1200 calorie daily allowance and feeling hungry :(

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    See, this is what I am dealing with. I have 60 pounds to go, and I am set at 1200 calories per day through the MFP calculator. I'm hungry a LOT. Sadly, after my week of 1200 and doing 4 cardio sessions, I gained 2 pounds. I am not sure I understand what in the world I am doing wrong. This is my first time tracking food as well.

Re: 2 pounds......how many days (1 week?) have you been 2 pounds heavier? Short time ......could easily be water weight, TOM, etc. Don't stress over 1 weigh in.

Is the 1200 gross or net? If you are eating calories back (1200 net) ....how are you calculating calorie burns? MFP guestimates are generous....just eat 50-75% back. Because 1200 is already low you want to eat calories back to get to your original deficit. Too much deficit does not allow your body to support lean muscle. This means you lose fat+muscle.

You weight loss goal should fall somewhere in here......

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    1200 calories?!?! Exercise more so you can eat. Take a jog before you eat, talk a walk after you eat. Be active.

I think I'm pretty active already. I do an hr of cardio 4-5x a week. But with my current diet I haven't been losing weight which is why I joined MFP to try to keep track of my calories =/

Could you do us all a favor? Open your diary, and tell us what you entered when you set up your MFP goals? We are all trying to help you find the "magic number" that will help you lose weight, but it's hard to do without knowing the numbers or seeing what you are eating.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    1200 calories?!?! Exercise more so you can eat. Take a jog before you eat, talk a walk after you eat. Be active.

I think I'm pretty active already. I do an hr of cardio 4-5x a week. But with my current diet I haven't been losing weight which is why I joined MFP to try to keep track of my calories =/

You do realize that MFP's caloric goals are net, not total, calories ... right?

wouldn't my daily deficit be super low then? it would take so long to lose 1lb..

What is your weekly loss goal?
    What is your current weight?
    What did you set as your activity level?
    Do you eat your exercise calories?

Everything you've posted indicates that you've set things too low. Without going back to the beginning there is no chance of providing you with informed posts.
  • kgeyser
    Options
    Egg whites, steamed broccoli, and air popped popcorn are all super filling and low calorie!
    You can have a HUGE salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, reduced fat feta cheese, and a tiny bit of chicken and stay very low calorie.
    125 calorie PB&J's are also the greatest thing ever. 35 calorie bread, 2tbsp PB2 (powdered peanut butter), and 1tbsp sugar free jelly make for a filling yummy lunch! :)

thank you! this is helpful!

Eating virtually no fat and limiting your protein is not a good idea. Your body needs dietary fat and the protein helps retain muscle mass.
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Clean Whole food. An example is mesquite bbq chicken breast from daily chef that I get at same. One breast is 110 calories packed with protein to keep you full.

So I guess opt for whole grain, and proteins. anything with milk helps keep me full
  • rainman253
    Options
    This. Do this. I went from 1900 cals/day to 2700 cals of allowance and made it over my plateau.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • hiphopbunnie
    Options
    Clean Whole food. An example is mesquite bbq chicken breast from daily chef that I get at same. One breast is 110 calories packed with protein to keep you full.

So I guess opt for whole grain, and proteins. anything with milk helps keep me full

thank you!
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options

wouldn't my daily deficit be super low then? it would take so long to lose 1lb..

Ahh, I see now. You just want the quickest way. Just know that the longer you eat under your BMR, the more damage you're doing to your metabolism. That means longer-term effects and more work down the road trying to reset your metabolism. If you only have 8 lbs to lose, you really should consider these things (everyone should, really, but especially the closer you get to goal weight).

Consider strength training instead of or in addition to the cardio. That is where you will see the most results in terms of body composition. I'm assuming you're losing weight because you're unhappy with your body comp, yeah?
  • hiphopbunnie
    Options

Everything you've posted indicates that you've set things too low. Without going back to the beginning there is no chance of providing you with informed posts.

Here is what I set..

weekly loss goal: 2lbs
    current weight: 118 lbs
    activity level: i set this as sedentary because aside from my workouts I'm not especially active, I sit at the computer most of the time.
    do you eat your exercise calories: new to the dieting, so no. i've just been going by this 1200 calorie limit that was calculated for me by MFP
  • makeitnasty184
    makeitnasty184 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    A lot of what people who posted before me stands true, you need to manually adjust your daily goals on MFP to make sure it gives you an accurate calorie allowance. And also remember that counting calories isn't the most effective way to lose weight.

