Protein Powder suggestions

Options
I'm currently doing P90X which calls for ALOT of protein. I need a good protein powder, any suggestions? I've used Synthia-6 but it was high in calories with not enough protein per scoop.

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition.
  • aubiefan122013
    aubiefan122013 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit this because I'm not a fan of her personally, but I always choose the Jillian MIchaels whey protein powder. It's relatively affordable, and has pretty good stats. I guess the caveat is that I'm not a body builder, I'm a young female that has been trying to add tone/muscle with basic weight training. I typically don't use the powder for shakes; I prefer to mix it in with oatmeal or other baked goods.
  • jojoey135
    jojoey135 Posts: 3
    Options
    Nutrilite Protein Powder.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    MuscleTech Phase 8
    Myofusion elite

I actually love protein bars like Quest because I'm always running...figuratively and literally... ;)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you just get the cheapest powder that is relatively palletable to you.

what you'd really want to do to find the cheapest would be to see how many grams of protein are in a serving, then how many servings are in a container. that way you can compare cost based on how much the protien cost per gram.

there are huge differences in prices. but suppliments are just food. would you spend 20 bucks more on a galon of milk just because it was in pretty packaging that claimed you might absorb a few extra grams of protien? for this reason, i'd avoid Muscletech like the pluage lol
  • jgbones
    jgbones Posts: 6
    Options
    Isopure is my favorite. They offer it in powder, and also in a sports drink - decently low on calories, tons of diff flavors, mixes well with lots of things (I use it for shakes and in my oatmeal) and is super low in cabs if that makes a difference to you.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    as long as you source your whey from New Zealand... anything that you don't mind the taste of is OKAY
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    ironic that buddy suggests yo would buy milk for $20 a gallon... when in fact why protein IS milk... and basically comes in Gallon sized colourful tubs... and I dunno about you.. bu the last tub of whey I bout coast almost $50 Bucks :bigsmile:
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I like Whole Foods brand. It's about $10 bucks and tastes pretty good.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    The only thing I use is unsweetened unflavored whey protein from a brand called About Time. I hate the aftertaste of artificial flavors and sweeteners. I get plenty of sweet out of the milk and fruit I add. In my mind, it's the best.
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition. Casein at night before bed and Whey before a workout.
  • LeahBelcastro
    LeahBelcastro Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    These three are my favorite:

Isopure - Creamy Vanilla Protein Powder
    Dymatize Iso 100 - Birthday Cake
    Dymatize - Elite Xt Blueberry Muffin

I tend to mix them together for different flavor combinations. I get tired of drinking the same flavor every day, so I will take half a scoop (weighed out by grams) of two flavors and mix them. My favorite is the Birthday cake and the Blueberry Muffin. It keeps you full for a good amount of time.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress. Cheap. Great taste.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    ON Gold Standard. Cake Batter, Banana Cream, Extreme Milk Chocolate. All delicious.
  • ekmcdan
    ekmcdan Posts: 38
    Options
    I also use Body Fortress. My husband likes to blend it with milk. I use greek yogurt with it sometimes.

Edit: For the Body Fortress, it's around $20 a tub and is 130 calories per 30g of protein.
  • ekmcdan
    ekmcdan Posts: 38
    Options
    ON Gold Standard. Cake Batter, Banana Cream, Extreme Milk Chocolate. All delicious.
    Banana cream?!! I'll have to give that one a look :drinker:
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Banana cream?!! I'll have to give that one a look :drinker:

Its SO good! I keep a tub at work and at home (of the Banana cream!)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you just get the cheapest powder that is relatively palletable to you.

what you'd really want to do to find the cheapest would be to see how many grams of protein are in a serving, then how many servings are in a container. that way you can compare cost based on how much the protien cost per gram.

there are huge differences in prices. but suppliments are just food. would you spend 20 bucks more on a galon of milk just because it was in pretty packaging that claimed you might absorb a few extra grams of protien? for this reason, i'd avoid Muscletech like the pluage lol
    ironic that buddy suggests yo would buy milk for $20 a gallon... when in fact why protein IS milk... and basically comes in Gallon sized colourful tubs... and I dunno about you.. bu the last tub of whey I bout coast almost $50 Bucks :bigsmile:

the point (in case you missed it), was that there is little nutritional difference between brands, while there is a large difference in price. I was suggesting not to spend more on the pricier brands as its not worth it.

some might have significantly more protien per serving, and thats why i suggested doing the 'cost per gram' comparison.

not really sure where you were going with your post.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Oooh, I heard of pea protein. It's veggie and it's supposed to be not so bad.
  • Citas94580
    Citas94580 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You should try Jay Robb Whey Protein. •Sourced from grass fed cows not treated with rBGH (Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone)*
    •25 grams of protein per serving!
    •11 (30 gram) servings per bag (approximate)
    •Lactose-Free
    •Non-GMO (made with lecithin from Non-GMO sunflower seeds)
    •Gluten-free ingredients
    •No fat, No cholesterol
    •No sugar, No aspartame
    •No artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners
    •No casein, No MSG
    •Made with stevia
    You can get it at GNC, Spouts, Whole Foods