Tips for Lowering Sodium intake?

Options
2»

Replies

• mersh24
    mersh24 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to limit sodium at this point in time to between 1500 and 2000 mg. I do have to limit anything prepackaged or fast food to almost none. I don't add table salt to ANYthing anymore, only pepper, and no soy sauce when I prepare food myself. The 3 "flavorings" that have saved my taste buds from boredom are:

~Bragg's Liquid Aminos (similar to soy sauce flavor, but I also put a few sprays on my spinach salad or whatever else needs a little "salt" or "savory" taste)
    ~Bragg's Nutritional Yeast (is kind of like a cheesy, yummy flavoring - awesome on baked potato, broccoli, cauliflower, popcorn, and you can make a "cheese" sauce out of it with some milk) (Added benefits of this is protein and B vitamins!)
    ~Bragg's Sprinkles (has 24 herbs and spices which takes the guess work out of what to put on veggies, meats, etc. - Mrs. Dash flavorings are also great!)

I get these at my local grocery store. Good luck!! I am trying and for the most part can do a lower sodium intake, but I also figure it is probably the one thing that you can "flush" out with drinking a lot of water, so I don't freak out if I go over some.
  • sheschemes
    sheschemes Posts: 67
    Options
    If you're a sandwich person like me, it helps to bake chicken (or whatever meat) and slice it up instead of using deli meat. Little changes to your habits can really help.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    When trying to eliminate sodium from your diet, scan the ingredient list before eating or drinking anything. Any ingredient with “sodium” or “Na” -- the chemical name for sodium -- in its name contains the substance. Sodium might also be labeled as baking soda, baking powder, monosodium glutamate (MSG), disodium phosphate or salt.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to stay under MFP's recommendation of 2300 mg, but I'm finding it almost impossible. Most days I'm over 3,000 or 4,000.

Today is a good example. (My diary is open.) I almost made it today. I'm trying to keep sodium under 2300 mg and also consume around 155 grams of protein. And that's where the challenge comes in. I've been eating grilled chicken breast sandwiches and tuna sandwiches for lunch. They're good for protein, but run 700 to 1000 mg in sodium, using up around half the total sodium for the day. Am I just choosing the wrong foods? The chicken is from Tyson. I don't remember off hand who makes the tuna.

How do you keep protein up and sodium down at the same time?
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Avoid processed food. Be aware of hidden sodium. Cheese? I was shocked at the sodium! Canned foods, frozen food, lunch meats, hummus. :noway:
  • mersh24
    mersh24 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to stay under MFP's recommendation of 2300 mg, but I'm finding it almost impossible. Most days I'm over 3,000 or 4,000.

Today is a good example. (My diary is open.) I almost made it today. I'm trying to keep sodium under 2300 mg and also consume around 155 grams of protein. And that's where the challenge comes in. I've been eating grilled chicken breast sandwiches and tuna sandwiches for lunch. They're good for protein, but run 700 to 1000 mg in sodium, using up around half the total sodium for the day. Am I just choosing the wrong foods? The chicken is from Tyson. I don't remember off hand who makes the tuna.

It is a challenge to keep high protein without having high sodium! Many bread choices also have high sodium for your sandwiches. Would you be willing to try a higher protein grain source with your chicken/tuna like quinoa, amaranth, oatmeal, or brown rice - maybe make it into a salad with some leafy greens, spinach? Those have no or very little sodium but help get more protein. Then, also add some beans or legumes (rinsed or non-canned) and some sort of nuts or seeds (non-roasted and non-salted). I've been trying to treat meat as more of a flavoring to my other food, and I feel it is getting me going in the right direction for a little "cleaner" eating. I also do drink a couple of plant-based protein shakes with almond milk per day.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Eggs (and egg whites) are a great source of protein with minimal sodium. What type of chicken are you getting from Tyson? Fresh or frozen? If you're concerned about sodium from chicken, you may want to try organic chicken. Some manufacturers (I think Tyson is one of them) adds saltwater to their chicken to plump it up so it'll weigh more. Artificially plump chicken = artificially plump profits.

As for tuna... I don't think this has been a problem for me. Have you been making sure you get it packed in water? I know there are some that will pack it in brine which is salty, and some tuna I've seen is flavored (like ranch) so there is a ton of extra sodium from that.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Avoid processed foods as much as possible.

