal with not-very-delicious burger, fries & soda. JMHO!

I am trying to cook for leftovers now (make more *and* get the extra servings into a container before it gets eaten :wink: ), but I still end up going out for lunch at work a couple of times a week. We generally go to the same places, so i have figured out a *safe* lunch option at each of the regular places.

F'rinstance, at the mexican place, it is three ala carte tacos, no rice or beans and stay the h*ll away from the chips while we are waiting. 450 calories takes a little working around, but not nearly as much as the taco plate or a burrito.

Other times, I will head to the grocery store and figure something out: bean sprouts, yogurt, a small fruit assortment, one of those tuna lunches in a packet, some of the Lunchables are not horrible, etc.

It is certainly different and not as *fun* as my old lunch choices, but it's still convenient.

Good luck! It's not easy, but it's worth it!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I had a grocery store lunch today and headed to the tuna aisle. I knew there were individual packets, but was happily surprised at the variety. I had a packet of Starkist sweet and spicy tuna and a Bumblebee buffalo chicken salad with crackers for 100 and 190 calories respectively. coupled that with a small raw veggie tray and was good to go!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I really don't mean to be nasty or rude, but I must be honest. Hear me out.

1.) Stop referring to these things as "addictions," because that's not what they are. You certainly are NOT addicted to sugar OR convenience. Calling it that is simply a way to excuse bad behavior.
    2.) To continue on from #1, stop with the excuses. Just cut it out. You either want to lose the weight or you don't.
    3.) There's no magic way to motivate yourself or to make losing weight easier. You just have to DO IT!
    4.) Weight loss is not easy, but it's simple. Calories in vs. calories out. You need to log accurately and consistently, even if you ate something "bad" and went over your goal, every single day. You need to weigh/measure as much of your food as you can.
    5.) If you don't have food left over at home for lunch, buy more food at the grocery store. If you can afford fast food every day, you can afford a few extra items in your shopping cart.
    6.) Pre-log and prepare yourself with meals/snacks that you enjoy, and enough to last throughout the day. Know what you can eat to stay within your macro/calorie limits and stick to the plan.
    7.) It doesn't matter how much you're "working your butt off" at the gym; if you're eating too many calories, you're not going to lose weight. Refer back to #4. Weight loss happens in the kitchen; fitness happens in the gym.
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Whoever suggested the bento box (which yes I had to google) that idea seems to really spark. Literally you can clean out a little of this and that from your fridge or my baggies of precut veggies and such...

Heck even my kiddos could pack a lunch for me. LOL.

And the box seems small small enough that I could pack it in the cooler I have and grab as I'm "going".

and rpyle the more that I think about it, those tuna pouches, I'm not afraid to grab a fork and dig into the packet, I'm sure you're not supposed to but eh....

These are all good ideas! Now to just practice them, then repeat and repeat!
  • Glynneybug
    Glynneybug Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Food prep. It is a little counter intuitive for those of us that are lazy- yes me! BUT doing more work one day will free you up the rest of the week!!! I prep normally for 3+ days at a time, so I know what I'm going to eat each day and I have it with me. The food may get boring but I am currently retraining myself that food is fuel not: love, boredom relief, comfort.... etc. I'm a TOTAL emotional eater and also am a SUGAR MONSTER.

But when I look at my spinach and think EWWW plain spinach, I reverse the thought and think- *kitten* YES, I'm Popeye!!! Little things like this help me a bunch.

I'm here for you for support or to talk or whatever! We are in this journey together and I BELIEVE IN YOU!!!!!
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    I really don't mean to be nasty or rude, but I must be honest. Hear me out.

1.) Stop referring to these things as "addictions," because that's not what they are. You certainly are NOT addicted to sugar OR convenience. Calling it that is simply a way to excuse bad behavior.
    2.) To continue on from #1, stop with the excuses. Just cut it out. You either want to lose the weight or you don't.
    3.) There's no magic way to motivate yourself or to make losing weight easier. You just have to DO IT!
    4.) Weight loss is not easy, but it's simple. Calories in vs. calories out. You need to log accurately and consistently, even if you ate something "bad" and went over your goal, every single day. You need to weigh/measure as much of your food as you can.
    5.) If you don't have food left over at home for lunch, buy more food at the grocery store. If you can afford fast food every day, you can afford a few extra items in your shopping cart.
    6.) Pre-log and prepare yourself with meals/snacks that you enjoy, and enough to last throughout the day. Know what you can eat to stay within your macro/calorie limits and stick to the plan.
    7.) It doesn't matter how much you're "working your butt off" at the gym; if you're eating too many calories, you're not going to lose weight. Refer back to #4. Weight loss happens in the kitchen; fitness happens in the gym.

Honesty is good. Sometimes it's hard to hear but needs to be said. I definetly don't want to excuse the behaviors. I will have to say that maybe addiction isn't the right word, but it's more than just something I do, it does consume me. as far as convenience, the other night I seriously found myself saying as I'm chopping up veggies for whatever it was we made, that "ugh, this takes so much time I could have just popped something easier in the oven and did the dishes in the sink or another load of laundry." then I had to mentally remind myself that this is how it's supposed to be.

Learning something new is hard, and I'm finding this is the hardest thing I've ever attempted, seriously, if I were to actually do it correctly (because obvioiusly I haven't been). It seems almost inhumane? I say that becuase it goes against everything I was ever taught or read/learned etc about food growing up. Ugh. Learning.