Also true: lots of protein and veggies and cut out carbs, even complex ones. You will be hungry in 2 hours every time you eat them. One thing I haven't seen on this thread yet is that you need to get a fair amount of healthy fats from high quality sources. The reason being is that they are so densely nutritious for you that you will stay fuller longer off of less, 1 gram of fat has 9 calories, carbs are 1 gram to every 4. You would need to eat twice as many carbs as fats to get the same amount of calories and the carbs won't keep you full even half as long as healthy fats will. If you were to eat 2 eggs and a real meat sausage patty or a slice or two of bacon you would likely make it to lunch without ever feeling hungry, if you ate a bowl of special K you will be sucking down donuts in the breakroom in 1.5 hours or less. Put a tablespoon of butter on all those veggies you're going to be eating at lunch time and you will breeze into dinner time without batting an eye. Eat high quality protein: free range chicken, grass fed beef, wild caught fish like salmon. Cheese and nuts are a must for snack time, just make sure you portion out or you could consume too much fat.

It seems really counterintuitive that eating fat will help you lose weight, but all of the low-cal/low-fat processed options (low cal spreads, dairy, crackers) are as bad for you as smoking cigarettes and even though they don't add calories to your macros, they wreak havoc on your body as a result of all the processing that needs to occur to take the calories out. Plus, no calories means it isn't really nourishing you at all. You're better off doing breathanarianism (look it up, a bunch of crazies who think they can nourish their bodies on fresh air and sunshine) than eating that junk.

I recommend the book Eat Like a Fatass Look Like A Goddess. It won't work for vegans, but I've been eating following the guidelines of that book and I've lost over 25 pounds (about 1-1.5lbs a week) in 5 months. It basically busts all the myths most people hold true about foods and what is actually healthy. Essentially, butter, whole fat dairy, meat (all kinds, even bacon), fat, tallow and lard (from high quality sources) are very healthy for you and your body actually thrives when your diet includes those sources of fat and protein
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Novel ahead...

I'm pretty light and maintain my weight on non-exercise days at around 1500 calories, so for me to lose weight (and nowhere near 2lbs/week...we're talking half a pound a week here) I couldn't go over 1200 calories unless I hit the gym (which gave me a couple hundred extra at most for my usual 5K run.) I'm 5'4" as well and have an office job. If you can devote more time to exercise, you can eat more, but if you're like me and fairly light and inactive already, 1200/day can be a reality that the majority of (heavier or more active) posters here don't understand.

That said...when I was losing, I ate mainly vegetables and lean protein for every meal. It wasn't exciting, but I wasn't often hungry and I had plenty of energy. I had to almost eliminate sauces and cooking oils in favour of baked/poached/etc methods of cooking. I used a lot of vinegars and mustard and hot sauce for flavour, as well as fresh herbs and lots of other spices. I ate a lot of fish, lean 6oz steaks, and chicken breasts, and I had things like eggs or yogurt with chia and hemp hearts for breakfast. I made massive salads and dressed them with vinegar or citrus. I weighed absolutely everything and portioned my calorie-dense foods (nuts and nut butters, any oils I did eat, etc) VERY carefully. I eliminated beverages with calories and stuck to black coffee, teas, and water. And I wasn't tired and I didn't lose much muscle mass at all.

There is no reason you can't be satisfied and well-nourished on a 1200 calorie a day diet if you're fairly small and not super active and if you are very, very careful to get the right proportion of macro and micro nutrients in your diet. It requires a lot of work and it's not for everyone, obviously, but it can be done and done healthfully.

I'm kind of tired of everyone freaking out every time the 1200 number comes up. I understand that 1200/day in white bread, chocolate, and Dr. Pepper is a terrible idea, yes. But with careful attention to nutrients, it doesn't have to be awful. And yes, I know that if I worked out more, I could eat more, but all I was/am willing to make time for is a half-hour run a few times a week and a couple short-ish strength training sessions, and so for me it was well worth the trade-off to eat a little less and not have to spend every waking moment in the gym.

I still feel the same way. I value my leisure time, get a moderate amount of exercise, and happily maintain my weight at about 1500 calories/day without a struggle. I have visible muscle tone and a low body fat percentage, I'm not skinnyfat, and I continue to find that as long as I eat a lot of vegetables and less-processed foods generally (although I do have the occasional restaurant meal/baked good/beer) I am not hungry. I'm jealous of my boyfriend, who's 50 pounds of muscle heavier and loves the gym, because he can put away 3000/day without gaining, but unless I put a ton of effort into building a lot of muscle and spend way more time exercising, I just can't get close to that at my size.

YMMV, of course, but I wanted to offer another perspective.
  • budobo
    budobo Posts: 38
    Options
    I almost always eat 1500-1800 calories a day but exercise off 200-350 of them, which keeps me at my 1200-1400 cal/day goal.

My tips are filling, high-protein egg white breakfasts (I add chicken sausage and spinach) that keep me from snacking before lunch. Then, my lunch, snack, and dinner are all within 2.5 hours of each other which usually keeps me from getting hungry. If I do get particularly hungry I have a protein shake which us 170 cal but VERY filling.
    If you were to eat 2 eggs and a real meat sausage patty or a slice or two of bacon you would likely make it to lunch without ever feeling hungry, if you ate a bowl of special K you will be sucking down donuts in the breakroom in 1.5 hours or less.

