food scale users--no oz./gram options for foods

Options
2»

Replies

• smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If you're using the app, the very first entry is typically the official entry (you just cannot see that there is not an asterisk on the app), and if you click on it and expand the options for serving size, you will see you have numerous options, including "100 g"

For example, a search for "banana raw" will result in "Generic-Bananas-Raw" as your first search result. What you will see in the app is "1.0 cup, mashed, 200 cal," but when you select it, click on "Serving Size" and you will see there are NUMEROUS other serving sizes, including 100.0 g at the very bottom.

Other tips for finding things by weight are to include "usda" "raw" "g" or "100 g" in your searches. Yes, it is a bit of a pain, but it is very much worth the effort.

That is a helpful tip. What I'm not seeing is numerous other serving sizes when opening the serving size but I will try those search terms to see if this helps. Thanks!

Yes, not everything will have an official entry like that, but your fruits and vegetables typically do (especially if you include "raw" in your search, ie, bananas raw, celery raw, avocado raw etc).
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    THEN I realize what a pain in the butt it is to track actual weights! It would be extremely convenient if all the entries gave the option of adding food by the oz/gram. Yeah, I can crack out my calculator and do the math that 3.8 oz of bread is x of 2 oz serving slice, but I rounded it to 2. I love the barcode feature and use it a lot for prepackaged foods. I wanted the scale more for meats, fruits, veggies, or things I won't eat in a pre-portioned serving.

Eh I use the app on my phone and just use the calculator in my phone too. I've also gotten better at mental math. It seems like everything I eat has a serving size of 28 grams.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I agree the scale can be a PITA, but I use it consistently at home, at work I do a couple of things. Since I am the purchaser I know most times what it is the chef has put out and the portion sizes so i work from that. for the salads at this point i'm pretty good at eyeballing 100 gr of various lettuces and the other ingredients (and to be honest a 10% error on salad will not be a big deal to me) for the dressings since i use a 2 TBSP ladle I bought for the kitchen i just look up the dressing i used
    Generally though i weigh/measure pretty much everything and if I can't I estimate to the high side

I just think it's funny that I got lambasted by scale freaks for saying pretty much the same thing awhile back on a food scales post. Tons of replies saying how easy it is to use a food scale, tare it and be done with it, why would anyone use measuring cups or spoons and dirty up utensils yada, yada, yada, but no one once mentioned how big of a pain in the *kitten* it is to TRACK it on this site once you measure it! Crack out a calculator? Please. Yeah I love math and I'm good at it but really? Search through multitudes of entries to find one that measures in grams? Create new duplicate entries for nearly everything? And then, oh just eyeball it. Which of course, MAKES SENSE!!

Btw, a great trick for salad dressings, etc. is disposable medicine cups. Bought a slew on Amazon for cheap while ago...use them for everything. (Oh but wait, should I put that little cup on my scale, tare it, and then hunt down a entry that allows me to record in grams, otherwise my calorie counts will be WAAAYY off!)

Sarcasm aside, I am soooo disappointed to find that MFP has not incorporated this as a standard in every entry.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I just think it's funny that I got lambasted by scale freaks for saying pretty much the same thing awhile back on a food scales post. Tons of replies saying how easy it is to use a food scale, tare it and be done with it, why would anyone use measuring cups or spoons and dirty up utensils yada, yada, yada, but no one once mentioned how big of a pain in the *kitten* it is to TRACK it on this site once you measure it!!
    Sarcasm aside, I am soooo disappointed to find that MFP has not incorporated this as a standard in every entry.

The further you are from your goal weight, the easier it is to get away with not using a scale, because there's a larger margin of error. If your deficit is only 800 instead of 1000 one day, you're still at a good deficit. However, for those close to goal weight, who are working with say a 250 calorie a day deficit, well, eating an extra 15g of peanut butter is going to cut their deficit by almost half. Have you ever weighed 2 tbsp of peanut butter? It's very very little, much less than people think 2 tbsp is. Most people who don't weigh their food and then get a scale start to realize they've been eating about double the serving size for it. So, just that amount of mistake each day will slow that persons loss by almost half....that's significant. Some Other foods that I've found tend to weigh a lot more than people think: granola and breakfast cereals, cheese, condiments, apples and bananas, starchy vegetables. No, lol, you don't need to weigh lettuce and cucumbers, but if you add sunflower seeds or slivered almonds as a salad topper, that you might wanna weight.