I do like your statement "Weightloss happens in the kitchen, Fitness in the gym" puts it into perspective.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Here's the bottom line - you're eating too many calories on a consistent basis that's why you're not losing weight. Whether you choose healthy calories or junk food calories - it's just too many calories! There's a solution - but it requires willpower and consistency and STAYING WITHIN YOUR CALORIE GOAL.

1 - Log every bite of food that goes into your mouth and stay within your calorie goal
    2 - pack a 'healthy' lunch , but log every bite and stay within your calorie goal
    3 - eat junk food, but log every bite and stay within your calorie goal
    4 - find healthier fast food alternatives - but log every bite and stay within your calorie goal

I think you're seeing the trend here. Log accurately and consistently and stay within your calorie goal and you will lose weight.
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Food prep. It is a little counter intuitive for those of us that are lazy- yes me! BUT doing more work one day will free you up the rest of the week!!! I prep normally for 3+ days at a time, so I know what I'm going to eat each day and I have it with me. The food may get boring but I am currently retraining myself that food is fuel not: love, boredom relief, comfort.... etc. I'm a TOTAL emotional eater and also am a SUGAR MONSTER.

But when I look at my spinach and think EWWW plain spinach, I reverse the thought and think- *kitten* YES, I'm Popeye!!! Little things like this help me a bunch.

I'm here for you for support or to talk or whatever! We are in this journey together and I BELIEVE IN YOU!!!!!
    Awwww :heart: to you too! Yes it does somedays feel like I'm the only one working this hard, ugh, that sounds selfish but we've all been there.
    Yes! I need to really truly think of food as fuel too, not something else, and I really don't know what I think of it as, but I think too much about it I know lol.
    I've thought about doing that food prep thing ahead of time and I know I'd want something different then I'd wait to long to use the mushrooms or something and they'd be icky.

I swear today as I ate my modified meatloaf, no crackers, or bbq sauce/ketchup, just venison, onions and mushrooms...and my greek yogurt, the maintenance guy walks by with these gorgeous chili dogs....I mean I seriously wanted to cry. Bread!!! I havent had bread in foooooooreeever....so emotional!!! :sad:
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard when you're on the go all the time, but you have to put in the effort to make healthier choices more convenient for you. Whether that be stocking up on things you make, some trail mix, hard boiled eggs, whatever. And then make them accessible to you - throw a bunch in a little cooler pack to take with you on your travels so you're always prepared. If you don't end up needing them, then you have them for the next day :flowerforyou:
  • jec228
    jec228 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Convenience for me has been pre planning my weekly meals as best I can, packing a lunch bag every day to take to work to include breakfast, lunch and two snacks. It doesn't get more convenient than that! Designate one day a week and prep your meals and snacks or take 15 minutes each evening before bed to pack for the next day.

There will always be temptation but this goes back to what everyone else said - how badly do you want to achieve your goals? We can't always say no to every drive-thru or doughnuts and cake in the office but I have found it is best to save my treats for nights out with friends, celebrating birthdays, special occasions, etc. They are more meaningful and that way you are having what you REALLY want - not something because it is there or convenient.

I also love sugar and sweets and still allow myself something chocolate almost every day. Find something already portioned out for you... something convenient that fits into your daily goals. and also... log your food! good luck!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I understand how convenience (or avoidance) can definitely be a struggle. I used to order out pizza because it was ready by the time I would get home from work. At my previous job (as I relocated and started a new one just three months ago), I would go out to lunch just because I wanted to avoid doing the dishes for the to go containers.

My recommendations would be:
    -> Remind yourself this isn't easy and it isn't fast. It took us more than a couple weeks to gain the weight, it will take some time to take if off too.
    -> Keep logging, even if you have a "bad" day. I hated seeing the red on days I just wanted to gorg on some pasta, however, on days when I was working out, it would be a nice little reminder that to even myself out. One day won't ruin anything.
    ->Pick one day to cook. My co-worker and I were just talking about this topic. She cooks lots of batch meals on a Saturday or Sunday, then pre-portions everything in tupperware containers for the week, therefore, all she has to do in the morning is toss some containers in a bag. When I first moved here (moved from OH to CA), I had to do that too. However, I've been much better about just cooking another portion of dinner in order have leftovers. I find a piece of chicken grilled can go with anything from a salad to a rice a roni individual container for my convience kick!
  • BluenoserGal
    BluenoserGal Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Awwww :heart: to you too! Yes it does somedays feel like I'm the only one working this hard, ugh, that sounds selfish but we've all been there.
    Yes! I need to really truly think of food as fuel too, not something else, and I really don't know what I think of it as, but I think too much about it I know lol.
    I've thought about doing that food prep thing ahead of time and I know I'd want something different then I'd wait to long to use the mushrooms or something and they'd be icky.

I swear today as I ate my modified meatloaf, no crackers, or bbq sauce/ketchup, just venison, onions and mushrooms...and my greek yogurt, the maintenance guy walks by with these gorgeous chili dogs....I mean I seriously wanted to cry. Bread!!! I havent had bread in foooooooreeever....so emotional!!! :sad:

Hon, you're gonna have to get away from the notion that you are depriving yourself - crying over bread? Seriously? That's a sure way to set yourself up to fail. Work bread into your daily plan. Or you will sabotage yourself, and the pattern will start all over again.

"modified meatloaf' is just regular meatloaf to me. Only extra lean ground beef, not venison. ;-)

Good luck.