Afraid of Success?

Options
Does anyone else feel nervous about ACTUALLY achieving the goals they have set? I keep seeing my body change and although I am thrilled with it, I am also scared! I have been overweight most of my adult life and having this new, fit body to walk around in is like walking into completely uncharted territory...

How do you guys deal with these feelings? Do you even get these feelings? Maybe I'm nuts, I'm just so excited that I'm making progress but I guess I'm afraid of messing it up or getting off track?

Thoughts?

Replies

• JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I´m only 4kg away from my final weight goal and the big question is "Will I start gaining weight again as soon as I´m done losing? Will I overeat again? Get back in my comfort zone, get lazy with sports...." So I´m basically afraid of jojoing around again as I did for so many years... I made several times clear to myself, that I will always have to track what I eat if I want to stay healty. I don´t have the awareness or discipline to maintain otherwise...

Anyway: I set myself a new goal that ensures to keep the great results of my current one. I almost made it from fat to healthy. My new goal is to make it from healthy to fit. I applied for two runs in September. So now I have 100 days to get fit enaugh to not embarrass myself.

So my tip is. Set yourself a new goal and when you have reached that goal set another one and so on and so on.... Never stop having goals.
  • mvedwards87
    Options
    So my tip is. Set yourself a new goal and when you have reached that goal set another one and so on and so on.... Never stop having goals.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense :)
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    My biggest fear is reaching my goal weight and still hating my body. I've had three children and I know that I'll never have my 20-something body again. However, I have no idea what the 40-something body is going to look like at goal, and I'm terrified.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you mean. In fact, I think sometimes I sabotage my efforts a little bit because I'm scared of "getting there" and then failing, so if I don't ever "get there" I won't fail. However, I'm almost there and now that I've lost about 30 and kept it off and started weight training, I'm not so scared anymore. I would still like to drop another 15 to 20 and have faith that I will. But the difference 30 lbs have made are amazing. I feel great and my clothes are actually too big and shirts I've been saving because they almost fit, fit great now and some are even too big and that feeling is so much greater than worrying about failing. So embrace your fear, know it is there, but conquer it also.
  • Cookie_4
    Cookie_4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm afraid of succeeding (still figuring it out) but I do seem to sabotage myself when I get to a certain weight. I'm with you when you say you like seeing the positive physical changes while being nervous at the same time. Like others, what if I still don't like what I see once I reach my goal? If you ever figure it out, please let me know :smile:

Congrats on all your positive changes!