Losing 'vanity pounds' - go hungry?

Options
hmg90
hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
I don't know what the official definition of "vanity pounds" is. But I assume it is someone who wants to lose weight mostly to look better and who doesn't have a BMI that is overweight.

I am female, 23, 5"9 and 150 lbs / 68 kgs. I used to be as slim as 128 lbs and although I don't need to go quite as low, I am uncomfortable at my current weight. I don't just want to be more toned, I want to be slimmer. I was always healthy before, but after some bad months of depression and unhealthy eating/drinking, I gained, and am now struggling to lose it.

It feels as though my body desperately wants to reach maintenance every day. I eat about 1500 calories, but I walk to and frm work burning about 300 calories each way, and I eat back about half of them. But my body wants more. I don't eat when I'm having cravings, I eat when I'm hungry. Of course I allow myself some wine and cheese because I don't want to punish myself and then go nuts (which I did in the past).

Those of you losing so-called "vanity pounds", do you feel like you sometimes need to go hungry to bed to get results?

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    These, IMO, are the hardest to lose.

Start lifting weights if you don't already. Heavy ones. The scale may not change, but your body composition will! (Read: you may weigh the same but you will be smaller).
  • hmg90
    Options
    I haven't lost any weight this week and I'm thinking I might have to eat 1500 and not eat back any exercise calories...but it will be SO hard, I am starving once I reach the office.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Im the same height & weight around the same as you. I too used to be a lot slimmer, but now I have been using the weights, I am more toned, and more muscly than before.

I know exactly what you mean. I now think for me to lose 'WEIGHT' it is going to be very hard, and sometimes I think do I have to go to bed hungry, or starve myself to do it.

At the moment, I am just trying to eat a lot cleaner/healthier, workout & see what happens. Maybe its harder for us as were tall & don't have a lot to lose???

Maybe set your goals at 0.5lb per week, that's what everyone has told me
  • mgrace92
    mgrace92 Posts: 7
    Options
    I totally understand. For a while in college I was still slim, but wanted to be a few pounds less to be happier with myself. I wasn't at a huge calorie deficit, but I felt like I was starving and would lie in bed and think about how badly I wanted to eat until I fell asleep or gave in. I was still eating a healthy amount of calories, so I wasn't actually starving, but I just felt hungry.

I've found that choosing the right foods lead to less hunger. I upped my protein intake and ate less carbs and it totally worked for me. Instead of a cereal for breakfast, I had a hardboiled egg or high protein yogurt with fruit or Turkey bacon. For dinner, I find that a lean cut of pork with broccoli or peas kept me full through the night.

Currently, I went through a weight gain from something very similar. I started a new job and treated my stress with the foods I craved and a few glasses of wine when I got home. I'm working on myself again and now that I know what to eat I almost never feel hungry, despite the fact that I'm at a serious calorie deficit.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    you are hungry because you're only eating 1500 cals, that's pretty low for a 150 lb'er you don't need to go that low just do a small deficit, also try IF, makes it so much easier to eat at a deficit, also you should lift weights if you aren't already
  • arkaya888
    arkaya888 Posts: 6
    Options
    I am in the same position as you. I generally come in around 1200-1500 a day, but I do not go hungry. If I ever have a craving I just eat fruit or a plain salad, it's barely any calories and you get some good vitamins.
    I also eat a lot of dry fruit and nuts the calories are higher but they fill you up more and are long burners so you need less.
    I still eat terrible foods like takeaways, cheese, bread and alcohol often. But I never go over 2000 a day. If I do, I exercise so I am back down to 2000 or preferably less.
  • hmg90
    Options
    I am in the same position as you. I generally come in around 1200-1500 a day, but I do not go hungry. If I ever have a craving I just eat fruit or a plain salad, it's barely any calories and you get some good vitamins.
    I also eat a lot of dry fruit and nuts the calories are higher but they fill you up more and are long burners so you need less.
    I still eat terrible foods like takeaways, cheese, bread and alcohol often. But I never go over 2000 a day. If I do, I exercise so I am back down to 2000 or preferably less.

Do you exercise? I mean walking, running or sth like that. And do you eat them back?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Those last few pounds are going to come off VERY slowly, so starving yourself isn't the answer. It will just make you binge.

I'm older, shorter, and lighter than you are, and I can eat 2300 calories a day and create a deficit. 1500 sounds way too low--eat more. And as a pp said, lift some heavy weights. It will do more to get you the look you want than not eating.
  • hmg90
    Options
    Those last few pounds are going to come off VERY slowly, so starving yourself isn't the answer. It will just make you binge.