^ This
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I am also at 1200 a day. And yes, I get hungry, even drinking enough water to drown a whale.

I had to make up my mind that my body was used to over 4000 calories and this 1200 calorie change was going to mean being hungry. I have to live with that and learn to deal with it until my body is used to the smaller amount of calories.

I just tell myself that the hunger pains mean my body is burning fat stores. May not be true but I'll bull**** myself if it means I'll stick to my plan. :bigsmile:
  • kgeyser
    Options

Here is what I set..

weekly loss goal: 2lbs
    current weight: 118 lbs
    activity level: i set this as sedentary because aside from my workouts I'm not especially active, I sit at the computer most of the time.
    do you eat your exercise calories: new to the dieting, so no. i've just been going by this 1200 calorie limit that was calculated for me by MFP

Your weekly loss should be set at 1/2 lb. MFP gave you 1200 because you set it at 2 lbs and sedentary. That is a 1000 calorie deficit per day, way too much for someone with 8 lbs to lose. You are probably also not sedentary, but it's fine to start there and tweak.

Set MFP for 1/2 lb per week loss.
    Eat your calorie goal.
    Eat back a portion of your exercise calories.
    Drink water.
    Add some strength training.
    Read this link.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    See, this is what I am dealing with. I have 60 pounds to go, and I am set at 1200 calories per day through the MFP calculator. I'm hungry a LOT. Sadly, after my week of 1200 and doing 4 cardio sessions, I gained 2 pounds. I am not sure I understand what in the world I am doing wrong. This is my first time tracking food as well.

Most likely, that's water weight. Happens all the time when you start new exercise or increase in intensity. Not uncommon to retain up to 5 lbs of water, which will mask any fat loss. Wait a week or three and it'll drop off. Then you'll see how much you've actually lost. General recommendation is not to weigh yourself for several weeks after starting new exercise for this reason - it discourages people who don't expect the gain.

Seriously, if you have 60 lbs. to lose, there is no way you need to be eating 1200 calories to lose weight. At 40 yrs old, 5'3", 123 lbs, and sedentary, I'd lose weight at 1200 cals. And be honest. How long do you think you will want to stay at 1200 cals if you're hungry all the time? Please take the long view, decrease your deficit, and let yourself eat more. Eat back your exercise. MFP and exercise machines are notorious for overestimating how much you have to eat back. Compensate for that by eating back 50% of their recommendation and you'll be fine. You'll be more likely to stick with it this way.

If you try this and still feel hungry all of the time, then examine what you're eating and start going for more satiating foods. Usually higher protein and fat, less carbs will help. I'm not talking low carb or no carb - 40-50% of your diet seems to be a popular target.
  • jcallejabjj
    Options
    I'm on 1,200 calories right to drop weight for a jiu jitsu tournament. I snack on celery and drink water when I start to feel hungry. It's tough fighting the urge.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Look for 0 calorie butter substitutes, sugar free preserves and snacks with lower calorie amounts.

Larger portions of veg

break it up into more meals per day

That 1 tablespoon of butter is twice as many calories as a big bowl of veg

When you start to get lower needs in your weight loss and increase your calories reintroduce the fats

Really envious of all you lot that get to eat more calories hehehe Ive been around 1200 cal for close to a year ( LOVE big work out days for that eat back! lol )

Please, please, please ignore most of the above. Fats are a necessary macro. Just eat real food, not 0 calorie food substitutes. Food. Nutrient dense foods are nutritious and filling. By avoiding them you will not feel full, not feel healthy and likely your weight loss will get very slow.

Contrary to this post you might actually find a diet higher in fat (and lower in carbs, moderate protein) far more helpful that trying to eat no fat, and by default, a bunch of carbs/sugar.

OMG, let's stop the fat phobia already! Oh, and the "fill up on water" silliness too! Drink what you need, no more, no less and eat food. Move your body, get sleep, enjoy life.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I find 1200cals too low, I end up so hungry so I've set my goal to 1400 and I promise you that if you up it a little you'll still lose weight. Also on days I've exercised I've had anything between 1400-2000cals and I've still lost weight.
  • BreeJaxon
    BreeJaxon Posts: 128
    Options
    Eat more!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, steamed broccoli, and air popped popcorn are all super filling and low calorie!
    You can have a HUGE salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, reduced fat feta cheese, and a tiny bit of chicken and stay very low calorie.
    125 calorie PB&J's are also the greatest thing ever. 35 calorie bread, 2tbsp PB2 (powdered peanut butter), and 1tbsp sugar free jelly make for a filling yummy lunch! :)

Your 125 calorie PB&J makes me sad. My PB&J sammiches are beasts, frequently 500 calories minimum--more if I decide I'm going to grill it.