Upping calories to stay on the wagon?

Options
I'm 5"9 and currently weigh about 175lbs. 2 years ago I managed to lose weight by being incredibly strict mid week (thanks to a disciplined housemate) and despite not tracking and blowing out massively at the weekend I managed to lose around 14lbs.

Last year I put it all back on thanks to two gluttonous holidays. Other than that I've been maintaining the higher weight just no loss. At least twice a month I think right diet time! Limit myself to 1200 calories, do this religiously for a week, lose a couple of pounds and then hit a wall and binge eat, stuff myself for a week and start again.

I'm thinking about trying setting my calories a bit higher, around 1600 calories, in the hope I won't feel deprived and do the binge week. Has anyone else had success using this method? It might be slower but I'm thinking more effective in the long run?

Thoughts appreciated!

Before exercise is mentioned I do try, I'll go to the gym and run on incline (trying to build in weights but my muscles are pathetic - I don't even think my core exists) and walk etc but again it's fairly sporadic. I just don't really enjoy exercise! Must try harder...

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Thinking "diet time" is your biggest mistake. Start thinking this is my life and I need to do this to feel good. 1600 sounds like a much better number and don't give up on exercise. I hate going to a gym. Find something you love to do. (walking, swimming, or just exploring your town on foot)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had success using the correct method of mild caloric deficit rather than self-imposed starvation and self-hate?

Yeah. Currently losing 1.4 pounds a week at 2200 calories per day.
  • lauren_jb
    lauren_jb Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had success using the correct method of mild caloric deficit rather than self-imposed starvation and self-hate?

Ha fair point.
  • taramaclaren
    taramaclaren Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Calorie cycle! It is basically what you were doing before but with a bit more planning. :) Say you want to average 1600/day... you can have 2 days of high eating at 2000, a few days of low eating at 1200, and a few days right at 1600. That means you can indulge, but not all of the time. You are planning in days of satiation, and that will help make the lower days much more manageable.

Focus on your weekly calorie allowance rather than daily, and overall you can find yourself in a better, MUCH more sustainable place.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Calorie cycle! It is basically what you were doing before but with a bit more planning. :) Say you want to average 1600/day... you can have 2 days of high eating at 2000, a few days of low eating at 1200, and a few days right at 1600. That means you can indulge, but not all of the time. You are planning in days of satiation, and that will help make the lower days much more manageable.

Focus on your weekly calorie allowance rather than daily, and overall you can find yourself in a better, MUCH more sustainable place.

This is what I generally do.. I have high days, low days but average around 1500-1600 per day over all. Have dropped from a size 20 to a 14 (US sizes) in 4 months.. seems to be working for me :)
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't what you want to hear, but exercise should be your main focus. I take classes at my gym which really helps kill the boredom. It's better to eat more and exercise, then eat less without it. Of course there's a limit to how much you should eat. :)
    Just make sure to eat healthy things when increasing your calories.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 155lbs. I lose half a pound a week netting 2000 calories a day. 1200 is REALLY low for some one our size.
  • lauren_jb
    lauren_jb Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A deficit on 2000 is interesting, out of curiosity I'd like to know my actual number as I am very sedentary so unlikely to be that high. But could explain why I'm not a gazillion pounds when I eat the same size meals as my 6ft 2 active boyfriend!

I'm trying to consider exercise as a bonus to calorie counting as I'm so inconsistent. Like if I do it, fabulous but if I don't it's not going to hurt too much!

Calorie cycle sounds interesting I might give that a go. Like a really toned down 5:2 ....

Thanks!
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Check out the eat more to weigh less... Really designed for heavy lifting people, but still a good read.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I set up my account with a goal of losing 1 lb per week. Because I set up my account as "lightly active" and my fitbit records my daily activity as being even higher than that (and gives me an "adjustment" to my calorie goal in MFP), I pretty regularly eat 2,000-2,200 calories a day and am still losing a pound to two pounds a week.

I was feeling so awesome about my success that I changed my goal to 1.5 lbs per week. Suddenly, it wasn't fun anymore, it felt like deprivation, and I was having trouble meeting my new goal. I went right back to the 1 lb/week goal and haven't really looked back. I feel so satisfied and happy!

