Need to buy a scale

Options
weavernv
weavernv Posts: 1,555 Member
I've been seeing so many posts about Food scales and I know I need to get one, but I'm not sure what to buy. Could you folks tell me what you bought and whether you liked it or not? What kind of features am I looking for? I seriously have no clue what I'm looking for and where I might find one. I've never had one before. But my weight is stuck and that is the advice I've seen most often on here... Thanks!!:tongue:

Replies

• Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing.
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have an electronic one that I bought at Walmart. It will measure in either ounces or grams. Generally cheap but effective.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    How cheap is cheap? I'm thinking I need one too.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have this one: http://www.oxo.com/p-501-11-lb-food-scale-with-pull-out-display.aspx I love it. it's a bit expensive, but worth it to me.
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've had it for a couple of years, but I'm thinking I bought it for $10 or $15.
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have one I bought at Target for around $15 to $20. You don't need anything fancy. You do need the Tare feature, but most of them have that. That lets you put a bowl on the scale, then bring the scale back down to 0 so you can weigh your food.
  • milla1985
    milla1985 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    OK, so this might be a silly question, but is there actually any difference between a food scale, like the ones that people talk about on here, and normal kitchen scales?!

I am also considering buying a food scale but don't want to waste my cash if my kitchen scales will do the same job!

Thanks.
  • Cheri0830
    Cheri0830 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have a weight watchers scale I don't even use
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have one and I love it. But I'm actually looking to get another one that has a higher weight capacity for when I do batch cooking or crock pot cooking. The food scale I have now cannot weigh anything heavier than 5 lbs, and my crock pot is actually heavier than that EMPTY. HA!
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    OK, so this might be a silly question, but is there actually any difference between a food scale, like the ones that people talk about on here, and normal kitchen scales?!

I am also considering buying a food scale but don't want to waste my cash if my kitchen scales will do the same job!

Thanks.

Well looking both up on google they are the same thing.
  • KayJaMikel
    KayJaMikel Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    This is what I just bought, and although does not have a TARE feature all you have to do is take the bowl off and put it back on.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ESIVBT4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was only 15 bux.
  • HollyDee14
    HollyDee14 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think a kitchen scale and a food scale are the same thing. I bought a food scale in the kitchen section of Wal-Mart for like $12. It's digital, super simple, and can weigh in either ounces or grams. I think the most important things are: 1) Can you learn to use it easily and 2) Can you fit it into your life/kitchen area without a lot of stress (e.g., size, ease of cleaning, etc.). After all, the nicest and fanciest thing doesn't help you at all if you aren't able or willing to use it regularly. :) Good luck!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I bought a fancy one with preprogrammed foods which tells you the number of calories for the specific food and amount you are weighing...and it's nice. But I've found that I never really use that function because it requires looking up a code in a book and it's more hassle than it's worth.

All you need is a basic digital scale which will let you tare and has several different units (grams, oz, etc.) Make sure the numbers are big enough to read comfortably and the surface cleans easily. Go on Amazon and read through some reviews before you decide.
  • weavernv
    weavernv Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everybody! I went and got one today and I hope with all the good advice you gave that it works out for me. I got a Cuisinart one with the features you guys suggested. I will start using it right away and hopefully my weight loss amps up... Although right after I said I wasn't losing anything 2.5 lbs came off out of nowhere... Go figure... LOL!!
  • april979
    april979 Posts: 39
    Options
    Im using one of those old non digital weight watchers scales from around 1985 lol. Use it few times a day. Doesnt have to be fancy
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I have a simple Taylor digital food scale that I got for $20 at Target. It tells me ounces and grams. Works great. I am sure there are cheaper ones at Walmart or Amazon.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    This is what I just bought, and although does not have a TARE feature all you have to do is take the bowl off and put it back on.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ESIVBT4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was only 15 bux.

Like I posted on your other thread, and now from the product description of your link:

"Functions:

Mode key, which allows you to change the measurement unit from grams to ounces to pennyweight to troy ounces. On/Off key, to be used as a Tare feature and subtract the weight of an empty tray or container for net weight."

This is fairly typical of a digital food scale to not have a separate Tare button. The on/off button will do that and should in your case as well, unless maybe you got a defective unit