How Do I Beat the Evening Munchies?

Options
I just looked at my diary entries over the past few weeks and I got a slap in the face. I realize I am still struggling with two things that I am afraid will sabatoge my efforts. When I log my excercise, I eat more snack and sugary foods. I don't believe in "bad" foods, but it's more than an occassional treat. It's consistent. It's that mindset of thinking that because I excercised and can afford the calories. And during the day I do pretty well, but in the evening (after 6pm) I still overeat. I want to get a handle on this.

I was thinking about not logging my activity. But what about the sugar and snack cravings? I don't know how to beat those evening munchies.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I munch in the evenings...a cadbury chocolate bar and a diet coke every night...or chocolate covered almonds...

Am I giving it up...nope.

You can afford them so why not enjoy them. Just stay in goal...
  • smithcentral
    smithcentral Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I see your point. I'm still losing, but in my mind I still struggle with that fear of gaining, because it always seemed like I'd do well for awhile, and fall off the wagon. This is the first time I'm actually losing weight in over 10 years. Don't want to fail again.
  • sjd1974
    sjd1974 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was SUPER hungry last night around 9:30. I grabbed a handful of blueberries (at the recommendation of a friend) and they took the hunger away (plus low in calories).
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Just work them into your calorie limit for the day or week.
  • sherrylwilson
    sherrylwilson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue with eating at night, but mine is more late night. I get up in the middle of the night to let the dogs out and I will catch myself eating without even thinking about it. I will do good all day and then mess up at night. It is always bad choices. I have thought putting a lock on the food cabinets at night!
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I always try to brush my teeth or have a piece of gum!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calories, it's fine. Just leave calories for them at the end of the day.
  • smithcentral
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Got some good ideas! Guess I just need to take a deep breath and keep it moving! (And logging...)
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with snacking in the evening too. Most of the time I'll try to eat lower calories & carbs during the workday (not starving myself though), then I'll save some calories for the inevitable snacks later in the evening. I know myself well enough to know that I won't be able to just cut them out, so I try to work them in. I do still end up over sometimes though. I don't stress out about it though, and just try to do better the next day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement. Got some good ideas! Guess I just need to take a deep breath and keep it moving! (And logging...)

This is about living life and losing weight..not stopping life to lose weight.

After the weight comes off are you going to continue to not snack at night...probably not...

It's important to keep stuff as "normal" as possible so that when you are at maitenance there isn't this big shift again back into "regular mode"...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calories and you're still losing, it's not a problem for weight loss. However, if you feel like it is a problem in terms of behavior, there's no reason not to work on that as well. When I find myself snacking, I have to take a "mental breath" and figure out if I am snacking because I'm actually hungry, or if it is due to stress/emotions/boredom. That part has been harder for me to tackle and was a big concern when I initially began to lose weight. I feel like I have a better handle on it now and even on those nights I do go over, I'm able to just let it go.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Just work them into your calorie limit for the day or week.

This^

Maintenance will be the same way.....I will make room for snacks.....but I must CONTROL my snacking.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm also really struggling with evening snacking this time around. In the past, I've always just kept some calories open and been fine, but now that I've quit smoking, if I start munching I flat out won't stop. I've actually found that for me, a fizzy drink and getting out of the house are working well.

When I start to get the after-dinner munchies, I add an ounce of PomWonderful to a glass of ice and seltzer water or diet sprite and head out to the back porch to sit. I read a book, play on my phone, or whatever else sounds fun and relaxing. Once I finish my drink and come back in, if I'm STILL wanting a sweet treat, I will make myself wait then snag 2 or 3 cookies right before bed.
  • akolacz
    akolacz Posts: 13
    Options
    I make sure my dinner has a TON of protein. Sometime's i'll make myself egg whites or i'll make a half a cup of edamame beans. Keeps me full, and causes me to steer clear from the late night cravings :)
  • chezzabelle82
    chezzabelle82 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I find water melon or honey dew melon is a great for evening snacking and stops the sweet cravings (works for me but might not for you but give it a try ????)
  • smithcentral
    Options
    I agree about the "mental breath". One of my issues used to be mindless eating in the evening. Logging is actually helping me recover from that.
  • cruz95060
    cruz95060 Posts: 3
    Options
    Excellent Idea - Both for the teeth and the waist
  • Pinkgirl319
    Pinkgirl319 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have also found that going outside helps curb evening munchies. If it's gross outside than go in a different room. Switch to a different activity. I like to do my nails while I watch tv or play on my phone so my hands are busy and unable to reach in a chip bag.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    How about have a really filling dinner earlier- around 5pm is when we eat dinner. Then choose some snacks- banana for example is healthy and filling and have them at night. Just save some calories for night :) It would be good to plan what snacks you'll be having- nothing wrong with some bad things each day just make sure you eat a lot more healthy food to cover it, and if you keep overeating- you could up your calories a bit, enough to lose something but still enough to eat so you don't overdo it. Also, maybe since exercise makes you hungry, you could change the exercise you do or do it a bit less, or change the time you do it? Anyway, if you eat things like chicken, eggs, wholemeal bread that should help fill you up. Fruit and nut mixes are great too. Keep going, you're trying and that is what matters.

PS. one of my favourite treats which takes quite a few calories but is filling too is peanut butter on wholemeal toast!

PS I'm also a snacker too and the temptation can be hard, but stick with it, sometimes some things have to be eaten the next day instead of today, so maybe that bottle of coke you see, you could look forward to having tomorrow. It's all about retraining the brain and does get easier.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Magnum mini ice cream bars. They are 150 calories but still real ice cream. If you eat them slow and really focus on your food it feels like you had a full size one. I find they are great for meeting that urge for something rich and sweet without going overboard like a trip to Coldstone.