Weight Loss Plateau

Options
Hey guys,
Thanks to some awesome advice from some really helpful members of this community - I think I've just taken another step into the right direction. After the gym this morning, I spent some time re-evaluating how many calories I have been taking in.

Contrary to belief, I always believed that if I was to cut my meals down to practically nothing, it would work. I have since found that my body has plateaued and I stopped losing weight. For the past two months, I've been going back and forth between 80-85KG when my goal weight is 70.

After some research and reading what a lot of members on this site were saying, I believe my body went into starvation mode considering I was only providing it with around 1200 calories daily. I have read around and have found calculated this information:

Being 5ft 4 inches tall, 20 years old - Male, who exercises 6 times a week. (Cardio and weight lifting)
- I am required to eat: 2811 calories a day to maintain my weight
- I am required to eat 1750 calories a day to lose weight.

I will be raising my caloric intake you that 1750 as of today. I'm just curious to know if this could be the reason that I have stopped losing weight? Let me know if I'm on the right track as I want to do this the right way.

All feedback is appreciated.
Thank you!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    don't just boost your calories make sure you are logging accurately..check the usda website if you have to.

You have you deficit for 2lbs a week that is too agressive...go for 1lb a week which is 2300 calories a day.

ETA: starvation mode as used frequently is a myth.

yes your body will adapt to low calories...but that takes a while for that to happen.

Although too low food, to high exercise can stress your body causing water retention.
  • TheLoneButler
    TheLoneButler Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I shall change my deficit to 1lb a week.
    I am investing in a kitchen scale today, so I will be able to weigh my foods and everything a lot better.
    I appreciate the feed back!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    don't just boost your calories make sure you are logging accurately..check the usda website if you have to.

You have you deficit for 2lbs a week that is too agressive...go for 1lb a week which is 2300 calories a day.

yes your body will adapt to low calories...but that takes a while for that to happen.

Although too low food, to high exercise can stress your body causing water retention.

this
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this on a calorie cycle thread and I found it to be very helpful. I'm not sure who these authors are as I didn't find the original post, but I found a lot of the information on calorie cycling to be true for me.

Cycling my calories did help me break through a 6 week plateau. I can't tell you if this was merely coincidental timing and I was long overdue a whoosh from prolonged water retention, but cycling through intermittent fasting was what got the scale moving again for me (though my calorie deficits on a weekly basis were almost identical).

3 Nutrition Tricks that Target Your Trouble Spots
    by Bruce and Janet Krahn
    Trouble Spot Training & Nutrition Experts

Trouble Spot Nutrition Trick #1: Cycle Your Calories
    (STOP eating the SAME amount of calories every day)
    It's no secret that in order to lose fat your body needs to be in a calorie deficit each day (burning off more calories than you're consuming).
    Conversely, in order to build muscle your body requires a calorie surplus (taking in more than you're burning off).
    However, eating the same amount of calories day in and day out when trying to lose fat can quickly result in adaptations, making it impossible to lose weight... OR gain muscle.
    The solution is to "cycle" your calories. For example:
    - Weight Training Days = Calorie Surplus (12-15 x Lean Body Mass)
    - Interval or Diet Days = Calorie Deficit (8-10 x Lean Body Mass)
    This will keep your thyroid activity (T4-T3 conversion) efficient and leptin sensitivity high - all while helping you maintain the proper estrogen to testosterone ratio necessary for fat loss and muscle gains.

Trouble Spot Nutrition Trick #2: Cycle Your Macronutrients
    (STOP eating the SAME amount of carbs, proteins, and fat every day)
    All calories are NOT created equal.
    Proteins, fats and carbs are all metabolized differently by the body and each produces a unique hormonal response...
    ... Especially when it comes to the hormone insulin.
    IMPORTANT: Some people are more "sensitive" to the actions of insulin, while some are more "resistant".
    If you have stubborn fat areas or trouble spots that won't budge no matter how hard you try, you are likely insulin resistant, which means you would benefit greatly from replacing your "healthy" carbs such as rice and potatoes with healthy fats.
    When this is done the right way it can make your body become more insulin sensitive, resulting in greater fat loss and more lean, calorie burning muscle - especially in stubborn body parts.

