How true are the calories burned on treadmill

Options
I'm doing the couch to 5k which is HIIT training so on the treadmill at the gym I alternate between two different speeds (walking and fast jogging), I put in my weight and age so do you think the calories burned are accurate? I don't know how to put it into mfp because it doesn't know how fast I'm running or walking in each interval so should I just go with what the treadmill says?

It seems pretty accurate but I've heard people saying they aren't because everyone weighs different, but it always asks for age and weight so does this mean that it is accurate?

Replies

• TMattP
    TMattP Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Cto5K is wonderful. Well done for starting it.

Think the treadmill calories are slightly on the optimistic side.

You need to get a Heart Rate Monitor for a more accurate reading. I'm usually 100+ calories less on my HRM than on the treadmill.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I always cut down the number a machine gives me by a 1/3- 1/2, especially since I'm petite.

You'll see people asking "why aren't I losing weight", and their diary says they burned 1000 cals in 40 minutes of elliptical. No.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you are on a brand-name commercial treadmill (or even a top brand name home model), and you enter your weight, and you don't hold on to the handrails, the calories burned on the display will be as accurate as you can get, and likely more accurate than any HRM.

The same can't be said for other machines, esp ellipticals, but treadmill readings can be very accurate.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    <----Treadmill totally overestimates calorie burn, unless you enter your weight at the end of the run like I did!
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'd say treadmill calories are an optimistic estimate. In my experience, there is at least a 100 calorie difference between my HRM reading and the treadmill reading.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'd say treadmill calories are an optimistic estimate. In my experience, there is at least a 100 calorie difference between my HRM reading and the treadmill reading.

The fact that there is a difference does prove that the treadmill reading is wrong. This absolute (and completely misplaced) faith in HRM calorie readings as a reference standard is one of the most bizarre things I have seen in over 30 years as a fitness professional. Especially since almost no one making the claims has the slightest clue how HRMs work.
  • jenniferpark01
    jenniferpark01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    How true are any calorie burn calculations? It is all just based on formulas for average person. I would say be consistent. If you use the treadmill calories, stick to it from here out. I use a heart rate monitor, but I don't eat my exercise calories.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates mine pretty close. I wouldn't recommend using the treadmill as they often waaaaay overestimate. It'll say I've burned 180 calories when I've only burned 120 or so.