misplaced anger

Options

Replies

• gpeach1
    gpeach1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Be proud of your accomplishments. And at same time be glad that she did something for her health too. In the end it all works out. You will both get to your goals. Just different routes.

Hope my explanation below may help lessen the anger you feel about it.

Gastric Sleeve/bypass is not as easy as many think. First you have to go through many classes. It takes about six months or more. You meet with nutritionist, the doctor and even psychologists. Even go to nutrition classes.

You have to keep food diary and have to lose a certain amount of weight during that six months. Month beforehand you have to follow some severe different diets. Forget exactly but a couple weeks before I think it is a liquid diet. Many lose a good 10-20% before the surgery is even done. Afterwards you are on a liquid diet for about a week. Building up to solid foods. It can take months. That is why they lose so quick at first.

From what I gathered you have a window to maximize the loss. Once that window closes the stomach does stretch enough that the person does have to put effort into losing the rest. My doctor was saying that the weight loss before the surgery plus the "forced" weight loss afterwards will give people enough of a jump in the right direction they can see the end and stay motivated. It is a tool not a solution.

How do I know so much? Was approved for the gastric sleeve and went through the whole process but changed my mind. Main reasons?

#1 - Others think it is easy way out . Worried I would feel shame for losing weight that way and emotionally eat more.
    #2 - The thought of never eating a big huge salad made me depressed!
    #3 - Being vitamin deficient for life. Was B and D deficient in the past. Caused health issues. Don't ever want to be that again.
    #4 - Complications. If something went wrong I could be worse off and gain more. Or die!

So you get a boost but in the big picture I thought it was easier to just get committed to changing my life by choice rather than having it change because my body was surgically changed.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Watch her eat sometime. Watch as she has tiny portions of food because eating any more will cause her physical pain. Not because she has the willpower to eat moderately. She gave up and said she has no control over her own eating, so she had a surgeon slice her open and hack away at her insides.

She'll generally be too weak to exercise. She'll lose lots of muscle along with fat. She'll have digestive issues and other physical problems.

While I'm sure this is the case for many Gastric Bypass patients, I have to disagree and argue that it's not always true.

I have a friend who had GBP surgery. Yes, she's eating much smaller portions, but it doesn't cause her physical discomfort. She just gets full. Much the same way that you and I or anyone else who didn't have the surgery and gets full will feel.

Additionally, she's never had any digestive issues. She'll be 11 years having the surgery this summer and runs half-marathons and competes in triathalons.

I'm not advocating GBP. I'm simply stating that everyone has their own reasons. Perhaps OP's sister gave up, but I know that at least for my friend, it wasn't just a trip to the doctor and a decision to get the surgery. There were months of physical tests and counseling sessions to make sure the surgery would be the correct fit for her. It was a process and one she is thankful for to this day.

OP should be proud of her accomplishments. Everyone loses weight at their own speed and everyone has their own way of going about losing weight. Your struggle isn't the same as mine, and my struggle isn't the same as yours, for example.

It's completely normal for her to have her feelings - it's her sibling and there is always some kind of sibling rivalry - even for those of us who don't have a contentious relationship with our sibs. Hopefully OP won't get too down and will focus on how far she has come and the amazing work she continues to do.

I'll hop off of my soapbox now ;)
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My sister, who I was very close to, recently lost her battle with Leukemia. Every moment of every day, I miss her. Maybe you should consider repairing your relationship with your sister. Perhaps it would then make the weight loss less of a competition (sibling rivalry at it's finest! :smile: ) and it could become something you can share. Then it wouldn't matter how either of you lost it, but that you're positive support for each other. Best of luck in your weight loss journey!

This.

One day, she'll be gone.

Let those negative feelings go, focus on your loss and try to find some common ground with her, so you both can celebrate your successes.

The enemy of happiness is envy

just my .02, hope it helps
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I totally understand!!!

I struggled financially and was frugal and Fought my way into better credit (after divorce), paid everything off, bought my own house after divorce, I pay my OWN Bills and have left overs to go on vacation this year. (by myself, independent woman)

However, my ex-sister in law - was on assistance for years and years, kept having kids she couldn't afford, didn't have a job for years and years - got divorced met a guy that makes fat cash and bought her a huge house, car and now is marrying her?! (before that her mom paid for a lot of her way/bills)

You = working so Hard, going through struggles, making some progress, inching up
    Her = didn't put much work into it, and BOOM, lands in her friggn lap!!!

I just try and focus on me. I think of all that I've overcome and think well, I know how to stand on my own, she doesn't. Plus everything I own = I Own, not leaning on some man or my mother. It makes me smile and I begin to feel good about all I've accomplished.

