Morbid obesity & exercise question

Options
My goal is to burn 350 - 450 calories a day. Not much for alot of you, but I have 120 pounds to lose, and am struggling. Is it effective if I break up the workouts across the day instead of going at it all at once? i don't want to injure myself again. I have a Polar FT7 hrm and I was thinking something like this for cardio:

6am: 150 calories

noon: 150 calories

6pm: 150 calories

As I get better, Ill add more time to it. I do a weight machine circuit (discovered my stress fracture while I was lifting free weights (squats) , actually) 2 to 3 times a week.

Replies

• BreederUK
    BreederUK Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Do all your cardio in the morning - fasted cardio works at least it does for me.
  • bethanycopley1980
    bethanycopley1980 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've heard that. Im trying to space it through the day so I don't aggravate the fracture any more than I have to. I don't want it to become a full break, and have to wear a boot or worse. I'd swim, but can't afford the membership right now.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it's not ideal- but it's not a bad idea.

can you get into a pool? That might do you some good.

Calorie deficit and even just simple walking will get you very far!!! Good luck on your journey.
  • sattwellrn
    sattwellrn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Where is your stress fracture? What did your doc say? I am heavy too so I have been using an elliptical trainer....also a bike is good.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    However true it might be, I have read that breaking up your workout throughout the day is just as effective as 1 session of the same length. I have a lot to lose like you and I have to do exercise all at once because it works for me because of time constraints/work etc. If breaking it up helps to not aggravate your fracture I say go for it! Good luck!!
  • bethanycopley1980
    Options
    Both my second and third metatarsals. She said that I needed to limit weight bearing activity, and I laughed at her and asked if she has looked at me lately...I can't even get up without 277 pounds of bodyweight being placed on my feet. So i took a couple weeks off of activity and am easing back into it.

Im thinking recumbent bike or recumbent elliptical. I love the Arc Trainer....its my favorite, but Im still putting pressure on my feet when i use it.

Ive read breaking it up can be good too...just didnt know if anyone here has done it with success.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    for most people it's just not practical- life is busy and it's a struggle to get ONE session in much less three individual ones.

Really you have to figure out what works for you- There are days when I lift- shower- then go to dance class later because that's what makes sense.
    Somedays I lift and go immediately to dance class.

Do what's best for you- if that's the way you can get your workouts in- then it's the best way for you.
  • bethanycopley1980
    Options
    Thats understandable. Because of my bodyweight, I burn around 150 calories in 15-20 minutes.
  • bethanycopley1980
    Options
    Bump
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    When I started out at 375 lbs I would use the recumbent bike. At first I could only do 25 minutes, I would add 5 minutes a week and before I knew it I was at an hour. I think the key is to work your way up to increasing stamina, at least it was for me. Now 162ish pounds later I can pedal my bike for hours.

Hope this helps
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If you can get a bike workout in, and get your HR up to 85% of max, you can burn a lot of calories. I am 207 and burn 220 calories in 20 min. You could probably get more in about half an hour and then you are done for the day. Your intensity has to be high, though, so I don't know how that would be on your foot.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    While I agree that a.m. exercise is best... Any movement beats no movement at all. With a stress fracture, I'd consult with my doctor so you didn't further injure yourself. Other than that...just move!

Best of luck...You can do this!
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. I was using an elliptical, but my doc and physio said it was putting me in an awkward gait. And was probably doing me more harm. They suggested swimming, but I don't like public pools. Second option was a bike. I bought a fixed gear and it's been awesome. It gives me a good workout. I get lots of fresh air and sunshine, and it's a great workout. I was running last summer before my diagnosis. Theres also great seated strength training exercises on YouTube. I think Jane Fonda does them? But thats a good option too. Strength training will help burn calories. If I go walking I wear wrist weights and keep my arms high and pump. Kill 2 birds with one stone! I'm trying to lose about 60lbs.
  • bethanycopley1980
    Options
    I used to love riding bikes! I want to get one when im at a weight that wont damage the bike.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    However true it might be, I have read that breaking up your workout throughout the day is just as effective as 1 session of the same length. I have a lot to lose like you and I have to do exercise all at once because it works for me because of time constraints/work etc. If breaking it up helps to not aggravate your fracture I say go for it! Good luck!!

The PE teachers at my school, who all have masters degrees in physical education, told me that breaking up exercise into parts was just fine.
  • timodawson
    timodawson Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Ive read breaking it up can be good too...just didnt know if anyone here has done it with success.

I walk around 5 times a day for 20-30 minutes each time. I've lost 77lbs doing this but had to work my way up to my current activity. I started walking just twice a day. Breaking it up does work.
  • Spaced_pout
    Options
    At my heaviest, I was 438 pounds and couldn't sustain any exercise long. I broke my workouts into three a day until I could physically push myself. You will do amazing things for your metabolism by doing short bursts throughout the day. Good luck!