For people who are seeing a nice rate of loss, nah scales aren't a necessity...but as soon as someone says "I'm not losing" or "why am I losing so slow" yes, the first question is "are you weighing your food" because that's the record, and a more accurate record will provide better answers.

For the most part, once you've been doing it for a while it gets easier. I eat a lot of the same veggies, meats, and snacks pretty regularly so they are either on my recent or frequent pages, or I've eaten the thing so many times that I know how many grams are supposed to be in the "1 serving". I rarely use a calculator because I can estimate and round up easy enough to compensate for errors.

As for the disappointment...that's is what happens when information is crowdsourced. And because not everyone feels the need for weight based servings, we get all kinds of things. It could be left to just staff to propagate the database but...then the consequences would be that you wouldn't be able to locate or create an entry for that obscure brand from some little local place.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I just think it's funny that I got lambasted by scale freaks for saying pretty much the same thing awhile back on a food scales post. Tons of replies saying how easy it is to use a food scale, tare it and be done with it, why would anyone use measuring cups or spoons and dirty up utensils yada, yada, yada, but no one once mentioned how big of a pain in the *kitten* it is to TRACK it on this site once you measure it!!

The further you are from your goal weight, the easier it is to get away with not using a scale, because there's a larger margin of error. If your deficit is only 800 instead of 1000 one day, you're still at a good deficit. However, for those close to goal weight, who are working with say a 250 calorie a day deficit, well, eating an extra 15g of peanut butter is going to cut their deficit by almost half. Have you ever weighed 2 tbsp of peanut butter? It's very very little, much less than people think 2 tbsp is. Most people who don't weigh their food and then get a scale start to realize they've been eating about double the serving size for it. So, just that amount of mistake each day will slow that persons loss by almost half....that's significant. Some Other foods that I've found tend to weigh a lot more than people think: granola and breakfast cereals, cheese, condiments, apples and bananas, starchy vegetables. No, lol, you don't need to weigh lettuce and cucumbers, but if you add sunflower seeds or slivered almonds as a salad topper, that you might wanna weight.

For people who are seeing a nice rate of loss, nah scales aren't a necessity...but as soon as someone says "I'm not losing" or "why am I losing so slow" yes, the first question is "are you weighing your food" because that's the record, and a more accurate record will provide better answers.

For the most part, once you've been doing it for a while it gets easier. I eat a lot of the same veggies, meats, and snacks pretty regularly so they are either on my recent or frequent pages, or I've eaten the thing so many times that I know how many grams are supposed to be in the "1 serving". I rarely use a calculator because I can estimate and round up easy enough to compensate for errors.

As for the disappointment...that's is what happens when information is crowdsourced. And because not everyone feels the need for weight based servings, we get all kinds of things. It could be left to just staff to propagate the database but...then the consequences would be that you wouldn't be able to locate or create an entry for that obscure brand from some little local place.

I had neglected to mention Calorie dense foods like Nut Butters I just avoid altogether when i can't weigh them. they are deceptive. I get away with not using a scale at work in part because Portioning adn portion measurement is part of the job and the chefs control the portions on nutrient dense items (like proteins/lasagna etc) quite well because it's a part of the costing process. So when i take a piece of lasagna from the pan i know it's withing 5-7% of the proper weight 95 times out of 100 and I have the nutrient info on everything we use
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I got the scale primarily for calorie dense foods like nut butters, nuts, etc., unsliced bakery breads, meats, fruits, etc. I found a good post yesterday by happenstance on accurately logging your food, with suggestions on how to edit existing entries and create your own and add to "my foods", as well as other excellent tips. I'm more than willing to front-load work to make it easy in the long run. I'm sure this contributes to the problem of all the multiple entries--even an option to NOT add it to the database would be a great feature. I'm pretty sure Livestrong and Sparkpeople have the serving size option available in all their database entries.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Can you take a second look at the food label? It will usually say something like Serving Size: 1/4 cup (59g).

Let's say you weigh your portion on the scale and you come up with 62 grams. Bust out that calculator and divide 62/59 and you'll get 1.05. Log that number as your serving size.

Edited to add: You can create your own label if you don't see one in the database that's correct. Lots of times there is a correct entry, you just have to find it though.

Great advice!