Strength Training and Running

Options
2»

Replies

• glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    During the winter I use body weight exercises at home. In the summer, yard work and gardening (including digging, raking, weeding, hauling bags of mulch) and I am also a scuba instructor (swimming, carrying tanks....)
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I do my own variation of strong lifts.

When I'm training for a race, I'll run three days a week and strength train for two.

My next half is in November, so I'm currently strength training three days a week and running two days a week.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    OP: look up training programs like Higdon or Galloway. I have a half In January, the day after a 10k. So a 20 week program will work for me. On the short run days I'll lift compound lifts. The day before the long run for the week I'll rest. So 4 running days, 2-3 of those days lift, and one rest day. For lifting, you could attempt any number of plans, but find what you enjoy since you may be doing it the same day as a run. Best of luck, have fun, enjoy the running and lifting.
  • losingit512
    losingit512 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    OP: look up training programs like Higdon or Galloway. I have a half In January, the day after a 10k. So a 20 week program will work for me. On the short run days I'll lift compound lifts. The day before the long run for the week I'll rest. So 4 running days, 2-3 of those days lift, and one rest day. For lifting, you could attempt any number of plans, but find what you enjoy since you may be doing it the same day as a run. Best of luck, have fun, enjoy the running and lifting.

I am using Higdon for my training and so far it is working out really well for me. I think I might try NROLW to get a solid strength training circuit/routine down. I know runs are important but I also know that strength training is also important!

Thanks everyone for their posts. It definitely helps out!
  • julie_emma1
    julie_emma1 Posts: 146
    Options
    I am training for my 3rd half. I run about 5 days per week and do strength training 2 days per week. My strength workout looks something like this

Day 1
    Squats with the squat-rack bar
    Lunges with a barbell
    Seated row machine
    Military overhead press
    Push-ups
    Abdominal stuff (planks, crunches, twists with the medicine ball)

Day 2 (Thursday)
    Bench press
    Bicep curls
    Tricep dips
    Lat Pull Down
    Inner and Outer Thigh machine
    Abdominal stuff

I do less heavy work on my legs on Day 2, so that my legs aren't too tired for my long runs on Saturdays. Hope that gives you some ideas!
  • julie_emma1
    julie_emma1 Posts: 146
    Options
    I am using Higdon for my training and so far it is working out really well for me. I think I might try NROLW to get a solid strength training circuit/routine down. I know runs are important but I also know that strength training is also important!

Thanks everyone for their posts. It definitely helps out!

Also, I started with NROLW as well and its a great program if you are new to weight-lifting! Personally, I found the moves became increasing (and unnecessarily) complex in the later stages of the program. Also I found the plan a bit too difficult on my legs and it started to negatively impact my running. So I started modifying the plan to find out what worked, and ended up with the circuit I listed above. Good luck!!
  • losingit512
    losingit512 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am training for my 3rd half. I run about 5 days per week and do strength training 2 days per week. My strength workout looks something like this

Day 1
    Squats with the squat-rack bar
    Lunges with a barbell
    Seated row machine
    Military overhead press
    Push-ups
    Abdominal stuff (planks, crunches, twists with the medicine ball)

Day 2 (Thursday)
    Bench press
    Bicep curls
    Tricep dips
    Lat Pull Down
    Inner and Outer Thigh machine
    Abdominal stuff

I do less heavy work on my legs on Day 2, so that my legs aren't too tired for my long runs on Saturdays. Hope that gives you some ideas!

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR, THANK YOU!!!! This totally gives me some idea on some moves I should be doing.

Cheers! :drinker:
  • badgeratheart
    badgeratheart Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Super helpful information in this thread! Thanks for starting it, OP. And thanks to all who offered advice. Happy National Running Day!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Well, I just signed up for my first half in over 25 years! The race is in December. I plan to carry on lifting 3 times per week (Starting Strength) and getting in ~2 runs a week over the summer, then ramp up the miles in the fall. I figure being stronger will only help me to be faster. I'm in maintenance and have no plans to bulk at all.