Make a list, all the positives, all the accomplishments you've achieved. She will never have that feeling!

Ps- I know my battle was finances, but you get the idea!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    She did cheat and your success will be earned through hard work. Plus give her a few years the weight will come back always does. Most gbs patients don't change their diet lifestyle after surgery and put most of the weight back on.

This is quite possibly the most ignorant thing I have read in a long time. Thanks for the laugh.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the money you didn't waste on a surgical procedure! And as others said... she might gain it back. You're doing it the right way.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    My sister, who I was very close to, recently lost her battle with Leukemia. Every moment of every day, I miss her. Maybe you should consider repairing your relationship with your sister. Perhaps it would then make the weight loss less of a competition (sibling rivalry at it's finest! :smile: ) and it could become something you can share. Then it wouldn't matter how either of you lost it, but that you're positive support for each other. Best of luck in your weight loss journey!

I like this answer the best
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    She did cheat and your success will be earned through hard work. Plus give her a few years the weight will come back always does. Most gbs patients don't change their diet lifestyle after surgery and put most of the weight back on.

This is quite possibly the most ignorant thing I have read in a long time. Thanks for the laugh.

Thank you :)

459.gif
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You and I might be related! LOL

I have been considering surgery since April 2011. My doctor told me to lose 90 pounds before he'd do it. We'll, I started losing weight, and lost the 90 pounds. At that point I was like, "Well, I've lost 90 pounds...if I've come this far, why not try to go farther and see if I can do this without it?"

To me this makes sense. FOR ME. My doctor said most people only lose about 30 pounds and can't get past it, so then they have surgery. It's not a cheater's way out. It's because they need it because for some reason or another they needed something more (could be thyroid issues, hormone issues, diabetics, could be a whole slew of reasons) to help them lose weight.

Of course, I have a hormone disorder that makes it difficult for me to lose weight too. So, the more I do this, the more I wonder how much the hormones and other issues really contribute to weight loss difficulty.....I think it has more to do with nutritional ignorance and/or not being able to control the inner child and/or just having hurt feelings about SOMETHING - like when I was holding on to being ticked that it seemed like so many other people could eat whatever they wanted without any consequence.

Ugh. RABBIT TRAIL....

Anyway....I know it's hard not to be pissed that you feel like you're working harder at it than she did, or that she's "cheating her way out of the hard work" - fact of the matter is, you're changing your habits because you want to. She's now in a position of changing her habits because she HAS to. It's a forced change. It's not all bunnies and butterflies to go that route.

You have to come to terms with the fact that that is her route. Just like your path isn't hers. Your path is different than hers. She's doing what she needs to do for her to be able to lose weight. You're doing what you need to do. It doesn't matter how long it takes her to get to where she wants to be or you to get where you want to be - it's not a race. Best thing is, you can both win even though you have different paths!!

One of the things my therapist and I keep talking about is that the last year was particularly hard for me -speed bumps all over the place. I told him that I felt like if I got the surgery, then I'll have failed. He keeps telling me the same things I just told you. It isn't failure - it's a tool. Just like when you need a hole in the wall, the best tool is a drill.

Focus on your journey. Other people can do whatever they want on their journey, and that was where her journey led her. The decisions she made were based on what was best FOR HER. You're making decisions based on what's best for YOU. Don't let what she does on her path derail you from yours!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I think you're just jealous.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, there is very much so certain people that I am very jealous of.

Just own it, accept it, be at peace with it.

I am very jealous of women who don't have to work, and slightly jealous of those who don't have to work full-time because they have a partner that shares their load.

I have to work because no one else is going to pay for my *kitten*, and I'm not a bum enough to go sponge welfare.

I'm just green with envy seeing other women get to spend days sewing, gardening, making crafts, raising children etc while I slave away in the office.

I have 2 sisters which fall into this category.

I'm not mad at her.

I can accept that I'm jealous of women who don't have to work.

It just is what it is.

Now I can go set in her garden on my vacations, since I'm too busy working and only live in an apartment and can't have one.

Everyone is a little envious about something, whether or not they admit it.

Just process it. If it hurts, feel the pain.

It's hard to stomach, but you have something they want too.

Do you have successful healthy weight loss without embarrassing surgeries?

I'm sure my un-working sisters would LOVE my disposable income and freedom. (I'm un-married, they're tied down.)

You're taking the first step by trying to recognize the feeling.

