Dreaded batwings...y'all know what I am talkin' about!

Options

Replies

• tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    His point is that to reduce fat across the whole body, there really isn't any exercises that will change your appearance vastly as long as you're already doing everything right.

Calorie deficit (which you already know) losses weight. HOWEVER, weight loss is NOT synonymous with FAT loss. They are different.

High protein aides with muscle retention, causing more of your deficit to come from fat.

Heavy lifting in a progressive manner also aides with muscle retention, causing more of your deficit to come from fat as well.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Trainer has me working my arms because this bothers me and it's progressively getting saggier and worse with exercise. Lord it's getting worse too!! I keep working it, I hope it does get better as I work them. I hope otherwise I'm heading for plastic surgery!! :(
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard, read, etc. the best thing you can do is get stronger and keep working to give your skin time to shrink up as you're losing fat. In my case, my upper arms were massive and with the weight I've lost, it's just a ton of loose skin. In some cases, these batwings, like mine, won't go away without surgery. They can be smaller, they can be more filled with muscle with heavy lifting and good protein balance diet., but if the skin is beyond your body's ability to repair.. even if the fat is gone, the stretched out skin remains... kind of like really old sweatpants.. the elastic gets worn out.
    Thanks...I will keep at it! :)
  • loriq41
    Options
    Trainer has me working my arms because this bothers me and it's progressively getting saggier and worse with exercise. Lord it's getting worse too!! I keep working it, I hope it does get better as I work them. I hope otherwise I'm heading for plastic surgery!! :(
    Good luck to you as well! :)
  • tonynguyen75
    Options
    Are your lifts steadily going up each time you go in to the gym?

What you want to avoid is getting into the habit of squatting 135 3x8 week after week and never progressing. If you're not progressing, you are not building muscle or taxing your body nearly enough.
    I think the problem is that I am not progressing enough and perhaps NROLFW is just not doing it. I see strides in my shoulders, a little in my arms and definately in my legs but the arms are still failing me.

If you're seeing good progress in your shoulders and legs, this may unfortunately just be an issue with your genetics. Your body will hold on to fat in specific areas longer than others. For some people it's love handles, butt or stomach. For you it sounds like your body may be genetically predisposed to want to hold on to fat around your arms (I'm assuming this is where the "bat wings" are? or "bingo wings"? The only thing that can cure this is time unfortunately. You can try to add in skull crushers, these are good at hitting that spot between your tricep heads and the shoulder.
  • loriq41
    Options
    His point is that to reduce fat across the whole body, there really isn't any exercises that will change your appearance vastly as long as you're already doing everything right.

Calorie deficit (which you already know) losses weight. HOWEVER, weight loss is NOT synonymous with FAT loss. They are different.

High protein aides with muscle retention, causing more of your deficit to come from fat.

Heavy lifting in a progressive manner also aides with muscle retention, causing more of your deficit to come from fat as well.
    Thank you!
  • loriq41
    Options

What you want to avoid is getting into the habit of squatting 135 3x8 week after week and never progressing. If you're not progressing, you are not building muscle or taxing your body nearly enough.
    I think the problem is that I am not progressing enough and perhaps NROLFW is just not doing it. I see strides in my shoulders, a little in my arms and definately in my legs but the arms are still failing me.

If you're seeing good progress in your shoulders and legs, this may unfortunately just be an issue with your genetics. Your body will hold on to fat in specific areas longer than others. For some people it's love handles, butt or stomach. For you it sounds like your body may be genetically predisposed to want to hold on to fat around your arms (I'm assuming this is where the "bat wings" are? or "bingo wings"? The only thing that can cure this is time unfortunately. You can try to add in skull crushers, these are good at hitting that spot between your tricep heads and the shoulder.
    You may be right..thanks!
  • eversmj
    eversmj Posts: 40
    Options

To Tony's point, you should try to increase your working weight every time you do that particular lift. If you're still relatively new this shouldn't be a problem to do, even if you are adding just 1lb to the bar. Make linear progress for as long as you can.
  • loriq41
    Options
    Found this link on tricep exercises the other day. http://www.skinnymom.com/2014/01/01/top-5-moves-for-toned-triceps/#.UtBcmhbvxz8

Give that try.
    I will..thanks!
  • loriq41
    Options

To Tony's point, you should try to increase your working weight every time you do that particular lift. If you're still relatively new this shouldn't be a problem to do, even if you are adding just 1lb to the bar. Make linear progress for as long as you can.
    Thanks!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts should keep those things under control....

worried-gif.gif?w=750
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    batwings mean something different to me.
    And I certainly don't want them on my arms.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    The only way I know to spot reduce bat wings is surgery.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

Idk if you're joking. If you are, ignore this. :drinker:

Bat wings = bingo wings and look something like this:
    1107d1193569968-bingo-flaps.jpg
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts should keep those things under control....

Wrong area.....
  • tonynguyen75
    Options

Idk if you're joking. If you are, ignore this. :drinker:

Bat wings = bingo wings and look something like this:
    1107d1193569968-bingo-flaps.jpg

The image here looks like the bat wings are mostly loose skin, which you cannot do anything about short of surgery like zyxst said. If this is your concern, no exercise or fat loss will help you with that much loose skin. It will have to be surgically removed. If it's not that severe, I've heard some loose skin being reduced over time without surgery. But this is a very slight amount.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    In for ideas.

Although I have to say, mine are still there but they have reduced a lot just with time and continued loss. They looked MUCH worse 20-30 lb ago.
    THANK GOD!!! And thank you for sharing this!! I was thinking they'd get worse!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I had lymph nodes removed and lost significant use of my arms for 6 months. My arms really went to mush fast. When I could work out again, it was very very slowly. But that's a part of my body that I will never get back to what it was.

I have found that I keep lifting, and the muscle gain will fill in, but it's taken a lot of time.
  • lrkidd
    lrkidd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    :huh: what the....

...sorry to tell you this but it's all about decreased body fat.
    just keep lifting heavy and log calories. You'll definitely see your body change after a few weeks/months

Spoken like a true twenty something year old.....Your body is going to react to your suggestions in a much different manner than a woman in their 40's. Sorry but it’s true. Our skin is much less elastic and things have a much harder time "popping back into place". I for one am very interested in the answer to this question too. I had a friend who lost 85 pounds and walked every day. Her whole body looked great until you got to her arms...and there they were....I am so scared this is going to happen to me too.:sad: :sad: :sad:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    In for ideas.

Although I have to say, mine are still there but they have reduced a lot just with time and continued loss. They looked MUCH worse 20-30 lb ago.
    THANK GOD!!! And thank you for sharing this!! I was thinking they'd get worse!

Yeah I understand that too because mine looked pretty ok when I was at my heaviest and they look somewhat ok now, but during the process there were times when they looked scary-bad and I know it sounds silly but I believe that sometimes (even with age, I am 37 so not a 22 yr old talking here) they do kind of "bounce back" a little bit...not all the way of course...but enough to make an improvement for sure.