I'm open to suggestions for a better plan though!

Yay you!

To the OP - I did my first half last year. I had been running only a year and did a three-day-a week plan. I was doing NRoL4W, but ended up feeling shredded after my long run - even bridges hurt my hamstrings. I stopped working out, just stretched and lost 6 pounds of lean mass.

This year, I'm doing the Convict Conditioning progressive calisthenics program and working on running 4 days a week so I'm fitter in general. Since CC is a progressive program, I'll be able to scale back the exercises until I find something that I can continue through November.

Great job in doing strength training - it's critical for speed and stability.

Yay convict conditioners!!!
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I'm like many of the others... I strength train 3 days a week (or at least getting back to it) and run 4 days a week. My longer run is usually a Saturday with no strength training the day before. I do a shorter run on one of my lifting days... Sunday's are my rest days.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My next half is on 6/7.
    I do Stronglifts three days a week, run 5 miles one weekday evening, and a long run on one weekend morning. I PR'd my last half in Feb by over 20 minutes and trained this way then, also.

Interesting! So you only run 2 days a week? I run 3 days/week and try to strength train or cross train the other days. I rest 1 day. I love Stronglifts. You can search for youtube videos for more info. I've also gotten some good info here http://strengthrunning.com/category/strength-workouts/ Runner's world has some great yoga videos too.
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I find all your responses very interesting. I have just started running again after many years of being a cp. I am using the C25K program to start. When I met with a trainer at my gym I was asked what my goals were. I want to run a few 5K's this summer and possibly work up to a half marathon. I also want to tone up and build my strength as I have lost a considerable amount of weight and am a little flabby. This trainer told me it was not possible to do both, and I had to choose one or the other. The conflicting information is so confusing for someone just starting out. Needless to say I did not hire this trainer. Your responses have confirmed I made the right decision. Your knowledge and feedback is very beneficial and I will incorporate some of your suggestions into my program.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I find all your responses very interesting. I have just started running again after many years of being a cp. I am using the C25K program to start. When I met with a trainer at my gym I was asked what my goals were. I want to run a few 5K's this summer and possibly work up to a half marathon. I also want to tone up and build my strength as I have lost a considerable amount of weight and am a little flabby. This trainer told me it was not possible to do both, and I had to choose one or the other. The conflicting information is so confusing for someone just starting out. Needless to say I did not hire this trainer. Your responses have confirmed I made the right decision. Your knowledge and feedback is very beneficial and I will incorporate some of your suggestions into my program.

Yeah. Find a trainer who knows what they are talking about.

My trainer works with Jeff Galloway and has qualified for Boston. She runs a sub-three marathon. She would disagree with that trainer.

You can't be a competitive power lifter and run at an elite level in the marathon - there is a point where you are going to need to have your main focus on one of those goals. But it's really only after you get pretty good at both.

You can strength train, build muscle and prepare to run your first half. You may need to scale as your workouts get more intense, but you don't have to choose.

A lot of people in real life run through the summer and cross train with weights, and the cut back to a maintenance level of running through the winter and focus on gaining muscle. There are a number of strategies you can use to fit both in.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Yeah. Find a trainer who knows what they are talking about.

My trainer works with Jeff Galloway and has qualified for Boston. She runs a sub-three marathon. She would disagree with that trainer.

You can't be a competitive power lifter and run at an elite level in the marathon - there is a point where you are going to need to have your main focus on one of those goals. But it's really only after you get pretty good at both.

You can strength train, build muscle and prepare to run your first half. You may need to scale as your workouts get more intense, but you don't have to choose.

A lot of people in real life run through the summer and cross train with weights, and the cut back to a maintenance level of running through the winter and focus on gaining muscle. There are a number of strategies you can use to fit both in.

^^^well put. People have no idea how much strength it takes to run long distance. The notion that runners lack strength is nonsense.