So I would recommend two things:

1. Up your calories. I totally think it might help you stay on the wagon.

2. Buy a fitbit. I was like you -- I hated the whole experience of "working out" and so any exercise I did was totally sporadic. I bought the fitbit and LOVED it because it motivated me to be more active without "working out." It gave me credit for all the activity I was doing in my everyday life, so if I was tired at the end of a long day, I could see how much I'd been active and know that I wasn't being "lazy" if I chose to take a rest instead of exercise. Plus, it automatically gave me bonus calories for the activity I was doing -- so it was easy to go for a quick walk and see my calorie allotment increase as a result of a little bit of effort. Indulging in favorite foods as a result of your activity is it's own reward! And so after a few weeks of using it, I started Couch25k and some light weight training and I actually enjoy "working out" for once in my life.
  • taramaclaren
    taramaclaren Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't what you want to hear, but exercise should be your main focus. I take classes at my gym which really helps kill the boredom. It's better to eat more and exercise, then eat less without it. Of course there's a limit to how much you should eat. :)

With respect - this is 100% incorrect information.

From a health perspective, yes, exercise is definitely very important to maintain bone density, increase LBM, and for cardiovascular health.

However, as OP's main goal is to lose weight, then she needs to focus mostly on diet. To lose weight, one needs to eat in a deficit. You can fancy it up with TDEE, HIIT, paleo, Shaun T etc, but at the end of the day... diet the most important factor in weight loss. You can't out work a crap diet.

PS - I just realized you may be talking about exercise helping fuel the momentum to continue eating well. If that is the case, my apologies and I agree. It is definitely a tool to be used to help, but diet is the main driving factor. :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    A deficit on 2000 is interesting, out of curiosity I'd like to know my actual number as I am very sedentary so unlikely to be that high. But could explain why I'm not a gazillion pounds when I eat the same size meals as my 6ft 2 active boyfriend!

I'm trying to consider exercise as a bonus to calorie counting as I'm so inconsistent. Like if I do it, fabulous but if I don't it's not going to hurt too much!

Calorie cycle sounds interesting I might give that a go. Like a really toned down 5:2 ....

Thanks!

Maintaining at 2000 calories is really not that much of a stretch. People tend to way underestimate what they are eating so 2000 calories may sound like a lot but it really isn't.

Currently I would estimate that I maintain at around 2,900.

Can give this calculator a try.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

According to it I maintain around 3100 to 3300 which seems a little high to me.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

Yes, that's how did it. Mild calorie deficit. Went from 136 to 103 and have stayed there for a year and a half. When I hit maintenance, I gradually up the calories until I hit on the number that kept my weight in a target range. Not so hard.
  • Pectinbean
    Pectinbean Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Up your cals and up your exercise. I set myself at 2lbs a week (1200cals) as I, somewhat dim-wittedly, thought this would make me lose my belly weight quickly. After realising I felt hungry and snarky, and reading stuff on here about how to lose weight / inches effectively, I changed to losing 0.5lbs a week (1570cals). With exercise I'm 1800 to 2100 cals a day and MUCH happier. I've now lost 4lbs in 4 weeks. 1200 cals will make you miserable, change it and be happy.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Up your cals and up your exercise. I set myself at 2lbs a week (1200cals) as I, somewhat dim-wittedly, thought this would make me lose my belly weight quickly. After realising I felt hungry and snarky, and reading stuff on here about how to lose weight / inches effectively, I changed to losing 0.5lbs a week (1570cals). With exercise I'm 1800 to 2100 cals a day and MUCH happier. I've now lost 4lbs in 4 weeks. 1200 cals will make you miserable, change it and be happy.

This
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

With respect - this is 100% incorrect information.

From a health perspective, yes, exercise is definitely very important to maintain bone density, increase LBM, and for cardiovascular health.

However, as OP's main goal is to lose weight, then she needs to focus mostly on diet. To lose weight, one needs to eat in a deficit. You can fancy it up with TDEE, HIIT, paleo, Shaun T etc, but at the end of the day... diet the most important factor in weight loss. You can't out work a crap diet.

PS - I just realized you may be talking about exercise helping fuel the momentum to continue eating well. If that is the case, my apologies and I agree. It is definitely a tool to be used to help, but diet is the main driving factor. :)

Don't worry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that she should ignore her dieting. I just meant that eating 1200 calories and considering that a substitute for exercise isn't good. It's good to have both exercise and diet! Exercise helps you keep the weight off with a better metabolism and diet helps gives you the strength to exercise and lose weight.