Trouble Spot Nutrition Trick #3: Cycle Your Food Choices
    (STOP eating the SAME types of foods every day)
    Food allergies are extremely common these days.
    Eating foods which you are allergic to can increase levels of inflammation causing your adrenal glands to secrete more cortisol.
    This in turn increases insulin and blood sugar levels causing your body to hold on to and deposit fat, rather than allowing you to access your stubborn fat for energy.
    The best way for you to avoid developing food allergies is to rotate your food selections.
    A few tips that will help is to avoid eating the same types of proteins back-to-back, while reducing or eliminating wheat and dairy - the two most common food allergens.

adding link:
    http://www.answerfitness.com/316/zig-zag-dieting-fitness-nerd/
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Someone posted this on a calorie cycle thread and I found it to be very helpful. I'm not sure who these authors are as I didn't find the original post, but I found a lot of the information on calorie cycling to be true for me.

Cycling my calories did help me break through a 6 week plateau. I can't tell you if this was merely coincidental timing and I was long overdue a whoosh from prolonged water retention, but cycling through intermittent fasting was what got the scale moving again for me (though my calorie deficits on a weekly basis were almost identical).

3 Nutrition Tricks that Target Your Trouble Spots
    by Bruce and Janet Krahn
    Trouble Spot Training & Nutrition Experts

Trouble Spot Nutrition Trick #1: Cycle Your Calories
    (STOP eating the SAME amount of calories every day)
    It's no secret that in order to lose fat your body needs to be in a calorie deficit each day (burning off more calories than you're consuming).
    Conversely, in order to build muscle your body requires a calorie surplus (taking in more than you're burning off).
    However, eating the same amount of calories day in and day out when trying to lose fat can quickly result in adaptations, making it impossible to lose weight... OR gain muscle.
    The solution is to "cycle" your calories. For example:
    - Weight Training Days = Calorie Surplus (12-15 x Lean Body Mass)
    - Interval or Diet Days = Calorie Deficit (8-10 x Lean Body Mass)
    This will keep your thyroid activity (T4-T3 conversion) efficient and leptin sensitivity high - all while helping you maintain the proper estrogen to testosterone ratio necessary for fat loss and muscle gains.

Trouble Spot Nutrition Trick #2: Cycle Your Macronutrients
    (STOP eating the SAME amount of carbs, proteins, and fat every day)
    All calories are NOT created equal.
    Proteins, fats and carbs are all metabolized differently by the body and each produces a unique hormonal response...
    ... Especially when it comes to the hormone insulin.
    IMPORTANT: Some people are more "sensitive" to the actions of insulin, while some are more "resistant".
    If you have stubborn fat areas or trouble spots that won't budge no matter how hard you try, you are likely insulin resistant, which means you would benefit greatly from replacing your "healthy" carbs such as rice and potatoes with healthy fats.
    When this is done the right way it can make your body become more insulin sensitive, resulting in greater fat loss and more lean, calorie burning muscle - especially in stubborn body parts.

Trouble Spot Nutrition Trick #3: Cycle Your Food Choices
    (STOP eating the SAME types of foods every day)
    Food allergies are extremely common these days.
    Eating foods which you are allergic to can increase levels of inflammation causing your adrenal glands to secrete more cortisol.
    This in turn increases insulin and blood sugar levels causing your body to hold on to and deposit fat, rather than allowing you to access your stubborn fat for energy.
    The best way for you to avoid developing food allergies is to rotate your food selections.
    A few tips that will help is to avoid eating the same types of proteins back-to-back, while reducing or eliminating wheat and dairy - the two most common food allergens.

adding link:
    http://www.answerfitness.com/316/zig-zag-dieting-fitness-nerd/
    I'd love peer reviewed cites for the above.

Who the heck is the fitness nerd? :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

This is spot on.