Anyone go by measuring tape & not the scale for maintenance?

Options
Seeing the scale numbers fluctuate gives me way too much anxiety so I think from now on I'm going to measure myself once a week at the same exact spots and go by that. Does anyone else do this? That way I won't be able to see actual water weight on the scale.

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do this. I don't have a scale; I hate them. I'm going by clothing size. I'm at a size 16 in jeans and aim to get to size 10 by September. I have size 4-5 tops that I also intend to be able to wear by Halloween. Add me if you like!
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I do something similar, get weight about once a week, and get tape measurments, giving me a BF%. Last week, I was down a pound or so, but up half a % (neck and waist up .1")

Yesterday, I ate to much Pizza, and was up 6 pounds. IN one day.

Really hoping that it doesn't stick around.
  • Nette117
    Nette117 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that I'm losing inches faster than pounds and I can tell the difference in my body even though the scale is barely moving. You have to always do whats best for you!
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think that's what I'll do when maintaining will be my goal
  • roadregrets
    Options
    yes I was just thinking about this, thank you for reminding me!! I will pick up a measuring tape on the way home today. The scale is just too unforgiving sometimes whether you're holding water or it is just a different time of day it can be discouraging. I haven't measured in a while so it will be interesting to see.

:)
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I go completely by the measuring tape, but my reasons for doing so are probably somewhat different than most. I use a wheelchair for mobility, so weighing myself is pretty much impossible. I can't afford a wheelchair scale for personal use and my doctor's office doesn't have one either, so for me it's measurements all the way.

As long as you're consistent in measuring the same way and the same area each time, it should work just fine. And, as Veil mentioned, the way my clothing fits also lets me know which way I'm going.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but it's the tape measure that's really encouraging. My weight has been stable for a year, but I've lost 2" on my waist and 2" on my hips since I went on maintenance.

So if that makes you less anxious, go for it! I think it shows a lot more about the state of your body than your weight.
  • salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The scale is a joke - unless you refuse to buy the medical community's tripe about BMI. BMI was never designed to measure the health of individuals - it was created by a mathematician in the 19th century to assess the weight of populations. So it's a completely inappropriate tool to determine any one person's 'ideal' weight.

That said - the scale can help as long as you don't fret over the daily variations. It can go up or down 3 - 5 lbs and it may not mean a thing - you have to average results over several weeks or a month.

That, that said. The better guideline is waist to height ratio. Your waist measurement should not exceed half your height - in, cm, whatever the formula's the same. So the tape measure is your friend.

Good luck.

Sal
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week and measure once a week. The tape measure doesn't lie!
  • Sherbear1109
    Sherbear1109 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    All about the tape measure here. :-) Nice to see at least some others concur.
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The mirror and how your clothes fit are far better tools for measuring progress than scales
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I both measure and weigh. But the measurements discourage me. My weight has gone down considerably, but my measurements have hardly changed and with the exception of my face, I see no notable difference in my appearance.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I go by my clothes for regular day to day knowledge, and the measuring tape when I'm doing specific weight training programs. I will check my weight when I'm bulking, but for maintenance it is completely unnecessary. I can be 5-7 pounds more on a day I work out and retain water, so I know it's completely inaccurate and not worth checking.
  • 37lbs_to_go
    37lbs_to_go Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My dad does this sort of. When I get to maintenance I hope to use his advice. "When your pants start getting tight it's time to lose weight."
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I use my Accu Measure calipers. One pinch in the same spot tells the tale! No need to weigh or measure.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week or so, use the callipers once a month or so, and mostly just pay attention to the way my clothes fit. It works for me!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    tbuhKxl.gif

True story:
    I worked construction for a summer back when I was 17 and still entertaining delusions of toughness.

I put on 5 kilos but felt, looked and performed better than ever before (or since). Haven't trusted the scale since then. I weigh myself every once in a million years if I feel like it, but have always tracked my waist while losing.

I intend to do the same in maintenance.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I've always used both, with a preference for the scale. It's just a tool.
  • Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options
    Completely. Haven't used scales for months as so discouraging.
    Measure every couple of weeks to make sure all is well as well as general clothes fitting.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    God no.