IBS

Options
Hi All

Anyone suffer from IBS?

trying to loose weight without upsetting system?

after advice etc

Replies

• jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Figure out your trigger foods and avoid them. That's the single best piece of advice I can give to anyone with IBS. I've actually noticed less trouble with my stomach since I changed my diet, which is awesome.

Edit: I have IBS-D, I've had it for a number of years now. Dairy, greasy foods, and whole corn are the things that bother me the most.
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with IBS since I was 5 years old, and I'm in my 60's. My system is going to be upset whether or not I'm losing weight. If something in particular bothers you, like raw veggies, steam them or don't eat them. Food I could tolerate years ago now hurts me, but now I can eat food I couldn't eat earlier. That's just IBS. I don't see any way to completely avoid the discomfort, but I don't see why weight loss would make it worse. You will probably have to come up with a diet that's a little different from the food normally recommended, that's all.
  • ecc79
    ecc79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cutting out carbs has practically stopped my IBS-D completely.
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

And that's the problem with IBS. Meat and vegetables are a lot more likely to hammer me than carbs. Bread is frequently all I can eat, like dry toast.
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options

And that's the problem with IBS. Meat and vegetables are a lot more likely to hammer me than carbs. Bread is frequently all I can eat, like dry toast.

Kind of unbelievable how different IBS is from person to person!!! I can't tolerate wheat at all or sugar. Only certain veggies are ok and never raw.
  • PinkPanther318
    PinkPanther318 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have really bad IBS- just got out of ER tonight, seen the doctors the last 2 days. I am working on trying to cut dairy because I think it is contributing to my ibs. It's really just a process of elimination.