I'm older, shorter, and lighter than you are, and I can eat 2300 calories a day and create a deficit. 1500 sounds way too low--eat more. And as a pp said, lift some heavy weights. It will do more to get you the look you want than not eating.

I've honestly never lifted before and wouldn't know where to start. I'm one of those spin class bunnies who's somewhat afraid of that weight lifting room where there are only men and they're kissing their biceps in the mirror. I'd feel like a fool walking in and grabbing the lightest ones and I wouldn't know what technique to use either.

Are there any types of classes with a trainer that's good to start doing? Like those kettlebells ones?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Something you may want to consider is a bit of a revamp of your diet. I checked your macros for the last week or so and you're always going over carbs and under on fats and protein. The problem with this balance is that carby food tend to be processed quickly and leave you hungry while foods high in protein and healthy fats will keep you full much longer. Sure it seems there's an awful lot of calories in these foods but they're the kind of calories that should stick with you longer.

The great thing about logging is that you can take note of how certain foods affect you. Think about how you feel after certain meals - was it really filling and if not, how could you change it (add meat/legumes to salads, use full fat dressing or dairy, etc)

And although you're not necessarily looking to tone, weight training may be more beneficial to you than cardio alone. The more muscle you retain, the more calories you'll burn at rest and your body may develop the look you want because it'll be burning mostly fat. Something to consider.

ETA: Kettlebell work can help but a lot of that is more cardio/endurance work. The only class I know if that would be more strength training is Les Mills Body Pump but there could be others. Talk to the folks at the desk and see what they recommend.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    You're already a healthy BMI so it would be advisable to eat at a small deficit from TDEE (10 or 15%) and lift weights.

Use a calculator such has this to calculate your TDEE: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

^This. I'm trying to figure out why you are only eating 1500 calories per day. My base calories before exercise are more than that, and I'm also older, shorter, and lighter.

Have you calculated your TDEE? Are you weighing/measuring your food and liquids? Are you counting calories or looking at macros as well? I peeked at your diary and you are not getting enough protein and seem to be low on fat as well, which also contributes to being hungry.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It is the hardest to lose. I would echo what some others on here have said, and emphasize the importance of meeting your macros. Getting adequate protein is essential for me to NOT be hungry when working in a deficit. I don't get a ton, but I get enough to keep me satiated.

Right now, I'm trying to lose vanity pounds--well, sort of. I'm just trying to look better, and if I look better but not dropping weight (i.e. recomping), then so be it. I'm not trying to reach a magical number. I still weigh myself, and the drops are small. Very small.

I would never starve myself or go hungry to lose weight or try to look better. That just isn't worth it to me. You just have to find the right combination of foods, macros, and calories, that keep you full and don't hinder weight loss.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

^This. I'm trying to figure out why you are only eating 1500 calories per day. My base calories before exercise are more than that, and I'm also older, shorter, and lighter.

Have you calculated your TDEE? Are you weighing/measuring your food and liquids? Are you counting calories or looking at macros as well? I peeked at your diary and you are not getting enough protein and seem to be low on fat as well, which also contributes to being hungry.

Maybe she means netting 1500?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Maybe she means netting 1500?

Her calorie goal is set to 1500, and some days she doesn't even eat that. It seems really low for someone her age with her stats, which is why I'm asking. I think a higher calorie goal and adjust of macros would help quite a bit with the hunger issue.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Try filling up on raw veggies.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what vanity pounds are, but it's not worth it to me to go hungry. Why be miserable when you don't have to be?
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I've never had to lose anything other than vanity pounds. But if you've been in a certain range all your life, a weight increase is very concerning. I need to be under 1200 to lose weight. Sometimes I am hungry. But more frequently and troublingly, I'll find myself eating when I'm not hungry. Granted, my caloric needs are low, so it doesn't take much for me to overeat.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Find your TDEE.

From there, subtract a reasonable deficit. Something like 15% or 20%. Or aim for half a pound a week loss or a little bit more, so a deficit between 250 and 500 a day.

Lift heavy weights. You'll need to find a weight lifting program that works for you. This in itself could be an entire different thread.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I've found that choosing the right foods lead to less hunger. I upped my protein intake and ate less carbs and it totally worked for me.

It's true. If I eliminate sugar, alcohol, and excessive fats and carbs I'm there. Right now, I'm focusing on avoiding sweets. I've had a lot of stress and I can't go on a flat-out diet at the moment. (For me to make significant progress it helps for me to go on a very streamlined eating plan for a limited period.)