You can make or find lower sodium options for just about anything. Using your pasta sauce as an example... there are no salt added pasta sauces. They are absolutely bland and flavorless, but then you spice it up how you like it :) Its something like 15mg of sodium per 1/4 cup before adding anything to it.

You can water things down and use other flavorings. If I use broth powder, I always add at least double the water they call for and add things like onions and mushrooms. It comes out perfect when it has been simmering for a while.

Homemade is often the best option because you have complete control over the ingredients and can substitute things you want to avoid.... however its not always so easy for everyone to find that kind of time.

Food prep is a helpful thing. Cutting up fruits/veggies so they are ready to eat is a good way to avoid reaching for a sodium loaded processed snack.
    We always have celery cut up and in water... my husband also really like canteloup which lasts for quite a while all cut up in a container. Snow peas and baby carrots are great too. You have many options... these are just a few.

Experiment with different spices too. I'm sure you will find some fantastic combinations that you will adore. And if you really feel the need to indulge with some salt, I would go with sea salt..... real sea salt with the minerals still in it.

If you enjoy pasta and rice, those don't really have sodium. Its all in what you put on it.

And of course, there are unsalted options for many of our faves like nuts, seeds, etc.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Natural chicken has only minimal amounts of sodium. A plain 3-ounce roasted chicken breast provides just 65 milligrams of sodium – less than 3 percent of the maximum amount of sodium you can have in a day.

I would suggest examining your log entry selections or changing your food supplier. The chicken isn't high in sodium, but any form of processing can definitely add to the sodium levels.

Same applies for all foods. You may be consuming a lot less sodium than you think.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Less processed foods, to include canned/jarred commercial sauces and the like...this would also include deli meats/sandwich meats, processed meats like sausages, hotdogs, bacon...most commercial rotisserie chickens, etc. You don't have to worry so much about salting your own foods (unless you poor it on)...it's really all of the processed foods that get you.

It can be difficult to avoid processed foods altogether...especially those quick weeknight sauces and stuff...but when you can, look for lower sodium varieties and/or do some planning ahead of time and make and can your own.

I don't worry about it as much as I used to as I discovered that it made little difference in my blood pressure...I also got to the point where my sodium intake was so low that I was cramping up during workouts and having issues staying hydrated. If you workout regularly you're going to NEED more sodium than a sedentary individual would. I'm generally fine with anything from 1800 - 2500.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I know that sodium in the diet is essential for the normal function of our bodies. However, high excess sodium in the diet contributes to high blood pressure (which much of my family has).

I'm hoping by at least decreasing my intake (not eliminating it) that I'll avoid future health problems.

I"ll give making my own sauces a shot, I like cooking and it sounds like a good challenge, I'll have to pick up a food processor.

Thanks for the ideas guys. :)

If high blood pressure is in your family history, cutting out sodium now probably isn't going to help it. I have always tried to watch my sodium intact, exercise etc and in November my pressure was 205/169, when in my younger days I was always very low. Even now losing 40 lbs and eating generally better my pressure without my meds sits about 145/95 so I continue to take my meds. On my mom's side I think everyone has HBP.

I agree though, stay away from processed foods and especially processed meats.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options

Eggs (and egg whites) are a great source of protein with minimal sodium. What type of chicken are you getting from Tyson? Fresh or frozen? If you're concerned about sodium from chicken, you may want to try organic chicken. Some manufacturers (I think Tyson is one of them) adds saltwater to their chicken to plump it up so it'll weigh more. Artificially plump chicken = artificially plump profits.

As for tuna... I don't think this has been a problem for me. Have you been making sure you get it packed in water? I know there are some that will pack it in brine which is salty, and some tuna I've seen is flavored (like ranch) so there is a ton of extra sodium from that.

Thanks, you've given me some ideas. I've been buying Tyson's frozen chicken. After a quick check online, it looks like I can get 6 oz of fresh chicken breast at my store (Meijer) and reduce 600+ mg of sodium by 400 or 500 mg.

I'll check tuna labels again when I go back. The tuna I'm getting now is packed in water, but maybe there are better choices available.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    make all your own foods, stop eating processed packaged foods, eat mostly whole foods and don't add salt to anything :smile: