Smoking???

Options
2»

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I'm a one-thing-at-a-time person too. I decided to get my eating/exercising habits on track first, in the hopes that when I quit smoking I can head off at least some of the weight gain.

I admire your strength! Keep it up and stay committed!
  • bethann1976
    Options
    I went from 235 to about 158, and then I quit smoking in August. I have since gained back about 15, but I believe the main reason I've experienced a gain is bc I got lazy for a few months. I quit by using Chantix, and I noticed I didn't gain anything until I STOPPED the Chantix.

In any event, I'm still down about 60 pounds overall, and I'm a non-smoker! Now for the pesky remaining 50 lbs.
  • aschultz9
    Options
    I will be one year smoke free on Feb 1st. I am very proud of this! It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but I can say with certainty I will NEVER smoke again! I find it absolutely disgusting now. I used Chantix to start..it helped a ton! You've got to be ready..REALLY ready or it won't work. Good Luck!

Wanted to add, I have gained about 10 pounds this past year, BUT I've been lax with my diet and started a job where I sit all day. I attribute my weight gain to that and not quitting smoking.
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    For those that aren't aware. It isn't necessarily the eating more that makes us gain weight when we quit smoking. Nicotine RAISES our metabolism so when we quit our metabolism slows down so you have to try and expend more energy to make up the difference.
  • KyleeLane
    Options
    I quit smoking about three months ago by drinking tea! I just always had tea on hand. It seemed the Tension Tamer by Celestial teas really helped the most. I have gained about 10 pounds though, but now I feel safe tackling the weight demon.

GOOD LUCK! And it really is SO worth it. <3
  • pjames22
    Options
    Hi,
    Hang in there you can do it, if you REALLY want to. This coming April 13, will make 2 years since I
    had a cigarette, after smoking for 29 years. Are you doing anything to help you quit. I know there
    are a lot of things said about it, but I took Chantix and had NO problems. Oh I could still smoke
    a cigarette, but whenever that thought crosses my mind I think, "I don't do that anymore." Good
    Luck.
  • pjames22
    Options
    Hi,
    I quit smoking, it will be 2 years this coming April. I did the Chantix. There are a lot of things said
    about it, but I had none of the "side affects" and had no cravings. Some of the side affects that they
    talk about, in my opinion, are nicotine withdraw symptoms. Hope this helps and good luck.
  • bethann1976
    Options
    For those that aren't aware. It isn't necessarily the eating more that makes us gain weight when we quit smoking. Nicotine RAISES our metabolism so when we quit our metabolism slows down so you have to try and expend more energy to make up the difference.

I've heard it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 calories daily. In any event, like others have said, I also attribute my post-smoking gain to a lax attitude and not the lack of cigs.