It's going to be OK.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options

This!! Refuse the negative. Idk what I would do without my sisters. Nobody is perfect. Accept her, accept yourself. Love her, love yourself. When her faults rear their ugly head, realize that none of us are perfect.
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I've been working on this weight loss thing since last autumn (well, numerous times before but with my heart consistently in it since then). I've had some bumps and road blocks along the way but I'm still at it and have lost almost 42 pounds. I have a sister who had way more than me to lose (easily 30-50 pounds more) and we have always had a contentious relationship (mostly we are polite at family gatherings but otherwise don't speak). I saw her recently and she is now smaller than me, just since December, because she had gastric bypass surgery. I am happy that she is in better health but I am really struggling with some anger and frustration that she started after me and got further before me, by opting for a surgical approach. I feel like she "cheated". I know logically it has nothing to do with me, and that I am really feeling good about my own changes; I like to exercise and look forward to it most days. I can't quite put my finger on WHY this is bothering me so much. I am not a crier but I get teary, frustrated, and angry when I think about it. It's just constantly in the back of my mind since I saw her, and I'm worried that it will get the best of my mental energy and I'll lose momentum and motivation. I probably need years of therapy :tongue: but since I'm not going, can anyone offer some suggestions to help me get past this, or have you had a similar experience?
    Your 42 pounds lost is a much healthier approach than your sisters. Keep in mind that the surgery she went though is dangerous and for some people doesn't take. ( I guy I work with did it and is now bigger than he was) You will lose slowly, surely and for good if you adoupt a healthy lifestyle. Just keep on pluggin away. I know I have a ways to go but I'm gonna keep on pushing on!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

+1
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    Try to be feeling the opposite of jealously.

Try to love that and be so happy for her!

Ask her for some clothes that are too big for her but might look good on you!

I bet she's having to pay for tons of replacement clothes all the time, get in on that!
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

I disagree..she is right for the majority...There is a small percentage of people that follow the diet after surgery but for the most part they go eat the stuff they became obese on. GBS requires a high protein diet. The two things they push the most are protein and water. Most GPS patients don't get enough so they end up with hair loss or thinning, muscle loss, and they start to put weight back on because they don't have enough LBM to even process the small amounts they are consuming. My husbands best friend broke his ankle and tore ligaments walking down a flight of stairs in his house because he didn't have enough muscle mass or ligament strength to keep his ankle from turning every time he had a downstep..and this was after a 230lb weight loss...if you don't follow the lifestyle changes and make it a permanent change...the weight will come back on..maybe not all of it, but a significant portion.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    PS

The reason she lost is that she didn't eat solid food for two weeks, than went on to eat baby food and blended food.

You don't need gastric bypass to take on the same diet as her.

Some how GB surgery makes VLCD and for lack of better terms medically induced anorexia completely socially acceptable, I guess because it's under a doctors order, not necessarily something they cooked up on their own.

If you want to starve and lay in bed for a week, do it.

Than eat baby food for a week.

Wow! You lost 20 lb! Imagine that!
  • KDesiP
    KDesiP Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Watch her eat sometime. Watch as she has tiny portions of food because eating any more will cause her physical pain. Not because she has the willpower to eat moderately. She gave up and said she has no control over her own eating, so she had a surgeon slice her open and hack away at her insides.

She'll generally be too weak to exercise. She'll lose lots of muscle along with fat. She'll have digestive issues and other physical problems.

And you'll keep losing weight on your own terms. You can still eat the foods you want. You can fuel your body properly and have a good workout. You can build muscle. You can be fit and happy and know that you did it all yourself. Your weightloss won't be because of some surgical procedure. It'll be because of the work you put in.

This ^^
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Without knowing anything about you or your sister outside of your post, it sounds like your feelings have more to do with your relationship with your sister than with your own accomplishments. You are doing a great job and you are losing weight the right way. Feel good about that. Gastric Bypass is not the magic pill many people believe it to be and I really feel strongly that people should have to go through a minimum of 1-year of therapy of some sort and intense nutritional counseling before being allowed to have the surgery as so many people end up horribly malnourished.

Keep doing what you are doing. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Most people put most of the weight back on after any type of weight loss. But, I'm not sure statistics would support the notion that those who have surgery have a higher rate of regain.

I don't know how surgery could be considered cheating. What rule did she break?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    "Cheating" is an silly way to look at it, as you aren't playing a game and she didn't break any rules. It seems more like jealousy but honestly why would you be jealous of someone who had a gastric bypass? She lost weight, sure, but she also has lost the ability to eat normally and she's had to follow essentially a VLCD in order to achieve that weight loss. If you want to follow a VLCD and lose weight quickly (which oftentimes is a bad idea and almost certainly isn't fun), nothing's stopping you. Personally, I'd rather work on willpower than altering my stomach so that I'm physically prevented from eating less food.