Exercise/Stability Ball

Options
Hey everyone,

My boyfriend just bought two exercise balls for us. I'm going to exchange mine for a burst-resistant one, but I'm definitely interested in owning one! I plan on keeping it at my desk and using it as a chair, as well as using it for workouts occasionally.

My question is, does anyone else use exercise/stability balls? If so, how do you like it? What are some of your favorite uses for it?

Looking forward to burning a few more calories while on my computer, as well as improving my balance and working my core. :)

Replies

• CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I picked up one along with a DVD after Christmas - I've only done the the workout once, but it's pretty good for toning/strength training. I've used one at work when I'm sitting at my desk, and can definitely feel it when I do. My stomach and lower back get achy from holding myself up - so it's definitely doing something.
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    I just got the no burst one and so far I've only used it for balancing. I don't work so I find myself watching TV when my work out and chores are done so I sit on my ball to help strengthen my core. I do feel relief in my lower back after sitting on it. My next step is going to use it for at home exercises.
  • pegrick
    Options
    I use mine with five pound hand weights. I sit on the ball and do lifts to the side, directly in front of me, back behind my head, etc. When I'm being good, I do 5 sets of ten rep for each movement. I also use it do ab crunches - it's easier on the back for me. I also lay on the floor with feet on the ball and lift the hips up off the floor. Remember that anytime you are sitting on the ball you are using your core to stabilize yourself. I'm pretty sure there are some websites out there to give you more moves for it! I love mine to sit on watching tv! Have fun.........
  • MISTTIMI
    Options
    Yes I have several fitness balls, I use one as a chair and ottoman, I have one in my exercise room to use to sit on and do stretches and lifting weights. I recently purchased the Patrick Goudeau ball choreography workout DVD, It looks like an energetic aerobic workout and looks fun, have not tried it yet.
  • MissChelleBelle
    MissChelleBelle Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There are so many exercises you can do with it... all you need is a set of dumbells and you can do an entire workout!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I use one and LOVE IT!!!! I've owned 3 I think and now I just use the ones supplied by the gym but there are SO many great core exercises. My fave exercises on it are of course your standard crunch: the trick to this is making sure your butt is off the ball and you're holding yourself in a tabletop position lifting JUST your shoulder blades off the ball- it works ALL of your abs, Then there's what I lovingly call the butt burner where you lay on the floor (on your back) with your heels on the ball- you lift your body into a bridge (butt off the floor in a straight line from ankles to chin) and bend your knees rolling the ball to your butt using your heels and then re-extend (keeping your butt up) and repeat... this one is vicious the first few times. I have taken to putting my feet on it when I do push ups as well... there are squats, planks, all sorts of good stuff!! :drinker:
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I use one and LOVE IT!!!! I've owned 3 I think and now I just use the ones supplied by the gym but there are SO many great core exercises. My fave exercises on it are of course your standard crunch: the trick to this is making sure your butt is off the ball and you're holding yourself in a tabletop position lifting JUST your shoulder blades off the ball- it works ALL of your abs, Then there's what I lovingly call the butt burner where you lay on the floor (on your back) with your heels on the ball- you lift your body into a bridge (butt off the floor in a straight line from ankles to chin) and bend your knees rolling the ball to your butt using your heels and then re-extend (keeping your butt up) and repeat... this one is vicious the first few times. I have taken to putting my feet on it when I do push ups as well... there are squats, planks, all sorts of good stuff!! :drinker:

Thinking about investing in a stability ball just to keep me active while I watch my shows at night and help with strength training! Thanks for this!