Women...

Options
Can anyone else relate to feeling a "bear out of hibernation" level of hungry a week before Aunt Flow visits? I can't seem to find any food that will fill me up enough.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Try water
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    BMR tends to increase around this time so you may wish to increase your calorie allowance slightly to give you a bit more leeway.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    A few days before TOM, I usually have a day where I want to eat ALL THING THINGS!!! It's very annoying. Usually I'll try to work extra cardio in so I can eat more.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    No. Never.
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Usually I don't realize it has happened until I look back at everything I have eaten. Usually my diet has much more sugar in it on TOM days.
  • michelemahbell
    michelemahbell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    very true.. i try to be good though
  • UNLESS19
    UNLESS19 Posts: 118
    Options
    YES! Haha i really struggled on my first round of MFP but tried going for healthy things like a bowl of veg etc and buying really dark chocolate to eat less of it but kick the crave. most of the time it didn't really work. i think it's searching hard for something that works best for you
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal and natural.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I wish I could stop at the level of "bear out of hibernation"... those bears got nothing on what I can put away! :laugh:
  • Menecairiel
    Menecairiel Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Can anyone else relate to feeling a "bear out of hibernation" level of hungry a week before Aunt Flow visits? I can't seem to find any food that will fill me up enough.

I get more snacky. I also allow myself a few more calories if I get so hungry I can't stop myself. Not that many, but enough to scoff some low fat snack.

It's more when I am on that I find myself wanting to eat full fat, carbie, full iron things. Right now, I am contemplating eating the loaf of bread I have in the kitchen. Don't ask, I just want to.

I recommend a cup of tea and one biscuit, naps and things to distract you. But as everyone has said: yes, it's normal.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I take iron supplements for a few days and it helps.
  • jazzyofoz
    jazzyofoz Posts: 1
    Options
    I can relate! I've started to use fruit to deal with my serious chocolate cravings, which helps, but still doesn't make them go away. Working out, on the other hand, is a complete struggle. Today I kept getting cramps like crazy.
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Exactly what I do along with B12.
    I take iron supplements for a few days and it helps.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Can't say I have, but would say it is normal, I guess it takes a lot of energy for the body to get rid of all that gross stuff.

However I do think I crave salty food and even at times chocolate possibly. I don't really take it into consideration much.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I once binged on rice cakes! You know, those little cardboard discs?!! Try eating some yogurt with fruit in it. Also, keep baby carrots around. Try not to kill anyone!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Oh heck yes. I started tracking my TOM as one of the extra things you can add on here-- in addition to weight, waist size, etc. I have found that I consistently overeat hugely for 2 days, then can eat normally for a day or two, and then my period comes! It's rather remarkable that it's such a consistent problem.

I decided that if I am careful for the rest of the week after 2 or 3 TOM hungry days, it won't hurt me. I try not to feel bad about the extra eating!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    "aunt flo" ew, such a terrible moniker for it
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I crave sweet and salty. In high school, I would get Macdonalds French fries and ice cream the day before it started.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I just allow for it and eat lots of carbs (within reason anyway). If I don't I turn into a monster and no one wants that so I just do whatever I have to do to get by.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Yep, and after 4 rounds of TOM since joining, and listening and trying all kinds of advice, (Which just doesn't seem to work for me) I just don't bother anymore. I just eat stuff. As long as I stay below maintenance, I'm good. For some odd reason, this month wasn't a problem with cravings.