Whey Protein Preferences

Options
Hey all,

I've never tried Whey protein powder before, but I want to start making a shake for breakfast and my work-outs. Which is brand is the best tasting? And, which flavor is best of that brand? I need something not too expensive. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

K

Replies

• beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I get the designer whey protein powder in the chocolate flavor. I blend my shake up with some vanilla soy milk, a few frozen banana chunks, wheat germ (for more protein), and some ice and it seriously tastes like a chocolate milkshake!
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Since you're a woman I don't recommend a whey protein at all. I use Beverly brand "Ultimate Muscle Protein" it's a lean protein. It is pretty expensive (like $40) for a huge jug but it lasts a long time!! My boyfriend and I each have our own huge protein jug on our counter, lol, his & hers! His is a Dymatize Whey. We use the website www.netrition.com for all our stuff. He and his friends swear it's the best site and they but A LOT of body building crap. Hope this helps :)
  • Larry7995
    Options
    I like to mix up a smoothie with frozen berries, banana, a little sugar, two scoops of UNFLAVORED protein, ice and water. Its really good and I get my protein from http://supplementdirect.com/wheyproteinisolatenatural2lbs.aspx
  • veggiegirl314
    Options
    I like Jarrow's Vanilla Whey Protein.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is one of the best out there. I also have used Designer Whey in the past. You can get it at most health food stores, or natural food stores like Sprouts or Sunflower Market.

I saw a nutritionist earlier this year and she was the one that recommended whey protein for me. She basically said it's better than the kind that are made for muscle building or weight gain, for obvious reasons. It helps with lean mass, and more lean mass = less fat on your body.

I use the chocolate flavor most because I love chocolate. :smile: Designer whey has a low GI level, so it affects your blood sugar more slowly than say Carnation Instant Breakfast, and you get something like 20g protein. Great way to start the day.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    When I used whey...I used Isopure, it's a whey protein isolate. Much more easily absorbed than some of the regular whey formulas.
    Just because you're a female...don't let it scare you off of using whey. You're not going to bulk up. It's physically impossible for a woman to bulk up without the help of steroids or working out non stop.
    I currently use Vega...it's a vegan protein source with no soy.