Meals that I can bring to/buy at work?

Options
I work at Walmart and have been eating subway pretty much the day I started working here a year ago. I recently decided to try and eat better so I'm trying to stay away from subway as much as possible because I don't think it will help me any.

What foods can I buy/bring to work that are healthy, tasty, and easy? (We have fridges and microwaves for food in the break room)
I can buy good during my lunch break or before I go to work if I need to. I walk about 12,000-14,000 steps most days so food that's low in bad fats, carbs, etc. would be great.

Thank you!

Replies

• HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I eat Hot Pockets...because easy.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If you want to buy something lo cal grab a salad or lean cuisine. You could make your lunch but honestly it's overrated. I take left overs if I take anything made
  • momsfavoritechild
    momsfavoritechild Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can I put my lunch up the night before. BUT-I do that because I"m not a morning person. On sundays I try to prepare some food items ahead of time.
    I don't eat breakfast first thing in the morning, so I bring something with me to eat at work midmorning. I usually find if I have some sort of protien items in the morning and for lunch it holds me over until supper. I like eggs for breakfast, someitmes I boil a few of them to last a couple of days, then I can just grab and go. Or, I mix them up in the morning and add veggies, cheese or some sort of meat and cook them in the microwave at work. I typically have a salad for lunch and add something for protien. My favorite salad is basic lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cukes, and then I add feta cheese, olives, avacado and something for a meat. I always bring a fresh fruit. Cheese sticks are also a great snack. I always find if I don't bring my lunch to work I end up making bad choices, but mostly because I have a really busy schedule and not a lot of time to run out for lunch, so I end up starving before I finally go get something and then grab the fastest thing I can.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    When I worked in an office environment, I would make meals and snacks in advance and divide it into lunch-sized storage containers to pack each day. Other times, I would just take a bag of salad fixings, store it in the office fridge and make up a salad in the employee kitchen. If you have access to a fridge and a microwave, you can pretty much make and pack anything. If time is short in the mornings, do it the night before.
  • trisherbie
    trisherbie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just picked up 100 cal avocado packs at Walmart - love those with some veggies! Other snack items I like are laughing cow cheese wedges with pretzel thins, pistachios, and fiber one bars!

For meals I stick to leftover dinner items usually reworked. For example, we grilled turkey brats tonight so that's what I'll have for lunch tomorrow or we grilled shrimp on Sunday and I had that on reduced fat triscuit crackers with avocado today along with cucumbers and blackberries. It's easy for me because I don't have to think about what I'm packing in the morning...I don't know if that helps :-)
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Man my mind is blown, I though subway had some pretty healthy options :sad:
  • trisherbie
    trisherbie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    In addition, if you want to still have your Subway lunches, you could always not eat the entire roll its prepared on and dress it up with less mayo/fatty condiments and cheese and more veggies and lean meat. I pull the "bread guts" out of those sub rolls to cut the carbs down...just a thought.
  • MyouTakaraTriesAgain
    Options
    Check out some of the recipes on http://www.justbento.com .

My lunch today consisted of fruit, veggies with hummus, pretzels, and one of the lazy tea eggs from a justbento recipe.
  • rebprest
    rebprest Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I just got a bento box and I take leftovers from dinner or something I can slap together in a hurry. Today I had half a red bell pepper filled with black beans, quinoa, shredded chicken breast and a tablespoon or so of cheese. You can also just take simple hand-foods like vegetables with hummus and an apple with peanut butter. Sandwiches can be healthy if done right, or tortilla wraps in whole wheat.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Pinterest >>> bento boxes & mason jar meals.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    In addition, if you want to still have your Subway lunches, you could always not eat the entire roll its prepared on and dress it up with less mayo/fatty condiments and cheese and more veggies and lean meat. I pull the "bread guts" out of those sub rolls to cut the carbs down...just a thought.

You could also just get the salad. I actually really like their chopped salads
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Bump for more great ideas!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Left overs and tupperwear.

batch cooking FTMFW.